Terminal Directive - A Narrative Campaign Expansion for Android: Netrunner The Card Game

The announcement for the TD event also said that players would use one core, which I think is a good idea, both for reasons of logistics/cost, and also because (AFAIK) we still haven’t seen much of an answer to Scorched Earth in TD. Limiting the corp to 2x (and, to a lesser extent, 1x SanSan) is probably for the best.

True if you need to constantly borrow cards from each different opponent you play (the “extremely niche situation”). Less so if there’s some more-invested players the who are like “sure you can borrow a Magnum Opus; I have 6…”

@ovamod7: And only two SEA Source, too!

Given the way they’ve set it up as a good second purchase, I’d hope to see both some kind of meat damage protection and some way of dealing with agenda flood. Maybe not super great options for either, since it’ll never rotate and they’ll want to leave the design space open for future cards, but filling those two core set gaps has long been considered important for early purchases, and I would hope a set designed as an early purchase would take that into account.

@ironcache: I just don’t see that being a very common situation. If someone plays regularly with more-invested players, they’re pretty likely to either have a second core set themselves or be used to dealing with the limitation of only having one. And they’re extremely likely to have moved beyond using decklists from Netrunner set inserts, which are typically not great.

1 Like

They could also give us a non-tournament-legal solution. For example, a “Once Flatlined, Twice Shy” envelope that you open up when flatlined, and which represents a narrow escape. Maybe it’d give you cards to add to your deck for subsequent games, or it could function like a directive, giving damage prevention but with a disadvantage.

They could, but I seem to recall reading or hearing that TD is supposed to be a good second purchase both for the campaign and for new players who want to venture into organized play. Or perhaps that’s just what I’m hoping it will be; I think Netrunner could really use a general “buy this second” set. So I’m certainly hoping to see those two things in the tournament-legal cards.

They could do both, of course. I do think the campaign should have some mechanics for helping the weaker player if the two players are mismatched in skill, and an “open if flatlined” envelope would definitely be one way to do that.

There is no good second purchase for someone looking to break into competitive play. Someone with core + TD is going to get murked by someone with the complete collection (unless TD has a ton of power creep, which I would prefer not see). The second buy that gets you into competitive play is whatever you don’t own.

The championship decks would ideally fit this role if they didn’t keep getting fucked over. The first set of them wasn’t so bad; you could slot cards from the core to work around the MWL (there’s a couple players in my local meta that did this relatively successfully). Rotation is going to screw the second set though (EDIT: as a caveat, I haven’t actually looked at the championship decks; I’m making an assumption that I think is likely true).

Organized play, not competitive play. Not something for players who aim to start winning tournaments as soon as possible, because you’re right that they will likely always need to buy a lot more cards, but something that’s an obvious choice for someone who’s preparing for their first GNK and is hoping to win at least one game, or who’s frustrated with how very badly their core set decks do at their local weekly meetup.

It would be nice if the champion decks provided new players with a top-level deck they could open and play, but I agree that this is unlikely to happen due to rotation and the MWL. This years’ will lose fewer cards than one might think to rotation, but the cards they’ll lose are pretty important.

But I think it would still be very helpful to have a second purchase that lets new players substantially improve their core set decks without locking them into one deck archetype, or requiring them to consider all 31-42 data packs, or having caveats like “this Runner half of this deluxe expansion is great, but the Corp half is pretty underwhelming” or “you’ll also need to get this data pack and this one if you want any way to deal with agenda flood or meat damage.”. That’s what I’m hoping Terminal Directive will be.

3 Likes

We’ll see how it goes. If nothing else, I do hope you’re right; I’m all for anything that brings more people out to OP events, as long as it isn’t destructive to the competitive game (IE: power creep).

Team Covenant just put out an interview with Damon about Terminal Directive. The only new spoilers are Steve’s console and a Weyland executive upgrade

3 Likes

Yes K.P. Lynn YEEEEEEEEEEEES

1 Like

Different numbers on Bios here…

1 Like

Huh, interesting, so it is. In the article, it was look at 6 and NVRAM 4, but in this video it’s now look at 7 and NVRAM 5.

1 Like

7 choose 5 plus the 5 in your starting hand is pretty insane. You get access to over a quarter of your deck on the first turn. And that is not even factoring in a mulligan.

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna assume that the version spoiled through the FFG site what it ended up as. The video was probably filmed back around Worlds.

1 Like

I think he says at the start of the video that they’d “just announced” it so makes sense

Anyone translate the Greek on Adept? I do like these Sage style breakers, even if they’re not that great overall.

I think 7 and 5 make sense though. The general consensus was that 6 and 4 was quite weak. Still can’t accelerate drawing of those cards, but if this is what it’ll end up as, I’m much more excited. :slight_smile:

From the reddit thread when Adept was first spoiled:

Μεγάλο μέρος της μάθησης δεν διδάσκει την κατανόηση

Great/much learning does not teach comprehension

I modified the simulation I made up-thread for a couple of scenarios, out of curiosity.

bios64 and bios75 assume that NVRAM stuff only happens on the first draw, bios64d and bios75d assume that you get to do NVRAM stuff on both your first draw and mulligan (unlikely, but I can dream!). Odds of finding at least one copy of a 3x in your opening + mulligan + NVRAM:

45-card 0.5161
40-card 0.5609
bios64  0.7115
bios75  0.7397
andy    0.7472
bios64d 0.8312
bios75d 0.8655

7+5 for NVRAM is better for sure, but it’s not BANANAS.

4 Likes

More new spoilers:
Mammon, Polyhistor, and Process Automation
http://imgur.com/a/h6rZ8

4 Likes