Terminal Directive - A Narrative Campaign Expansion for Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Yep! You can nuke clone chips pretty easy too with Power Shutdowns or batty into Taurus. Trashing them and removing them from the game.

You can hunter killer to hit any part of their rig and lock it out of the game.

It seems pretty spectacular when it lands. Which will honestly be less than I think, but when it does it will be a sight to see!

1 Like

Well, I did say “seem”. I don’t play competitively, I just follow it and play casually. I was just wondering what kind of thought goes into the design process sometimes. I understand the meta shifts, often. Maxx vs Skorpios seems a little more than just adjusting your playstyle though doesn’t it? If a game lasts 9 turns, for instance, she gets 20% of her deck removed from the game just on her turns; that doesn’t even include whatever the corp can trash on their turns. Some people seem to think she can weather it. It remains to be seen.

With all that being said, I am excited for the new Weyland stuff.

Also, is it relevant that Hunter Seeker says “Trash 1 card”, and not “Trash 1 installed card”? You probably want to trash installed programs and hardware most often, but are there any decent scenarios where you might blindly snipe from stack or grip?

2 Likes

Is there any merit to splashing Chiyashi here for a more glacier build? You almost want them to break with AI installed so you can trash from the stack, where the runner has no control…

I mean it probably just eats an instant Parasifr, but that’s an argument we can make about a lot of things these days.

1 Like

I can’t imagine rezzing an ice that costs more than five credits these days.

3 Likes

One thing Skorpios could be good for is reducing the impact of parasite recursion. If you only ever have to worry about 3 of them, you may not have to pack as much ice recursion/redundancy

9 Likes

That’s a compelling argument. Even if they kill your ICE, you ate their Parasite, Permanently… I like that.

And the counterplay is to trash something else so they use their Skorpios ability, and then you ParaSifr the thing.

This is the sort of chess that I play Netrunner for.

(… No, go away Chess Programs, I wasn’t talking about you.)

6 Likes

Actually, Skorpios isn’t “the first time”, but a “Whenever…, but only once per turn”. So you can wait until they ParaSifr.

Right, but if they hit a Medium or Paperclip with Inject, it’s going to be awfully tempting to use the ability then… opening yourself up for the Parasifr.

2 Likes

Dunno if trying to counter giving someone an awesome benefit by providing them with an even better benefit is great.

7 Likes

I can think of scenarios where you might make that play. If the benefit you get from Parasiting twice is strong enough, it’s worth the sacrifice. And when the corp sees you play Sifr, they’ll probably hold the ability for Parasite unless they see something else juicy.

It works in that Netrunner is not a game of perfect information, so you might get away with the play going in your favor if the corp guesses the game state incorrectly. But, if the corp player is rational at all, they’re going to take the fact that they’re opening themselves up for an unpunishable parasifr into account, and choose what they believe to be the better of the two choices (and vica versa, if you parasifr before inject/frantic to try and get clip into the trash).

But I suppose overloading them with options when they can only choose one is more sound than I gave it credit for (I was half-joking, for the record).

It depends a lot on what the other option is, of course. If it’s something you’re likely only packing as a one of (eg medium), I might be happy to eat one more parasite over the course of the game.

This is what makes netrunner great, forcing your opponent to make important, impactful, interesting decisions.

6 Likes

In this topic: People unwittingly admitting that ParaSifr isn’t actually that big a problem because they’d rather take out a Medium or a Paperclip instead of preventing ParaSifr.

What would actually happen is more likely that you’d Inject, hit the Paperclip, they’d decline to use the ability, and you would decline to ParaSifr. It’s not like, “Oh darn, you called my bluff and didn’t eat the Paperclip, guess I just gotta walk into that Skorpios ability now.” It’s more likely that they’ll set up the Fork again some other turn. (Morton’s Fork, not Anarch’s Forked…)

4 Likes

It’s board state dependent. Sometimes hitting clip is much more valuable than hitting parasite. That doesn’t speak to the general value of parasifr, outside of the fact that it’s not, universally and unquestionably, the worst problem you have (which would be a very bad issue for the game).*

And, of course, nothing is forcing the follow up play if an intended bait isn’t taken. I’m unsure who insinuated that.

* General disclaimer, I’m not weighing in on SIFR’s strength here. I’m uncertain on the card.

1 Like

I may have been thinking of something else. I don’t think anyone said it, but it’s a strike against Skorpios’ possible power level…

1 Like

Yeah, in decks that likely only have one Paperclip (siphon whizz, Criminal), if your corp is capable of putting 2 barriers in a row and scoring behind them, you should probably hit the clip. In a Temuwhizz build that normally has 2 clips, you probably don’t rfg it if you think they’re likely to use parasite later that turn.

New preview article:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/21/why-do-you-run

2 Likes

8 Likes

Shaperomeda!