The MaxX Thread

Did you take my list and change it or miraculously come up with this on your own Niles? :stuck_out_tongue:

The doppel plan is interesting. The lucky was so-so for me but I liked having legwork to SOT. Is 1 doppel 1 grimoire insane? Also, would probably stick with 2 Imp 1 Medium. Seems crazy to give up the utility even if Imp is generally better.

2 Likes

Thanks dan for coming up with a non-gimmicky max deck that I used to base mine off of! =p All the Keyhole jank was so uninteresting to me, and I’d just been testing Power Nap Max until yesterday.

Also try Doppel, it’s so good with Wanton/Imp/etc

1 Like

I will. Going to try a lil hybrid jawn.

I specifically stuck with the Imp because I knew there was going to be a lot of Grail ice today, and I think I’m going to stick with it until something changes corp side. I don’t think I ever played the Stimhack or the David, but there were situations where both would have been useful. Medium is probably too good not to play, but this isn’t some fine-tuned deck.

And yeah, 1 doppel 1 grimoire is super-crazy

Edit; Oh and Dan, just for you, I played an excalibur in RP today. Only drew it once, but I scored all 7 points behind it (alone) against a deck without AI. Ash for Nisei, Nisei counter for Nisei, Nisei Counter into TFP.

14 Likes

Niles, you are blessed.

1 Like

That does sound like an actually good use case for Excalibur, rather than the completely ineffective “Excalibur as only ICE on Archives” bullshit everyone seems to be using it for.

2 Likes

If you’ve got Caprice/Ash/Nisei Counter you can score behind a Data Hound.

16 Likes

quick, now everyone run and put data hound in your RP decks :smile:

10 Likes

Do you think it’d be risky to drop Zu? How many Lotus Field did you face that day? I think Corps are crazy not to be running at least 2 Lotus Field, across all factions.

Lotus field dominated the meta because of parasite and yogosaurus.
I’m seein much less of both, so I don’t think 2 lotus fields are required.

The only option besides Zu is Knight, which sucks vs Blue Sun’s Lotus Fields. I like having it anyway, it’s nice to have a 1 cost decoder around.

It’s a game theory problem. You either want enough other people to be running Lotus Field so you don’t have to because people aren’t running Yog/Parasite as their decoder, or enough people not playing around your Lotus Fields so it demands that your opponent finds their secondary solution.

3 Likes

18W-9L at the moment, with a 77 card deck.

17 wins by score, 1 win by decking out the corp
4 losses by score, 5 losses by flatline.

At one moment I was 15-4.

How lucky I am with my “stupid” plan.

Meaningless information alone. Have you tried a 45 card deck?

I am at roughly 30 / 7 W/L with a 45 card Maxx deck. Virtually all of those losses were directly attributable to mistakes I made.

Please @maznaz, don’t get the discussion started again!

PS:
A loss usually directly attributable to some mistake you made

1 Like

Fair enough on point 1.

On point 2, I am not so sure. A lot of my other runner decks fail in different ways. Simply running out of steam as my opponent sets up too taxing servers and my economy dries up, or failing to prevent remotes being set up before I can get breakers out. I think the prevalence of Stealth Andy decks is largely due to runners losing against RP with traditional breakers through no obvious mistakes.

My point in making that claim was that there are very few games so far that I can legitimately blame a weakness of the deck rather than noting some obvious incompetence on my part. The exceptions are taxation decks (HB and nearpad) that have used assets to prevent siphons landing, where I have felt my deck unsuitable to keep up with the taxation.

On the MaxX topic :

http://www.twitch.tv/d1en/b/626230656

The second and third games are me playing NEH against Bblum playing an Eater/Keyhole/Siphon MaxX deck. The last one is my take on the RegAss MaxX against a fairly standard RP.
The two NEH/MaxX games are pretty interesting because it show the weaknesses and shortcoming of this gameplan.

1 Like

Are you sure they don’t just show the strengths of NEH? I haven’t got time to watch them at work at the moment, but thanks to stealth andy and Maxx demolishing regular RP decks, doesn’t that just leave NEH sitting at the top of the pile as the corp deck that can consistently beat all runner decks?

Andy Sucker, Medium Andy, RegAss Maxx and PPvP Kate all have 50+% win ratio against Fastrobiotic, with kate and medium andy around 60+% (and probably way more if it’s played by an experienced player against an autopilot NEH).
There’s a lot of weaknesses in NEH which can be exploited against but most of them aren’t glaring :wink:

So no. NEH is really far from unbeatable right now and each runner faction can make at least one deck who can have a positive win ratio against the entire field.

I have a hard time believing those figures. An astrobiotics NEH deck being at a disadvantage against those archetypes does not tally with my experience of using the deck. Are they based on your own testing or some data I’m not aware of?

I believe you have a positive win rate against those decks yourself, so you’re attributing overcoming that deficit to pilot skill alone?

In my experience, Maxx eater/keyhole/siphon fares no worse than other strong archetypes against astrobiotics. Sometimes you just lose.