The Geist Zeitgeist

I’m indescribably happy b&e caught on.

This ID screams pack in the jank, but unless more support arrives, only silly sons of bitches like me will play him, as all the good players remember why shit like link, cloud breakers and non passive draw effects suck on ID cards.

3 Likes

I was thinking something similar to this, although Faust (as it exists in the spoiler thread) over Eater seems like an interesting option if we can find the influence for a 3rd clone chip: immediately recurring the cards you pitched earlier in the run with a Clone Chip seems kinda sick, and being able to access after using our AI gives us more pressure on remote servers. Plus we save an influence to upgrade RDI to Medium or get that Clone Chip or whatever.

I want to try DLR in a similar shell. I don’t think it’s awful.

Geist has to trash a lot of things to catch up with Andy. I haven’t figured out how many, but I’m guessing it needs to be about 10. We’ll see…

1 Like

How much do we wish Faerie worked “properly” with Geist? I think a lot. God-dang, it’s annoying the best trash-to-use Criminal card doesn’t trigger his draw :frowning:

5 Likes

Geist thoughts:

1. Since he can essentially stockpile card draw on the board, is he good with Faust? Have your central breakers and then use Faust as your one stop shop to get into remotes.
  2. Why is Off-campus apartment out of faction? Could do pretty strong things with drawing two cards off every fall guy and street peddler but the influence in any criminal deck is painfully tight.
  3. Since he can cycle through his deck so fast could you play less of the unique cards like desperado and repurpose deck slots.

two things missing from the list: Muertos Gang Member and Forger (from The Underway)
i’m sure they’ll be up soon, and eventually this post will be meaningless, but i figured i’d mention it at least.

as for Geist, i am really pumped to try out our new steampunk joker.
i’m thinking a heavy connections deck with Off-Campus Apartment and Calling in Favors would be great for him
so many connections are supercharged by his ability and OCA

he might not even need the B&E suite at all, or at the very least, definitely won’t need all 9. Faerie vs. Shiv, i’ll have to see.
i’d probably convert what i’m running now in Leela to something like this:

fracter
1x Corroder & 2x Spike OR 2x Corroder
decoder
1x Zu.13 / 2x Crowbar
killer
1x Femme Fatale / 1x Alias OR 1x Mimic / 3x Faerie OR 3x Shiv (or maybe even a mixture)

i probably won’t use Spike at all tbh. it’s only really there to save influence on Corroder
i’ll have to test Shiv vs. Faerie. even though Faerie doesn’t work with Geist’s ability, it’s still probably a better breaker since you can boost it as much as you need.

so at this point, that’s 4 or 5 influence (6 or 7 if using double corroder).
other things i’d want to spend on influence on:

Utopia Shard
Off-Campus Apartment
Street Peddler

lower down on the list splashes i’d at least want to test:
Clone Chip
Self-Modifying Code
The Helpful AI if using Underworld Contacts (which i probably will try at least once, let’s face it)
All-Nighter
Deus X / Sharpshooter

influence-free cards that i really want to test with his ability:
Same Old Thing
Crescentus
Gorman Drip v1
Fall Guy
Grappling Hook
B&E

i’m not sure even Geist can make Cortez Chip useful, but it’d be interesting at least. maybe after a Crescentus derez?
i don’t think Crash Space will really work too well with his ability. i think it will just be how it normally is: useful for clearing tags, not so useful for preventing meat damage. yes, you have Fall Guy to keep him around, but who is going to Scorch you when you still have Crash Space on the board unless you’re playing against Argus or something

also, i can’t think of any reason to use Forger over Desperado tbh. sure, it gets your link up, but you trash it to use its ability, and yeah, you get to draw a card, but it can cause some problems by making all of your Cloud breakers cost MU. i see the same problems with The Helpful AI, but at least he can trash to boost a Crowbar or something on his way out.
if going for Cloud/Underworld Contacts/etc., other link cards are still probably going to be necessary, and i’m just not sure if i can look at myself in the mirror anymore if i put Access to Globalsec in a deck. i have a feeling that Sunny Lebeau’s cards will find a nice home in a Geist deck when she finally releases.

Fall Guy is kinda cute against Butchershop, actually: if you suspect Midseasons, EoT pop him for 2 more bucks to fight the trace, plus you have 6 cards in hand to prevent a Traffic Accident kill.

6 Likes

I had a difficult time finding info from Disruptor, it’s mostly when it was first released.

I’m pretty sure Disruptor only works on the base trace strength, as that’s where it’s usage window is. So at most, your savings will be 5c, 6-1 from Midseasons. Even less on other weaker but important traces.

And I think he needs to use them in an aggro style deck that aims to draw while setting the corp back (Siphon Crescentus), and slamming DLRs with Fall Guy protection as a stall. If I can mill 6 cards from the Corp the whole game I think it’s worth the package of 5 cards, especially when they cost the Corp 10 credits over the game as well. I just don’t see his ability useful if you are stockpiling them.

And the B&E suite is completely shit against a lot of things, but I think the modern ICE suite is actually quite susceptible to it. Barring annoying crap like Wraparound, Curtain, and Pup, I think he can easily break most threats for a good portion of the game.

He speaks to the jank, that’s for sure, and it’s a refreshing breath of air in Criminal where the only other jank out there was drip spam and collecting 6 a turn.

The obvious synergy is the cloud suite, but his ability also gives you chaff to pitch to Faust, so it’s going to come down to what you do with the few accesses you get. Vamp, Siphon and Incubator/Medium stick out to me, although I think fisk will do the vamp deck better.

Definitely stronger than Exile, as Exile has to both build and play sub-optimally to trigger his ability frequently.

1 Like

My thoughts on Geist: using the 15 influence correctly will be very hard!

Because you’ll use recursion, I think you can safely use minimum influence on breakers: 1 mimic and 1 corroder for 3 inf. That can be completed by faeri, breach, passeport, rex and/or some coulds.
Then that leaves you with 12inf, you probably want 2 or 3 clone chips, and then I don’t think the deck can be efficient without R&D pressure.

What I’ll try first will be:
1 corroder
1 mimic
3 clone chips
2 peddlers
2 RDI

2 Likes

i agree.

i was playing around on netrunnerdb earlier today and after looking long at hard at things came up with:

1x Corroder
1x Zu.13
3x R&D Interface
2x Street Pedller
2x Off-Campus Apartment
1x Utopia Shard

and then realised that i had no Clone Chips, which made use Street Peddler and 1x Corroder a bit scarier. maybe i can cut an RDI and go down to 2 like you.
re: that other thread, honestly, my biggest problem with criminal right is feeling like i have to spend so much influence on RDI or Maker’s Eye. maybe i’m just too used to playing shaper lol

Here I am playing around with the idea on nrdb… influence is so tight that I ended up with a build that had e3, 3 Spikes and Aurora for my primary fracter.

:sweat_smile::gun:

The influence of that garbage is currently 3 Street Peddler, 1 Medium, 1 Levy Access, 2 Clone Chips, and Zu.13.

5 Likes

Don’t know about Peddler in Criminal. Most Crim decks I know are a big stack of events (>40%) with a minimal delivery method. I know Geist makes the Peddler better, and the Peddler is good, but I’m not sure it’s good enough to spend influence on, even 1. We’ll see I guess.

It all looks a bit gimicky at the moment. I could say we’ve already done this with Leela and come to the conclusion that we should be playing the good Blue cards, but Geist is an economic ID that has to compete with The Queen at her own game. You have to play a pretty large critical mass of trash effects to even have a chance of catching up with Andy. I’m stumped.

3 Likes

My inf was 1x corroder, 1x zu, 3x street peddler, 2x the helpful AI and 2x clone chip.

Yes I’m forcing the B&E suite, hostage, and calling in favors. Its like an Iain Stirling build that found 5 more influence, and STILL has no multiaccess.

2 Likes

I think that’s a pretty fair point. Very few criminal events can be replaced with Street Peddler targets. Emergency Shutdown --> Crescentus is the only thing I can think of… and even then Crescentus is used in a very different way.

So which cards fall into the “can be played in a more normal criminal deck” list? Clone Chip, Same Old Thing, and Utopia Shard seem like the most obvious ones that are already seeing play. Like others have said, Crash Space can be used as protection against Punitive/SEA+Scorch, and give you siphons a bit more net gain. Crescentus could fit too, it’s certainly not a bad card just a bit less versatile than Emergency Shutdown.

Siphon, SoT, Crescentus, Crash Space makes a sweet package already. Gorman Drip is a bit janky but if you can get a corp locked down it’s not crazy. There’s maybe a Geist Headlock deck somewhere here.

Yeah, Gorman Drip has always seemed like a really solid card to have out after landing a Siphon. It’s just a matter of timing it, and wondering whether it would be better off as a different card.

Yes, Geist Headlock seems like an interesting concept… since the B&E breakers can get into servers for nearly free (from a credit perspective, they take a fair amount of time to set up), you could completely cripple their economy with Account Siphon, Vamp, and some Crescentus’.

2 Likes

Eater economy lock with BnE to get in for real accesses as needed, similar to headlock? (using crescentus and vamp but maybe not lamprey, but maybe??)

2 Likes

The bonus of economic denial is that Criminal has a lot of support for it. Sundew behind a single etr isn’t so great with Inside Job in faction. I’ve seen earlier attempts, and Geist combos with a lot of the pieces.

1 Like