Terminal Directive - A Narrative Campaign Expansion for Android: Netrunner The Card Game

When did Events go to the Heap again?

If I play Account Siphon as Steve, can I choose that same siphon as a card for recursion, or do I have to have another copy in the heap to benefit from Steve’s ability?

(Not that the Corp would give me the siphon if I only had one…)

That’s 5 syphons and 5 sot a game ;/

1 Like

Events go to the heap when they are done resolving. For Siphon, this means when the run is over. Which means it isn’t in the Heap when Steve triggers. (Also, lol, I love that they named someone ‘Steve’ and it looks like he’ll actually be Pretty Good.)

3 Likes

I thought it was like that.

I’m not really sold on Steve. Only thing I can come up with for him is lots of Siphon recursion, but he probably needs an AI for that…

Yeah but 5x Emergency Shutdown, 5x Syphon, 5x SoT, 5x Temujin a deck, still.
What about a lawyer up after a syphon ?

Oh man, he seems to be super strong !

5 Clone Chips or 5 Parasites, 5 Faeries…

Is this the case? “Make a run” refers to the initialization of a run on a given server, as far as I understood it (see this conversation that seems relevant to me).

If that’s the case, wouldn’t the run initiate when evaluating “make a run”, satisfying the card and allowing it to trash?

i wouldn’t think so because the card describes things occurring after the run (successful run, replacing access, taking tags).

I mean, that could technically be correct, but then you could still say Siphon is fully resolved after a “successful run” occurs (which would potentially be before Steve, since you choose order).

If “make a run” doesn’t refer to the entire duration of the run, then it works with Steve I’m pretty sure. If it does, then I think there might be indiscrepancies in the linked conversation (unsure though; would have to reread it and evaluate).

Actually thinking about it a little more, Siphon has to fire first due to it being a constant effect (if successful), but it also wouldn’t finish evaluating until getting to the access phase, so it might be the case that Steve fires before Siphon fully resolves.

Though, also not certain it couldn’t be the case that Siphon leaves a floating “if successful” ability and is considered resolved. I have a feeling that there’s past-precedent on this issue, but can’t recall it off hand (too many rules to keep track of…).

Regardless, can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that “if” specifically denotes a constant ability (and not a conditional)? Truly, the most intuitive of things.

/ruleslawyerrant

1 Like

The way it makes sense is that constant effects are those that do not reference time (‘when’, ‘the first time’). Because that’s what a constant is.

1 Like

Syphon is an event and not a current. It’s discarded right after all effects on it have been played, like all events but currents.

Rules p.11
"Events represent singular occurrences and are always trashed after being played." + the § after this. The conditionnal on it is done the same time as Steve, the runner choose which one goes first.

My counter-argument is such:

Cold Read

1 Like
3 Likes

The conditionnal on it is done the same time as Steve, the runner choose which one goes first.

Siphon sets up a constant ability, while Steve is conditional; Siphon occurs first without choice, because constant > conditional.

From link: An event that initiates a run is a special case, and is not trashed until the run itself is completed.

Alright that’s that; can’t use Steve with Siphon.

If, uh, anyone wants to debate pedantry further, I’ll be in my cave located next to the rules clarification thread… we do taco Tuesdays… it’s generally a pretty wild time.

11 Likes

what about the fact that since a run card starts a run, the run is one of the effects of the card that has to end before its trashed?

1 Like

i’m not sure what your question is. ironcache quoted the relevant text that such a run would have to complete before the event is trashed (unless he edited his post after your question; in which case, nvm)

not a true spoiler, but thought i’d share it anyway

background on the image: i made a post on fb about things in related media that remind you of Netrunner and posted this image. Damon responded with this:

5 Likes

10/10 would Oh Maker anytime : this refrain… <3
Great album ! :slight_smile:

Then there is an android (a clone ?) who is willing to be human another time : Frankeinstein meme, again. The golem escaping its creator. Fighting for Liberty, he/she must be Anarch.

I guess it’s a she and named Caprice :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a great album, and as @anon34370798 alluded to it deals with a lot of the same themes that are central to the Android universe. It’s a concept album about a future where humans and android coexist; there’s a lot of hate and violence towards androids, but also a thriving underground scene where they can be free.

I’d absolutely recommend this album and its followup, Electric Lady. It’s infinitely danceable psychadelic pop with a strong Motown vibe.

1 Like