The MaxX Thread

During SHL2, I had like 80+% win ratio with my Doggie Kate against Fastrobiotic.
This season, I haven’t lost a single game to astrobiotic with RegAss MaxX.
We playtested a tons of games here in France/Belgium with Medium Andy against Fastrobiotic and at the same skill level and the same quality of draw, the matchup tilt heavily in favor of Medium Andy.

So yeah, a bad draw for the runner coupled with a strong draw from the corp is a huge uphill battle but this kind of situation doesn’t happen that often and on a large amount of games, the runner deck i’ve cited tend to have a really good shot at taking down NEH. And I’m not even talking about Leela who regularly crush NEH in UK.

But then, I also think a lot of Fastrobiotic players are very terribad on their decision making.

I’ve been thinking about A 100 card Maxx deck. My strategy: win my corp game and then shuffle Maxx, take a mulligan. Shuffle again. TIME.

9 Likes

Along the same lines, maybe the best defence against a Maxx keyhole deck is a 100 card corp deck. Shuffle thoroughly after every keyhole!

What is the real problem, is there some MaxX working builds forbidden to talk about in a MaxX thread ?

The main reason there was some arguments to me is people saying “won’t work” and me “it should because blablabla insert some true facts here, insert some bs here”, then me blablabla again and more blablabla on top of it.

Now, it works. People could be telling me it won’t work and I’m so wrong today, that still don’t make me lose.

Don’t worry about me, I don’t care and won’t share this deck here if nobody want to talk about it.

Reg Ass (45 cards)

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (15)
2 Deja Vu
3 I’ve Had Worse
2 Knifed
1 Legwork
1 Levy AR Lab Access
1 Lucky Find
1 Queen’s Gambit
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
3 Clone Chip
2 Grimoire

Resource (10)
3 Daily Casts
3 Kati Jones
2 Liberated Account
2 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
2 Corroder
2 Mimic
1 Yog.0
1 ZU.13 Key Master

Program (9)
1 D4v1d
2 Datasucker
2 Imp
1 Medium
3 Parasite

So, here’s the list I’ve been working on. I have given it to a few people, and from what I’ve seen, despite those players being really good for the most part, this deck has the potential to win a lot. Obviously player skill, variance, and the fact that people don’t generally expect this out of Maxx for the time being play a factor, but I’ve only actually heard about it losing 2 or 3 games so far out of at least 30. (@Calimsha and @hhooo made some changes, so not every list is the same, but they’re pretty close for the most part).

I’m writing and article about it now.

6 Likes

is that singleton QG worthwhile? i’ll have to give your list a spin for sure

My list play a Scavenge instead of Lucky Find, a second QG and a second D4V1D.
I don’t think adding 2 card change fundamentally the variance of the deck, especially since you got those 2 random mill every turn. Ithink having some flexibility and better answers against certain matchups is totally worth increasing the variance of the draw by less than 1% :slight_smile:

For instance, @mediohxcore said he struggled a bit against Blue Sun, something that never really occured to me, since i’m playing a 2nd D4VID and Scavenge to reset either david/imp or to use it as a tutor for some breakers in the trash when imp/d4vid are depleted.

2 Likes

I encourage everybody to play this deck or variations thereof so I can go back to playing Cambridge style PE. :smile:

Played against like …2-3 cambridge PE with this deck, haven’t lost.
Killteki is REALLY easy to play around when you understand the matchup and how does it play. In fact, I’m gonna say that MaxX is probably better prepared against PE than other anarch without keyhole or crim without Feedback Filter for the virtue of not having to click on the first draw.

5 Likes

I am sure you’re right based on your 2-3 game sample.

From probably around 75+ games with Jinteki PE, my problem is people who consistently finish the turn with 5 cards in hand, not those who start with that. Hence Feedback Filter is a problem and Wyldside, not so much.

1 Like

ANECDOTAL DATA CHECKIN TIME:

My MO MaxX is still undefeated through 14 or 15 games. It’s got 47 cards in, because the only troll better than a 46 card deck is a 47 card deck that mills 2 before your first turn anyway :).

More generally:

I maintain that Siphon Recursion is marginally less good in MaxX than all-out warfare on ICE via MO. I don’t need your money, corps, I need you to just try to keep your ICE rezzed. Just try it. Eventually you will run thin and I will Wanton/Keyhole/snipe the last couple of points I need. But obviously people have been lighting up the scoreboard with Siphon Recursion too.

A topic for another thread: is it just my playgroup or has the shine really come off of corps? It seems like all the new anarch hotness has exposed decks that didn’t have a particular vulnerability before in a big way. I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THE CLOT-STYLE FA KILLERS, sweet jesus.

5 Likes

I think you should post your deck for discussion. The reason people got irate previously was you were speculating at length about something completely untested. Some of that cynicism will have carried over, but I’m sure we’re adult enough to get past it.

2 Likes

This makes me think 2 Clone Chip / 2 Scavenge might be good.

1 Like

I also had like 90+% win ratio with almost every other runner decks i’ve been playing these last 6 months against Killteki, wether it’s in Shaper or in Criminal. Feedback Filter is indeed a nice fail-safe for the same reason those deck straightly lose against deus X recursion. And there’s a ton of games, both in crim or in shaper where I never needed to pull-off the Feedback Filter or the Deus X more than once. People lose to that because they don’t respect the threat of ronin but it can be easily played around. Between Imp to remove the emp or the Future Perfect, IHW on the big dig turn and the strength of having a free draw every turn, there’s way enough techs out of MaxX to beat the shit out of PE Killteki.

It’s something worth testing, yeah. But I think 3 clone / 1 scavenge is probably better for the virtue of being able to pull of some shitte mid-run.

I don’t like the QG, but love the Medium.

1 Like

The game is better when the runner is better than the corp. Glad to see that back en vogue.

2 Likes

The big boxes are really meta-swingy. I don’t think there’s been a balanced one. My gestalt is that Shaper got a lot more from CC than Haas; J > C for HP, and now another “runner box.” In between big boxes, the meta gets steered by the never ending trickle of awesome yellow cards. I think a significant factor in balance is the amount of risk the Corp must take to win. When there are relatively low risk, high power strategies available to the Corp, the game gets kinda boring.

3 Likes

Definitely. The era of corp dominance is over. When I play as corp I’m actually worried again.

All three runner factions are now huge threats. It’s a fun time to play the game.

4 Likes

Legwork and security testing were powerful enough that I’d call H&P a runner box as well.

3 Likes

Agreed. Giving criminals a ‘click for 3 credits’ option (since they were all running Desperado anyway) was a big deal, particularly as a resource costed at 0!

So far from testing O&C, Anarchs basically got some good IDs and I’ve Had Worse (maybe Knifed). They had good IDs already. Admittedly, MaxX is powerful from a pure numbers perspective, Valencia opens a new line of play and Kim is well placed in a meta focused on scoring or killing via key operations. Eater is so-so and supports some old Siphon spam styles. But O&C isn’t the amazing Anarch box I think many were expecting.