Tennin institute: FA or taxing?

You are right Swordsman is not a cure-all, but like I wrote at two less cost and 1 less bad pub than a Grim,  it may turn on the Archers and Grims (at least momentarily) by using up one of a finite number of Sharpshooters. Similar statement can be said for Parasite. Femme makes Swordsman sad, but at least versus Atman, Swordsman will be always be a two-sub taxer. But I agree Swordsman is not going to solve all my problems.

Could you (or anyone else) elaborate on your server building statement, specifically with respect to the Atman matchup?

Your statement vis a vis the code gates with Kit does not seem logical. Any one ICE will eat her ability. It is not a specific quality of code gates.

I had an interesting, but briefly held, epiphany when I placed an Ice Wall starting out my second match against an Atman build. I thought that it would be better to actually not advance the Ice Wall in order to spread out the strengths of my ICE, so my first Tenin advancement I placed on a Grim. Then the runner broke out Inti. Oops! False epiphany :open_mouth:

Anyway thanks again for the cool deck idea. It is great fun to crush with Archer again!

Sure, but it’s a dead card in all the other matchups. Either way, I wouldn’t run more than one.

Sure. The way I generally use Inazuma against a (presumably) Atman-less runner is a server of

• Inazuma
  • Grim
  • < some flimsy ETR piece>

Then I usually only rez Grim if they either can’t get out of the Ina they facechecked, or if they’re too short on resources after breaking it to also handle Grim. A very useful trick is rezzing Inazuma and rezzing the flimser, but keeping the ICE in between unrezzed. That way, they still have to keep breaking Inazuma, and they can’t really plan all that well - this makes it possible to catch them miscalculating when they’re overextending, which tends to make it catastrophic enough to hand you the game.

Now, this is something that doesn’t work as well vs. Shapers, because of the insta-installs and Atman. So what you do there is, you spread out Grims and Inazumas over different servers. Inazuma becomes primarily an Archer enabler, as there’s at least a 1-point strength difference (which is possible to capitalize on, after a virus wipe if the Archer is still unrezzed). Grim is the sort of thing you rez maybe one of, depending on what you need to do, how many Clone Retirements you drew and how much it will tax them. Sometimes, you can force a 5-str Atman by rezzing a Grim, then nuking it with an Archer - that’s particularly fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Criminals and Anarchs you can often catch with their pants down, in an Archer/Grim wipeout. With Shapers, you need to play it a bit differently, first rushing agendas while they’re still gated by money (or nuke their MO with a Grim, if that opening happens), then later try to out-tax with sheer number of subroutines. In general, I feel like Shapers require the most premeditated ICE rezzing - it’s easy to dig yourself into a hole without making an appropriate impact.

Sure, but by eating it with a code gate, you’re not giving her any added value. This is especially true of code gates that actually want to be in the front position on a server anyway (like, Inazuma, Chum, and possibly a Quandary) - by having plenty code gates, you’re reducing that aspect of Kit where she messes with your server building process.

Any one ICE will eat it, of course - but an Ice Wall that is just a barrier is better than an Ice Wall that is also a code gate :smile:

Still, I’d rather have an Ice Wall against Kit than a Quandary, because presumably Kit’s worse at breaking barriers than code gates and you can put another ice in front. Of course, if you’re planning for it to be the outermost piece of ice on the server, it’s the same, but having lots of code gates is definitely bad against KIt.

1 Like