The MaxX Thread

despite your larger deck size, the triples foundation is going to be where I start with MaxX too, my goal being to play good cards and set up a stable and sustainable economy and rig as fast as possible, while pressuring early with whatever pieces I happen to find. You can pressure HQ like Gabe with the threat of a Wanton Destruction. I am seriously considering 3x Mopus in MaxX. I don’t know if she really wants to play Day Job. I also think 3x Cyberfeeder and 3x Spinal Modem.

Cannot agree more.

4 Likes

This was not a that “serious and competitive deck” but I think Magnum Opus (or clic economy) is anti synergy with the ID.

She draws a lot, so she need to play cards each turn or “loose” them. What I did is “loosing cards is not loosing them so let’s draw and redraw”.

With this I though she can’t really afford to run, clic credit and play card, I think she should play card, play card and play card. => so, event economy.

For this, I think Comet could actually be a good console for her :wink:

By calculting mulligans % for either Special Orders or Eater (55% atm + mandatory draw I didn’t calculted), I could go up to 84 cards with 3x Crypsis on top of this :stuck_out_tongue:

81 cards means 15 turns if Wyldside is installed turn 1. You also can see like this : it’s not long, that’s very short in fact.
Maybe I’d go to 99 cards, or more who knows : LARLA IS FOR KIDS :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think some people (I know I am) are packing LARLA to stay alive against PE. I still have no idea how to survive that match-up with MaxX.

Good points. I really like the idea of Comet in MaxX, now that you mention it. My fear is that, since I don’t plan on relying on recursion, event economy isn’t sustainable. If FA truly does become weaker, glacier will be everywhere, and I definitely want to have a powerful yet sustainable economy set up for the late game.

What does the most powerful and versatile, universal Anarch rig look like right now? Is it feasible in MaxX?

Just…say **** U M*******ERS? AMIRITE

2 Likes

3x FF is only 3 influence, but only works with sustainable economy. MaxX definitely doesn’t want SecTesting IMO as it eats up too much influence for cards you could lose and still potentially not see early.

1 Like

My gut instinct says you’re approaching this completely wrong, then. Instead of aiming to last longer than 17 turns you should be spending one click per turn drawing, and then aiming to win in 8 turns. Hell, in my eyes you actually have a better match-up against a pointy, prickly PE than other runners - you’re healing one damage per turn completely free! Seeing how your ability to steal points off of PE is usually limited by how much damage you can take in a turn without dying (and seeing how much PE players hate to see Johnny M. hit the table against them), I think you’re better off than most.

4 Likes

Well err…

For this deck, I think 17 credits for any Same old Thing who survived is nice but, sure, one shot (then vamp, then Keyhole again… and DIE DIE DIE ;))

I think this 81 cards (fun) deck depletes completly in turn 12-18 or so. I’m eager to test it on OCTGN :slight_smile:

To me, Public Sympathy or BOX-E. :wink:

Hmm…is that really true? Anecdote time: I was playing PE (a variant of Minh’s Worlds deck) at a small local event last night for the first time, after being on the runner side for a long time, and eventually being driven to put Feedback Filter in my Criminal decks.

Although Jazzy M. + Security Testing + Desperado helped the runner in question keep up with the pace of the game, I was able to change my focus to stalling until he drew out his deck. I loaded up my centrals with Elis and forced a series of taxing runs through Komainu+Pup on an assortment of traps and 1-pointers. Eventually his deck ran out, and he lost to Psychic Field + Neural EMP.

Now on the one hand, MaxX will have a number of tools that would help in this situation vs. PE. I’m thinking particularly of Knifed here, but also Wanton Destruction, Keyhole, and (duh) Parasite. And thematically, I like the idea of “not giving a f**k”.

But MaxX runs out her deck significantly faster than J-Mas. She’ll draw out in 14 turns if she never draws outside her ability, and realistically much faster than that: Snare!, Psychic Field, and Fetal AI happen to the best of us.

By my own admission, I’m not exceptionally good at running vs. PE, and I’m not good enough at this game to know exactly how this matchup will play out, but I think it makes a lot of sense that people are worried. I know that if I see a lot of MaxX players in my local meta, I’ll be seriously considering PE for Store Champs.

I’d love to hear more discussion of this matchup!

2 Likes

I think you’re spot on. Maxx is going to run out of cards against PE without LARLA. Therefore, you need to play it. FBF is only a good option in criminal because of things like desperado+testing and masanori going largely unopposed. Maxx is not going to be able to set up a long term infinite use economy engine like that to feed the filter. The extra draw a turn is going to help, as is the fact that you can click to draw and play steelskins to prevent yourself from milling too much of your HP, but I don’t think anyone will stand much of a chance against PE with Maxx without LARLA.

So I think she should probably just play it.

7 Likes

So do you blow a Deja Vu to LARLA or do you blow more than 3 influence on multiple copies?

You could also Same Old Thing it.

2 Likes

3 Déjà-Vu, 3 SoT.
Both should be mandatory with Maxx anyway.

I’m not as sure about this. I think 2 SOT could be fine. You won’t have a lot of influence for Siphon, (you could play one to recur), or Lucky Find, and it’s not like there will be a dearth of options available out of Anarch. I feel like 2 would be fine if youre playing something like 1 Levy 1 Legwork 1 Siphon but SOT for econ doesn’t make a lot of sense like it does in prepaid and you don’t have stuff like Inside Job or Shutdown. The best things out of anarch to SOT are Vamp, which might be hard to pay for, and Stimhack, which you don’t want to play a ton usually. I imagine you probably just want 2 so that you can tutor some one-of events like Levy. Deck space is going to be tight.

2 Likes

[quote=“mediohxcore, post:179, topic:2378”]
Stimhack, which you don’t want to play a ton usually[/quote]
In current meta I want to play Stimhack really a lot against every deck not trying to kill me (so all RP, most NEH and quite many other corps). If you don’t have to worry much about brain damage, it’s best economy in the game. Recently I went up to 2 Stimhack in my Andromeda deck and I’m very happy with this.

1 Like

At 45 cards, she’s naturally “self out decked” at start of turn 13 actually.
T1 - cards left in stack = 37 - (one card away from Andromeda btw)
T2 - left 34
…
T10 - left 10
T11 - left 7
T12 - left 4
T13 - left 1 (trashed next turn)

There’s actually few solutions :

  • LARLA
  • Tower decks
  • Short & quick decks with MO / Katie Jones / Anything that give money in the long term.

All builds will have qualities and problems :wink:

Second conclusion : for optimisation, MaxX 45 cards should draw at least 1 times OR 4 times OR 7 times etc

I disagree if you’re talking about SoT x 2 in “the LARLA way”. Anything under 3x in MaxX will see the day half of your games.

With no drawing, natural probabilities to draw a card will be 33% (2 trashed, drawn 1).
So you’d better have x3 to hit an expected value of 1.

Expected value for SoT x2 would be 0.66 SoT per game. We’re not even taking net / meat / brain damage into consideration, we’re not even talking about those supersonic FA decks that will take the victory from you before you deck out.

Talk about that great LARLA insurance… In 33% of those “naturally decking out” games, you don’t see SoT. In those 33%, with 1x LARLA, that’s 22% of your games you’re decking out quickly, meaning a base loss ratio of, say, 5-10-15-20 % closely related to player skill.
“Base lose ratio” for most other runner is 0%… :wink:

Playing Wyldside in a towerdeck on the other hand changes the whole game (oops, see what I did there ? :p)

You’re wrong about the ‘natural probabilities’, because you start with 5 cards in hand.

1 Like