The Geist Zeitgeist

@spags how do you effectively utilize The Source without Film Critic? Seems like a big inf hit to not be able to utilize it more than once.

EDIT: Obviously fall guys helps keep it on the board, but you’re still having to pay a lot to steal agendas and Fall Guys were typically econ cards.

It’s an essential tool v. FA. Dropping one off a peddler is devastating. FG keeps it alive.

It is in there for specific matchups. I’ve really enjoyed it. Also, don’t underestimate it as a tool v. never advance.

1 Like

Great points. I’ve not played much Geist yet, but from everything im reading in this thread he seems like an excellent option. I’ll definitely be trying out some of these lists for SC practice.

Just won a GNK with a Geist deck, based on Dodgepong’s with On the Lam in place of NACH (it’s an easy swap). Also went up to two Legwork and a third SOT at the cost of a Crescentus (and decided to play 46 cards, which feels fine). The third SOT helps bring back OTL if I need to, since it’s actually more cost-effective to SOT an OTL and play Siphon from hand than it is to play Siphon and then clear tags.

Lastly, dropped a Street Peddler for a single Hunting Grounds, to deal with the Ravens/Data Wards/Tollbooths that I expected to see, but that’s the kind of flex spot. Could simply upgrade the Corroder to a Paperclip and get back to 45 that way.

Also did try him with Interdiction in place of Employee Strike, to help out in people ducking siphons/rezzing Crisium Grids, but it never really had the tempo I was looking for.

1 Like

list me, @tzeentchling

How do you guys like medium out of Geist? I personally play 2x The Maker’s Eye instead, they can be recurred with SoT and LARLA.

1 Like

Angry Geist Deck

Though honestly he’s not really that angry. More peeved.

On The Lam really is such a good card for him. Avoids tags, draws him a card, often makes money. Solid both if they’re tagging decks or for your Siphons. And you’ve got plenty resources to play it on.

4 Likes

You don’t have public viewing enabled.

Whoops! Try it now, I think I fixed it.

1 Like

Here is my list from today’s Reading SC (56 players). I came 14th (with Temples CTM as corp). Geist beat CTM, PE, HB. Lost to CTM and Palana (due to a really rare conflux of events that lost me the Levy via a Snek, and I could probably have won otherwise).

It’s easily teched against via Ark Lockdown, and Medium is better than Maker’s for decks that can’t keep you out of R&D. Against ETF (and most decks really) I prefer Maker’s Eye but it’s not much of a difference. Swap Paperclip to Corroder if you want to make that change. Scrubber could be another Strike, and Sanctuary could be another On The Lam, but I prefer it this way for Peddler/event distribution reasons. You should cut a Siphon, Sanctuary, Bank Job or a Forger to get down to 45 cards, but I can’t figure out which is right.

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord

Event (10)
3x Account Siphon
1x Employee Strike ●
1x Inside Job
2x Legwork
1x Levy AR Lab Access ●●●
1x On the Lam
1x The Maker’s Eye ●●

Hardware (5)
3x Forger
2x Sports Hopper

Resource (18)
2x Bank Job
1x Citadel Sanctuary
3x Fall Guy
2x Same Old Thing
1x Scrubber ●
3x Street Peddler ●●●
3x Tech Trader
3x Temüjin Contract

Icebreaker (12)
3x Crowbar
1x Mongoose
1x Paperclip ●●●
3x Shiv
3x Spike
1x ZU.13 Key Master ●●

Program (1)
1x Crescentus

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Martial Law

Deck built on https://netrunnerdb.com.

3 Likes

You’ve seen first hand how crazy Geist can be. Don’t you remember last SC season? I earned my first FFG playmate with that smooth criminal.

Same, Geist with Faust won me a Leela playmat.

So, Sifr is here and it could be real boost to cloud breakers. I found this deck from Kiv - haven’t tested it yet but looks promising.

SIFR Geist (45 cards)

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord

Event (5)
3 Account Siphon
1 Dirty Laundry
1 Levy AR Lab Access

Hardware (4)
2 Şifr
2 Sports Hopper

Resource (22)
3 Aaron Marrón
3 Fall Guy
2 John Masanori
1 Kati Jones
3 Off-Campus Apartment
1 Same Old Thing
3 Street Peddler
3 Tech Trader
3 Temüjin Contract

Icebreaker (11)
1 Atman
3 Crowbar
1 Inti
3 Shiv
3 Spike

Program (3)
3 Crescentus

1 Like

Really digging this list and I’m finding a lot of success with it, but I’m thinking it needs room for a 1x Turning Wheel.

2 Likes

@PanzerD Here’s hoping you can win a second this year with Geist as well… He’s very strong right now. I’ve been playing him more recently and I’m liking a lot of what I’m seeing.

1 Like

Hey gang. New MWL since the last post on this thread, curious how people are feeling about the second-least-shirted runner on the block at the moment.

Here’s what I’ve been on recently. Pre 1.2, the 3 extra faust influence went to a mix of off-campus, street peddler, and a flex spot (utopia shard or film critic, I think?). Geist feels pretty strong against more glacier-y matchups, and hopefully you have fewer horizontal matches to deal with. Mad dash is another way to capitalize on cameras and lets you double-dip with FTE.

I haven’t picked up TD yet, but Dean Lister is going straight in as soon as I do. Raymond flint does a surprising amount of work, especially since the B&E breakers don’t lend themselves too well to remote camping.

Geist Cameras and Connections

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord (The Underway)

Event (10)

Hardware (10)

Resource (17)

Icebreaker (9)

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Daedalus Complex

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

It has been nearly a year since someone has posted in this thread.

How do people think Geist stacks up against the current meta Corp decks, which appear to be Palana, AgInfusion, Azmari, Skorpios, Titan, maybe a version of CI.

I’ve been playing Geist actively for months. I loved the fact that he was naturally resilient to a lot of things you would normally run tech for:

Basically unkillable to net damage decks since he can leave 3-7 cards worth of paid-ability draw just lying around.
Sports Hoppers answer Data Loop-Musashi-Obakata-Punitive without spending your slot on Critic.
Could potentially get up to 4-5 link and just leave it installed vs NBN
You’re running at least one Levy for value, so you’re resilient to PU and any other attempt at thousand cuts.

Once the Cryptids showed up, they add the benefit of being able to beat shenanigans that usually require AI (Mother Goddess, Excalibur, etc) while also avoiding actual AI hate. Also blanks Sandburg and IT Department.

3x Corporate Grant not only answers Scarcity of Resources but slows the Corp down giving you time to install all your crap.

But lately I’m convinced that Pirate Hayley is better at being Geist than Geist is.

Since your game plan usually involves running low on credits to get your Tech Traders and other goodies set up, it feels like Hard-Hitting News, Stinson, and/or Asset Spam pretty much just rolls over you. Especially the current Azmari flavors that run 3x Scarcity + 2x Death and Taxes then HHN+SEA.

Geist is pretty good right now and is about to get a lot better with Rogue Trading

that’s basically my assessment. i think i’ll be really happy to migrate away from connections and back to using his cloud breakers. i don’t see much point in Spike (unless you expect a lot of Endless EULA), but Crowbar and Shiv are great for FC3 and Anansi, respectively. Also for DNA Tracker if you get enough of them (5 is easy enough, and 6 is just 1 more)

the main problem with Geist is it has a really rough Titan matchup, and that is the fastest and one of the strongest corps right now.

1 Like

I think Geist is a Tier 1 Runner currently. I took 2nd in a 10 person SC with him yesterday, losing once to eric_c Azmari in the Winner’s Finals, 7-5, facing 2 Scarcity in the top 7 cards. I also faced another similar Az, seeing 3x Scarcity in top 10 cards, and fought through.

I went with the @Heinzel -ish build, that @TugtetguT posted. I adapted it slightly, preferring On the Lam and PolOp (the later saved my life when facing Blacklist in a Jinja remote). It’s a strong build versatile, but I kept wondering why I was having so much trouble v. that Azmari. Turns out, I forgot to add the fuccing Nanotek! In my only loss, their ICE was 3x Hounds and 2x IP Block, which turns out to be a quandary v. Saker and Turtle. Would’ve been a breeze with a killer… :roll_eyes:

re: Titan
This build has one of my fave cards, The Source, which not only can slow Titan, but on a Peddler, can straight murder them. Fall Guys keep it alive, and it even does well v. most dex. Never Advancing 3/1s or 3/2s becomes a problem. My only loss was due to an Azmari having to NA a 15min. in a 4 ICE remote through a Source. :sweat_smile:

Anyhow, Geist is good. Pirate Geist is fun, and a build with Grant/NuSiphon/Rogue should be very tough.

3 Likes

I’m late the Geist party, so I’ve missed the argument for moving away from the B&E breakers. Is it simply a matter of freeing up slots or are there other issues that make standard breakers the way to go in Geist?