The Geist Zeitgeist

We are in a brave new world, where NBN is pretty dangerous.

2 Likes

For sure. I believe that Geist can cope with that - the ID gives good in-built protection - itā€™s just a question of how to do it.

Thereā€™s loads of great Geist cards that offer better protection than Plascrete. I am hoping - maybe wrongly - that in a world full of Data Ravens and Gutenbergs and QPM and 24/7, some of that Criminal anti-tag tech will end up useful.

NACH turned out to be a fantastic card. As long as one has creds, absolutely crushes any NBN tagging strategies (thanx for rezzing Gutenberg; Iā€™ll just pay 2). Why I think 3 NACH may be necessary if itā€™s being used. The tempo hit saving is huge.

4 Likes

Ran with an extra NACH and one Legwork tonight. Liking it thus far.

1 Like

You guys just keep installing NACH as you steal agendas?

1 Like

If you have no Fall Guy, nor Keyhole.

I was almost thinking of comboing in Film Critic. However, that is bleeding into Iainā€™s realm. Letā€™s not go too far down the road of insanity, and risk a copyright infringement lawsuit from Mr. Stirling.

3 Likes

Agreed. That Legwork is still up in the air. 3 games tonight that all faired well. Just never really able to fire the Legwork . . . Crisium on HQ in one game became quite a pain the ass. I kept thinking . . . man if this was a Feint . . .

1 Like

I love the tempo gain NACH gives you when you Account Siphon. It opens up turn like Account Siphon, Same Old Thing, Same Old Siphon that wouldnā€™t be anywhere near possible otherwise if you were having to avoid tags.

Iā€™ve previously felt it needs too much support from Fall Guys, but Geist doesnā€™t mind running Fall Guys anyway, so itā€™s pretty nice.

2 Likes

Or Andy. Iā€™m running 2 Film and 2 NACH in an Andy-sucker variant, and itā€™s been pretty good. No Fall Guys, because Iā€™m running more synergistic Dirty Laundries, but could easily add them in to keep the party going. Itā€™s not like Desperado/ST doesnā€™t do work on itā€™s own and Suckers are a good add-on. Earthrises could be Drug Dealers or John, but EH works well enough when youā€™re not guaranteed successes like you are with Eater.

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanityā€™s Shadow)

Event (15)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)

Hardware (5)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢

Resource (14)
2x Bank Job (Core Set)
2x Kati Jones (Humanityā€™s Shadow)
2x New Angeles City Hall (Future Proof)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
2x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
2x Film Critic (Old Hollywood) ā€¢ā€¢

Icebreaker (9)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
1x Mimic (Core Set) ā€¢
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ā€¢ā€¢
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Passport (Honor and Profit)

Program (2)
2x Datasucker (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢

15 influence spent (maximum 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

But yeah, it isnā€™t Geist.

1 Like

I really like Crash Space as a Plascrete alternative in Geist. It can prevent the same amount of damage with the extra card drawn, is a credit cheaper, and has an alternate use with the recurring credits e.g. for clearing Siphon tags. Wonderful in the Argus matchup. Great in an NBN-heavy meta, but unfortunately not nearly as good against Midseasons since the corp can just trash it once youā€™re perma-tagged.

1 Like

Are there any recorded Geist games where Levy is used? I see all those people better than me playing Levy, but I havenā€™t used it even once in 50 games or so, and I would like to see ā€œhow itā€™s doneā€.

If you donā€™t need it, cut it. I donā€™t think Kiv has one in his list, for example. Iā€™m happy to use it when Iā€™ve played 3 siphons (either siphon or same-old siphon) and Iā€™ve got Desperado and either Corroder or Rex (doesnā€™t matter how charged it is, just that itā€™s available for Clone Chip to get another one if needed) installed. I think without it, I run out of gas against any sort of Glacier.

Against NBN, I want to find my R&D interface first time through too.

3 Likes

I think 2+ Peddlers makes Levy needed - you can burn through the deck pretty quickly there.

If you donā€™t have Peddlers, Iā€™m not sure you need Levy but you probably need a permenant decoder/fracter/killer, and econ suite, in its place, or you burn out.

I think MasterAir is right - you can use it pretty early.

1 Like

I think you can think of it as an expensive Quality Time once you get to the midgame and nothing in your hand is particularly exciting right now. Try playing it like that for a bit, and if itā€™s still not doing it for you congratulations, you won 3 influence.

6 Likes

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

One thing Iā€™d add to these excellent suggestions is that itā€™s important to know where your breakers are when you Levy (assuming B&E suite). Iā€™ve been trapped before by Levying with no Faerie installed and slammed into an Archer that I then had to dig like crazy to find a Faerie for. Opened like a 3 turn scoring window and lost that game when I had it well under control.

2 Likes

I think Iā€™ve only used Levy at the end of my deck against PE. In most other cases, like you said, itā€™s great to drop it mid-game to refresh your hand for Siphons or find something you need.

On a completely different track: How crazy would it be to play Peacock over Passport/Rex? Peacock is generally bad against low strength multi-sub code gates, but just as ā€œgoodā€ as Rex is against Tollbooth and Turing.

1 Like

Itā€™s crazy. Donā€™t do it.

Enigma is often a 2x in a lot of decks these days, and Peacock will make you just hate yourself unless youā€™re running that server last click. Passport is the best option against centrals, and Rex is perfectly serviceable for remotes; Iā€™m not sure what problem Peacock would solve.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll have to play around with it. The biggest problem ice for me is always Turing and Tollbooth on the remote which Rex doesnā€™t really like to begin with. Plus, if you go Peacock you never have the problem of running out of power counters which can effectively save you a Clone Chip. What about Peacock/Passport then?

Also, Iā€™ve been messing around with Technical Writer a bit. It basically makes a majority of your installs either cost positive, or cost neutral which is pretty fantastic.