The Theophilius Bagpiper Podcast!

Hi everyone!

Rob and I have started a podcast. The second episode will probably be a lot better but why not join us to discuss the MWL and competitive Netrunner anyway?

There’s a picture of me with a potato in the link if that’ll sway your decision.

9 Likes

Really enjoyed your first podcast. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to future episodes.

1 Like

I loved your discussion and humor. That was a great first episode and I’m really looking forward to some more. I like the thematic format too. Here’s to a long future.

Thanks both!

Second episode is in the works!

2 Likes

That scoundrel Theophilius Bagpiper has stolen our decks. Does that mean we can’t play our favourite game?

Fear not! A shipment has arrived and within it is a mysterious cube. A
draft cube, no less. Rob and Seamus are joined by Andy to talk about
Netrunner drafting.

Topics covered include why you should try drafting, the importance of
a win condition in corp decks and why you should really try to find a
decent Fracter.

If you have a fun draft story we’d love to hear it so comment here or get in touch on Facebook or the Twitter.

Draft ho, everyone!

Facebook: Redirecting...
Twitter: @theobagpiper
Soundcloud: SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
RSS Feed: Theophilius Bagpiper

And we’re on iTunes and Stitcher

2 Likes

Whizzard
is dead, Andromeda is on the lam, Chaos Theory is too sad to netrun*.
Investors have done the maths on Stronger Together and shares are
plummeting.

Old Theophilius Bagpiper isn’t worried though. And why? Because he’s in Honour and Profit.

This month (ish), Rob and Seamus are joined by UK Nats top 16
finisher and full-time son of a bitch, Jonny to talk about the big event
on the horizon for everyone’s favourite cyber-noir living cardgame.

No, not Terminal Directive.

No, not a new MWL.

No! We’re talking about rotation.

https://soundcloud.com/user-563069231/tatty-jones

Info:

Facebook: Redirecting...

Twitter: @theobagpiper

Soundcloud: SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

RSS Feed: Theophilius Bagpiper

And we’re on iTunes and Stitcher

I’m not crying, you’re crying!

5 Likes

Episode 4 is here!

In which we discuss eggs, pubs and the new most wanted list:

2 Likes

You guys have such good analysis. Loving the podcast.

More importantly though, breakfast burritos are amazing. Make a breakfast burrito. Buy one if you need to, but they’re super easy to make and they’re the second best thing you can wake up to. The most wanted list has two tiers beginning with 1) breakfast burrito. It continues to 3) three breakfast burritos. You can play various breakfasts, but it’s usually worth it to play some most wanted list breakfasts.

3 Likes

I really enjoy the way you have staked out a different space than some other podcasts with your topic-centric approach and your high-minded discussion of eggs.

Ok. I’m in. What is a good base-level of fillings for a beginner with extensive transferable knowledge of non-burrito breakfasts and non-breakfast burritos?

2 Likes

In my opinion, and I imagine opinions vary, for the basic breakfast burrito you want meat, some omelette style eggs, a dash of sour cream, wrap it up and pour salsa over it. Adding some veg or avocado or cheese or whatever will improve it but I think you get the idea.

Southern California regionals coming up on May 27th, some mighty fine breakfast burritos in the area. You could fly over here, get breakfast burritos, then fly up to Seattle and catch US nationals.

Nice. Will report results.

I’ll be right back. Just setting up a Patreon.

A good breakfast burrito is outstanding, but the apprehension is understandable since it’s actually harder to do well than a “supper” burrito. (Many commercially available breakfast burritos are insipid mounds of repurposed scrambled eggs with bacon shards and perfunctory bottled salsa.) I hardly ever eat breakfast burritos outside the home for this reason. When I make them at home, the contents are as follows:

• Scrambled egg with aged white cheddar and chopped green onion
  • Some sort of bean (typically black beans, drained and well-rinsed; avoid canned refried beans, which look and smell like cat food).
  • Potato (salty crunch is important here otherwise the sort of slimy mushiness of scrambled eggs is overdetermined; leftover potatoes diced and fried are fine, but I I think frozen hashbrowns or even tater tots have a perfect crispy greasiness, season them with smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and salt).
  • A final dash of red and green colour (red and/or green peppers, chopped tomato, chopped coriander, that sort of thing).

Wrap them properly (don’t just fold the the tortilla over itself as I see some people do), then wrap in tinfoil. Give them a few minutes in a 350 oven. Even if your fillings were warm you’ll want them to mingle a bit more, plus there’s nothing more heartbreaking than a storebought tortilla that hasn’t been reheated.

Serve with hot sauce, something like cholula if you can find it but tabasco or sriracha will do in a pinch. That’s right, hot sauce, no bottled salsa, and no sour cream. (Scrambled egg and sour cream is a flavour profile nonbo). If you’re lucky to live somewhere where good avocadoes are available, go for it, but they’re rare enough here that I tend to skip it (bad avocado is worse than no avocado).

You’ll note I have not included any reference to meat here, but that’s because my dear wife is a vegetarian. If I was making these just for myself I would consider smoked ham or chorizo ahead of bacon. I have had many breakfast burritos where the bacon was a nonbo, either by being overcooked or not chopped enough such that an entire strip of bacon would drag the contents of the burrito out when bitten. Chorizo is thematically appropriate but sometimes insanely greasy. Plain old ham, chopped, is the probable winner here and it provides for the most even meat agenda density throughout burrito R&D.

Holy shit I’m starving now! Later dudes.

6 Likes

NutritionalOneHundred, more like! Tips logged, particularly the structure/texture comments.

I was into the notion of eggs with sour cream. This a definite no?

Thanks!

I think you could get away with it in burritos that had lots of salty, spicy fillings (or else a very sharp or salty cheese). I’ve been served sour cream a lot in restaurants and always ate it for reasons of presumed canonicity, but when I stopped eating it I realized that all it was doing was enhancing the bland character of eggs which in turn caused other flavours to seem more subdued.

I’m vehemently against bottled salsa for a similar reason: commercial salsas are overly sweet and lack acidity, so don’t compliment any of the other components meaningfully. You might as well put ketchup or strawberry jam, it’s not doing anything for you.

Breakfast burritos are about bringing layers of salty, smoky, acidic, and aromatic to the plainness of scrambled egg. A simple pico de gallo (tomato, red or white onion, coriander, garlic, lime juice, salt) will give you bright tanginess and aromatic from the onion. Sometimes I’ll use finely chopped pickled jalapenos which are sort of briny and hot and good if used sparingly.

To be less off-topic, you guys should talk about the Weyland cards in TD on the podcast. Some of that ice is nice!

edit: should specify that sour cream is a must in lunch or dinner burritos where you don’t have egg and instead have deeper richer flavours like slow braised beef. Sour cream is an excellent contrast here.

What is the correct procedure to wrap them properly?

Here’s a reasonably good tutorial:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-wrap-a-burrito-so-it-doesnt-fall-apart-when-you-eat-it-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189756

In the final steps they roll the tucked in bundle over the outspread upper half of the tortilla. This is good play, but if you are able to roll the tortilla almost all the whole way around the burrito again you have not put enough good stuff in your burrito. You should be minimizing the amount of area where the user needs to bite through two layers of doughy tortilla.

This is another reason why I suggest in my book to wrap the burritos in foil and put them in a 350 degree oven for at least five minutes. The heat will cause the tortilla flap to adhere and seal the burrito naturally.

2 Likes

I’d just like to say how happy Rob and I are that the podcast has led to this much food discussion.

3 Likes