The Geist Zeitgeist

I think criminal headlock decks probably want 3 clone chips and some combination of lamprey and parasite. All the heavy denial decks i’ve played in criminal are a bit sad about pop-up. I don’t really know how to solve that. You want at least 1 eater. Again it’s really hampered by the fact that you need to import all the stuff you use to actually break ice.

I don’t think “Headlock” is an archetype outside Reina. Reina denies any ICE rez, has all of the cards that are good for the deck in faction (Lamprey, Vamp, Xanadu, Eater, Parasite, etc), and most importantly has a plan and alternate economy options lest the headlock plan fails, meaning the deck can save for a big Vamp (usually better than the Corp can) or even just Keyhole them.

There’s far too much to import and you don’t get Reina’s ID text, which is crazy when it denies rezzing ICE.

6 Likes

I definitely think the flat-out economic denial idea is where he’s at. Broke corps are sad panda’s. You don’t even need multi-access if you just go where you want whenever you feel like.

Even if this were a deck that criminals could make, why would this be better in Geist than in Andy? A minor synergy with Gorman Drip, an otherwise unplayable card?

2 Likes

Better question: is Geist better than Andy? I don’t know, but if he’s going to come close (at least to a cursory look; maybe there’s something great I’m missing), the gameplan probably has to revolve around a certain set of cards: Crescentus, SoT, the home invasion suite, maybe Street Peddler and Clone Chip. So the gameplan is probably Siphon recursion and economy denial.

I wouldn’t run Gorman Drip (well I might test it, but I don’t think there’s enough room). Where’d that come from?

I think there are some really solid economy denial cards in faction that aren’t seeing much play. Crescentus is excellent, and other in faction derez options like Muertos coupled with Forged Activation Orders (his console is called Forger) and Emergency Shutdown, coupled with same ol’s that draw you cards. I think that’s generally where I’d start with him.

I hate how every time you start thinking out the box with criminals everyone says, it’s better in Andy. I’ll give the guy a shot first.

I like trying these things. I like the idea of just keeping the corp totally broke to accelerate into a late-game with one shot breakers that go wherever they want. Incidentally, his card draw ability accelerates this style of game, imo. In this instance, expose effects are really solid, especially drive by.

EDIT: I’m pretty sure it WILL struggle against NEH astrobiotics. But what doesn’t.

7 Likes

@MasterAir @Xenasis I think Geist decks will have at least 9-12 triggers, and he’ll definitely outdraw Andy’s +4, but that’s not a good comparison to make.

I think he can get a bunch of tempo, storing draw on all of his cards. This makes drawing the last half of his deck very easy, and he may be one of the better tier 2 Crims on the same level as Gabe and Ken.

Finding out what to do with that draw is important, and I think I’ll be going a super aggro style (to actually use his draw ability early and often) with

- 3x Forger, B&E suite, aggressively using it to clear tags from Siphon. I doubt I’ll be on 5+ MU often.
- Siphon Spam set (3x SoT), Data Leak, and Fall Guys
- Cheap cards to play out fast: Forged Activation, Muertos Gang Member, Crescentus
- Inside Job and Bank Job to punish remote play.

2 Likes

What if I told you that there was a card that was just as efficient at clearing siphon tags as using forger, but also let you draw three cards when you did it instead of just one? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I think we all hate lawyers?

Honestly, i dont think using forger to help with siphon tags is a good plan, unless it is an emergency situation.

2 Likes

It’s a net of 1c and drawing a card, and click-neutral - I don’t see it as unreasonable, especially if you have 3x in the deck. I don’t think sitting on 6+ cloud breakers will ever be a thing. Corps will force you to run or you will want to use your run events sooner than later.

@hypomodern It’s certainly a great card :smiley:, I just can’t have it clogging up my hand when I already have SoTs, Siphons, and Maker’s in there.

I dont mean it like that. I mean that if your plan is to play something to clear those tags, there are better options, and if your are playing forger, its probably not because of siphon, but something else (probably the link, and the occasional utility of the ability).

1 Like

The real question is what would you do with those spare clicks.

I would mopus him.

nah, you’re already running decoy and forger, run trimaf, lower overhead, not vulnerable to program trash, and doesn’t eat up MU (which you might need if the link doesn’t show up).

2 Likes

Also running Fall Guy, so if they manage to tag you, it’s a pain in the arse to get to the Mafs.

Sacrificial Construct to the rescue!

7 Likes

I’ve been playing with Spike and Crowbar, and they are awesome. They combine beautifully with Datasucker, and if you install all of them you’re still golden if virus counters get purged. Express Delivery is good, but not as good as Earthrise Hotel. Like MaxX, this draw mechanism may be TIGHT once we play it.

Those breakers tho.

1 Like

this post…changes everything.

-detective cursed since the 80’s

I’m feeling really good about Spike. It could exactly what Crim needs against Eli.

I’m thinking one Parasite two Suckers 3 Clone Chip nine B&E one Breach one Passport one or two Faerie should be pretty good here. I wasn’t into the sucker idea at first but combined with Parasite and Clone Chips, Armand could have a nice melange of tools to get where he wants. Maybe one Grappling Hook. The problem will be Curtain Wall, but I think you want to round out his trick sack with basic Inside Jobs and Shutdowns and Crescentus. Makers Eye and Legwork and SoT to play Kate’s central threat package. Maybe three SoT since that card gets Geist’d.

I’ve named a lot of cards here so everything else probably will have to be money.

2 Likes

Grappling hook makes a lot of sense. Let’s not forget the Muertos Gang Members, as well. It’s effective against and OAI’d CW, and has a trash ability if needed.

2 Likes