The Geist Zeitgeist

Got a random game night tonight, and thought I’d check out this criminal. Where are you guys at with the latest list or sum of group think best practice list at the moment? Anything up on NRDB or similar?

I like Rex. I think it’s a strong Breaker. I know it can cause trouble due to it’s limited life, but it’s much rarer than you’d think. You’re fine leaving the shell about to give your cloud +1 strength until you need to refresh it with a clone chip. I prefer it to Passport, I think, and I’d probably have it over Zu.13 even if Zu.13 was no influence.

I play Crescentus and Femme to deal with Tollbooth and Turing.

If I could have Yog.0, I would, but then I should probably be playing Andy, that list hasn’t changed since 2013. It’s still fine.

1 Like

If you want cloud breakers, I can recommend my list - which is basically @linuxmaier’s list. Gang Magic - BABW LCQ · NetrunnerDB

If you want Eater and denial, @mendax’s list is a good starting point. Geist in the Shell, 1st BABW LCQ, 3rd BABW finals. · NetrunnerDB

3 Likes

I do this quite frequently. I’m just saying wouldn’t it be better to leave something on the table that has added value?

Also, what commonly played code gates, other than Enigma, is Rex more efficient against than Peacock? They literally cost the same against Tollbooth and remote Turing.

Crick off Archives is one of the few that is more than a 1 credit difference.

Cheers!

Thing is, you only care about small stuff. Big stuff you just derez. Nobody should be rezzing a Tollbooth against you because it will get Crescentused (Crescented? Cresced?) . The worst cards are Quandary, Enigma, Yagura, etc, and I’d rather have Rex (or Yog.0!) than Peacock. Turing is by far the worst as it’s 4 for 5 strength, so you need a million little breakers or a Rex.

Also, I’ve been messing around with Technical Writer a bit. It basically makes a majority of your installs either cost positive, or cost neutral which is pretty fantastic.

What’s the swap? Dirty Laundry? Sec Testing?

2 Likes

Are we not just using Crowbars for small things though to get cheap accesses? Additionally, I’ve played plenty of games where I haven’t found Crescentus and Tollbooth goes up on the remote early. Like I said, I’ll have to play around with it, but from a numbers perspective Rex is only marginally better than Peacock in most instances and functionally worse than Peacock against ice that costs the same number of credits to break because you are losing a power counter.

Dirty Laundry for now.

IQ. Viktors.

But it’s mainly just the fact that Quandary/Enigma/Datapike - the relatively earlygame code gates where you want to exert your criminal dominance - make Peacock weep.

Crowbars are the least good of the cloud breakers, because Rex is pretty efficient for all the things you like to use them for. And there aren’t many 3-4 strength and 2-3 sub Code Gates where the cloud breakers really shine. It’s not uncommon to break Turing or Tollbooth with a Crowbar though. You can use a CC or Peddler for the +1 MU you need to crescentus them down too.

1 Like

Sometimes, normally on centrals. But you can’t play the ‘guess the card in the remote game!’ with them. Those one-shot breakers are really all about runs on your terms, and they have to be pretty good runs (multiaccess, Siphon, preferably with some de-rez included).

Additionally, I’ve played plenty of games where I haven’t found Crescentus and Tollbooth goes up on the remote early

Well, that sucks. But your solution is to run through it with Rex or Peacock? I think you are better looking at other tools than another crappy decoder.

1 Like

If you want to score an agenda sometimes you have to.

In the moment, sure. But at the deck-building stage, if that card is the problem, there are far better cards to include as as a solution.

People still play Viktor 1.0?

Rex is better at both Viktors, neither of them see much play. Neither of them are bad cards though.

Viper is also seeing more play right now, due to HB’s return (thanks @Danwarr & co :P) and Viper is also a nightmare for Peacock.

The codegates that Peacock is efficient for are certainly common, but even in HB glacier decks running both Turing and Tollbooth, you’re going to be as likely to see the painful ICE (enigma, viper) as you are seeing those efficient ones. If your best case scenario only gains you slight advantages vs Tollbooth and Turing while losing speed against Enigma and Viper (remember, sometimes you’ll have to bust those on remotes, too, especially if they see you play Peacock), how are you handling the loss of efficiency against NEH Fastro with Quandary? Or Jinteki PE with Yagura over RnD? I just don’t feel like the gains match the costs.

1 Like

So what’s the latest hot list, boys? Interested in the NACH list. Got wrecked by Dan’s Haarpsichord 24/7 deck last night.

I don’t think there’s ‘a list’ right now. Everyone is trying different things, and I am feeling a lot of the tweaks are very dependent on the local meta (HB vs NEH, Weyland or not, D&D or not…).

GIVE ME THE DECKLIST THAT WILL WIN WORLDS FOR ME

:wink:

10 Likes

I think the efficency you gain is by not having to install your decoder more than once and saving a Clone Chip for something else. You might be able to lean on Crowbar for the small guys to cover as well. With Parasite being so pervasive I’m just not seeing a lot of Quandary and Yagura.

You are 100% right about Viper though. Stupid AB Team. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, in the situation I’m trying to work Peacock in I’m adding E3s and a Grappling Hook with the extra space. Having a better answer for Curtain Wall might be nice.

We’ll see. If I hate it I’ll just go back to Passport/Rex. But having a card give you more board presence, even it is a bit more expensive, could be beneficial.

1 Like

I was playing the below, but Eater is really frustrating me these days. Too much NBN rush around for me to feel good about derezzing ICE, and having a rough solution for wraparound is not really ideal. I think it’s a good deck, but I’ve had too many games just be REALLY frustrating lately due to tricky breakers. I think I’m going back to B&E for now to access some cards.

Geist in the Shell, by @mendax

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord (The Underway)

Event (12)

Hardware (6)

Resource (17)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (5)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

EDIT: I’m actually slowing down on netrunner for a bit and playing more Virtua Fighter, but that’s for the Fighting Games thread!

I’ve actually been playing Gabe over Geist for the last few weeks because his momentum is absolutely crazy with Faust. The best Geist list is most likely some take on the NACH variant, especially against Butchershop.

Also @linuxmaier, hell YES you’re playing some Virtua Fighter! Wolf Hawkfield is my hero.