The MaxX Thread

It’s confirmed by snow-jax. That’s as confirmed as it will ever be until we see the cards (and snow-jax is pretty much 100% for spoilers so far).

Good to know

Running to the MaxX-Run fast, run hard

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (33)

Resource (3)

Icebreaker (3)

• 3x Eater (Order and Chaos)

Program (6)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

I was thinking something like this would be enough by abusing power Nap trashing bonus. The problem is that the deck might need more recursion but not so sure. Any ideas? Just hammer Keyhole asap and treathening Singularity runs with a pile of money.

2 Likes

I suspect this is exactly what @spags had in mind when he said his “napping Noise” list would “get more traction with O&C” :smiley:

4 Likes

This is my take on her as well, but I’m prepared to be blown away by Punk Rock Recursion :). In a best case situation, I think she’ll be great.

I m pretty sure she will be one of the very best runner id. I dont care for trashed cards, just give me the extra click ! She is a tempo beast, as is Andromeda, but her ability doesnt fade away after the first turn. She doesnt do anything special, she is just a consistent corp killer, just like her criminal counterpart.

Inject is pretty amazing in her if your recursion for programs is Deja and Clone Chip. I think you want to draw a bunch and build up your heap as fast as possible.

I’m not convinced she is going to be the best runner id, but she should be good and is one of the most interesting runnners we’ve seen in awhile both from a thematic and a build/play perspective. Is she the first runner where you will consider SoT and Deja Vu in your opening hand a good thing?

My big concern is not being able to tutor since all the cards in the world don’t help if you can’t get in. I’m thinking 1x Special order might be good to help smooth out games where you are waiting for breakers to hit the heap. Then just a ton of econ and powerful event singletons for SoT.

3 Likes

This was my thought too. I think you need infiltration. Otherwise you are going to be spending much of your time and resources on Singularity runs.

1 Like

I think I agree with @Calimsha and @hypomodern for now, but I will definitely be giving MaxX a fair amount of testing. That Lucky Find/Power Nap list seems strong to me. What if they ICE archives though? Eater doesn’t let you steal anything from Archives.

Question: how does Eater interact with the Shards? Can you install a Shard for free instead of accessing 0 cards with Eater?

Why couldn’t you? The Shards have the same wording as Siphon and all the other replacement effects.

2 Likes

And it still lets you get in for retrieval runs, too.

Bingo. However, I think you need a better use for all that money. Enter Vamp.

Also, I kind of like Duggars and Frame Job, but I also regularly smoke crack.

4 Likes

It’s not the end of the world when your stack runs out as the runner. Magnum Opus and Run economies that build rigs can go many turns without drawing. You could think of her as 12 free draws then a blank ID.

Early game Trope, building up 9 counters so that you can get a Diesel out of your ID is one play and not particularly great. But late game Trope with say 3 counters, “reshuffling” Legwork, Clone Chip and Liberated Accounts then draw draw draw back to an empty deck is a pretty reasonable tutor to close out the game.

Personal Evolution? Feedback Filter.

3 Likes

I like Frame Job too… so what’s half-crack? I should talk to my local stim dealer to get the name of this stuff…

1 Like

I’ve played 2 games with NEH against MaxX at this point and I was not too impressed with her ability to actually beat them in time. I know this is not a representative sample. But I’m just going to give you my feeling on how the games played out. I won both games despite some impressive moves on MaxX’s part (Eater -> Wanton Destruction, Eater -> Silverware, Eater-> Keyhole). The problem is that the deck relies heavily on Eater, and if they are difficult to get to, either because they are milled along with an early clone chip or 2 or because they are just on the bottom, you just watch the game slip away against the FA player. The other problem is that you are spending an awful lot of influence on recursion, so you don’t have the option of putting in things like Special order. If you aren’t running Corroder (which I think you should) then Wraparound can give you trouble. And if you do run Corroders, how many? And how do you get them in time regularly enough to not have Wraparound slow you down significantly? On top of that, what happens if people start throwing one off Swordsman into their decks? Jinteki alone is going to make up a significant portion of the meta game, and lot of non-NEHFA will be able to spare an influence for these.

Things might change once clot comes out (or not, if if Cyberdex Virus Suite is going to be as big as I think it will be) but if Clot isn’t out for Store Champs season, I don’t think MaxX will be a good choice.

2 Likes

I think Swordsman’s time is coming.

4 Likes

Two games really isn’t a representative sample. And really FA NEH is dominating everything (relatively) already, so even if she does 90% as well as the best Andy anti-NEH build that’s fine with me.

1 Like

Wraparound is always going to be an AI problem. The Eater/Keyhole plan might even work better in Quetzal. But it’s not MaxX causing the problem here.

As for a card being on the bottom of your deck: that’s an Anarch problem that MaxX goes furthest to resolve.

2 Likes

What did I just say? :smile:

In seriousness though, you aren’t wrong, but it was also enough for me to get a feel for the match up and that’s often all we have to go on in this games (I think really accurate data in Netrunner actually would require multiple hundreds of games for each match up since a single game can change drastically based not only how your deck is shuffled, but how random access go, particularly on HQ. After winning or losing a game think about how the game would have been different if you had gotten the 1/5 Astro out of their hand the turn before the scored or Vice versa )

The point stands that she is often going to be slow setting up and she has a commonly played soft counter and an easily added hard counter. These are problems that need to be addressed and I’m not sure the deck is all there yet.

Also, based on what I saw and from the decks I’ve seen here, I’d be surprised if she had anywhere close to as good a matchup vs NEH as Andy has. I think Andy with 3 Legwork has a really good shot at beating NEH, easily over 50%, and this deck will have a lot of problems with what Andy excels at: getting set up fast enough to stop that first or at least second Astro from scoring.

Hello internet,

Figured I’d try my hand at netrunning. Long time Legacy Magic player, so in my mind’s eye card advantage is king and the graveyard (heap, whatever) is a resource. MaxX looks fun. As does that CT/OM/PN deck. And Eater looks pretty easy to play what with not having to memorize what ICE combinations it breaks whilst deckbuilding. Also, whilst ICE destruction might not be the bestest strategy in the game (Parasite notwithstanding), but it looks like a pretty straightforward way to leverage outdrawing and outresourcing the corp. Thusly:

OM Nom Nom

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (40)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Forked (Order and Chaos)
3x Frame Job (Opening Moves)
2x Hostage (Opening Moves)••••
3x Inject (Up and Over)
3x Knifed (Order and Chaos)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) •••
3x Power Nap (Double Time)••••• •
3x Queen’s Gambit (Double Time)
2x Retrieval Run (Future Proof)
3x Singularity (Double Time)
3x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
3x Steelskin (Order and Chaos)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)

Resource (2)
1x Hades Shard (First Contact)
1x Oracle May (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (2)
1x Eater (Order and Chaos)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (1)
1x Keyhole (True Colors)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Basic idea is to get an early May, happily deck myself at a speed of at least 4 cards/turn and then turn on the backburner once I’ve dug out my setup and can Power Nap for 10+ credits/turn.

Haven’t had a chance to try it mind you since I can’t figure out how to update OCTGN to Order & Chaos? Any way to actually make this particular pile competitive, preferrably whilst keeping the rigless flair of it? I figure Mimic is a natural fit for the “flex spot” of the rig what with Architect and Swordsman being a thing. Parasite would be nice, but that would probably require at least a token Memory investment - Djinn could maybe help it setup and could tutor parasites post-LARLA in order to not clash with May. Then again that would lose horribly to Power Shutdown, and not having to bother about setup is half the allure to me anyhow.

EDIT: Hmm. Come thinking of it, Utopia Shard allows for some pretty humbling click compression with Eater - install it on an otherwise dead facecheck run on HQ, fire it off, Déjà Vu it, Spork the lone Ice protecting HQ and crack it again. Then access the lone remaining card in HQ whilst firing off Hades shard to retrieve whatever you trashed first. Then trigger Oracle May again because click compression. -1 Hostage -1 Wanton Destruction +1 Utopia Shard +1 Quality Time maybe?

1 Like