The Woes of Weyland [Series of Articles]

Ah, I see, so Damon understands that caprice makes weyland competitive. Or he’s insane. Thanks for translating anyway. Do you hang out with 16 year old girls much or something?

(edit: might be meaner than anticipated, do not be offended)

Are you really telling me that those arrows don’t sway you unbelievers?

In all seriousness, that last tweet actually frustrated me a fair amount (I mean, of course it does, I’m making a whole series about exactly why Weyland isn’t competitive), but hey, sometimes Damon likes to be cryptic.

I can’t help but feel that Damon doesn’t fully recognize that his ‘meta’ is so drastically different to what he believes the current meta to be, given that he isn’t playing with the same card pool that we are. Furthermore, of his own admission in past interviews, he sometimes forgets exactly what cards are out right now (because he’s constantly designing and iterating new ones), so he’s never fully in tune with what cards are presently being played.

1 Like

Yeah - I think its not the best organisational process to have the designer who’s deep in the ‘future meta’ also being the person who aggregates the state of the current meta (this is based of Damon’s depiction of his role in the bad publicity interview). It’s very easy for him to brush off issues as ‘solved’ in his head from a small play testing pool with future cards, when those future cards might not see print in the form he’s thinking about at that time.

Having a Design person who works two cycles ahead and a Development person who works one cycle ahead, keeps a close eye on the released meta, and tweaks numbers on the designed cards seems a better structure imo.

2 Likes

http://www.anrnz.com/2016/01/the-woes-of-weyland-part-iv-flatline.html

Part IV, yo. Finally, we discuss the ‘flatline problem’ in Weyland, but not before actually covering some of the game’s early history, where the environment of tag-and-bag was quite different. Suffice to say, there’s going to be much mention of NBN in here as well, but that’s sort of unavoidable.

5 Likes

I like the incentive to take bad pub, that’s an area that I’ve always thought should be explored more than it has been (Ireress and…that’s it). Giving Weyland another kill operation is just what they need to present a credible flatline threat again.

I always hesitate to reference old Netrunner because it’s so different, but the card “I Got a Rock” requires a forfeit of 3 agenda points to play it (as well as 2 tags). I think that’s a really neat cost as well.

Basically, Weyland needs another kill card that actually works in-faction. The best way to do that is to hike up the influence and introduce costs that Weyland is the best suited for.

1 Like

Completely agree (obviously). Regarding bad publicity, I think it’s very much a mechanic that needs to be approached hesitantly (it is intended as a downside, after all), but like with tags for Runners, there should be some Corp strategies that actually reward you (even if in non-standard ways) for accruing BP (that aren’t Ireress).

Regarding I Got a Rock - I think a mechanic like that would need to tied to an in-faction agenda or be something ridiculous like 10 influence per copy. Given how much easier it is for NBN to both land multiple tags and rapidly score agendas (in a largely non-interactive manner), unless you made it basically impossible for yellow to gain access to IGaR, you better believe that they would ‘do it better than Weyland’.

But yes, another suitable kill card for Weyland, and one with an influence cost of three or more would be grand.

1 Like

I 100% agree on Weyland needing some more damage cards. Punitive is exactly the space I think they should look to: no reliance on tags, but slightly less deadly. Tags are already a very binary thing against Scorched Earth decks. Something like the following has been floating around in my head for a while:

Warning Shots
Operation - Black Ops
Cost: 2 Inf: 3
Play only if the runner made a successful run last turn.
Do 4 meat damage. This damage cannot flatline the runner.
“I’m glad the worst of it is over.” -the last words of an unknown runner

The idea is to support other kill. Soften them up for finishing blow, trash a few things from their grip. Maybe even open a scoring window against Faust decks.

What about Batty in Weyland?

Damn, son, no tag requirement or anything? This thing would be absurd in Jinteki PE, between Ronins, Philotic, and Neural EMPs. 3 meat damage, heck, even 2 meat damage would seem reasonable to me.

I’m guessing this is in reference to earlier articles about Weyland’s scoring (not this week’s ‘Flatline Frustration’ article)? If so, yep, it’s definitely been tried (I’ve run it through the gauntlet many times actually). It can be very strong (Batty-Archer is of course good), albeit influence-consuming and requires setup, but it gets rolled over by Valencia and her darn Blackmails. Of course, Oversight AI and Executive Boot Camps exist, but now we’re talking multi-card combos.

Yeah, in reference to the article about scoring. Makes sense. I was only wondering for posterity. I keep thinking that returning to Scorch + scoring is the way to go, but wondering in what faculty Batty could be useful – specifically in rig destroying decks like Uncorrodable. It’s weird, I rarely see Valencia anymore: it’s mostly Noise and MaxX around here. I can definitely see how she would completely disrupt that entire gameplay (as she does with Batty Gold.

1 Like

“Successful run” vs “agenda stolen”, 3 vs 4 meat damage, and 3 vs 4 inf were all tuning points I waffled on. I erred on the side of power, but also forget Jinteki PE was a thing as I jotted this version down. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ You could probably also add a “prevent all net damage this turn” effect if it couldn’t be balanced otherwise, but I can’t think of a good flavor reason to do it. Forcing them to go off the grid or something?

I definitely wanted something without a tag requirement. Not only would something like that be good for boosting Punitive and Contract Killer, but I dislike the idea of tying all of Weyland’s kill to tags.

1 Like

some things were allowed to be a looser

This kills the crab.

I think the design space could be opened up to more assets or a current that does meat damage? I had posted these awhile back in the imaginary card thread: Shameless self promotion

“Insurance” Agency
Weyland 4
rez, 3 trash, 3 inf

When the Runner’s turn begins, deal the runner 1 meat damage unless the he or she pays 1 [credit]

The money is for your protection, terrible things can happen in this city.

Chimera Protection Services
Weyland Operation - Current
Cost: 1 - Inf: 4

This card is not trashed until another current is played or an agenda is stolen.

At the end of your turn, you may pay 3 [credits]. If you do, the runner must take 2 meat damage at the start of their turn.

What’s the target?

Should probably have an “If you do…” at the beginning of that second part, otherwise…

1 Like

Goons should also give the option to trash resources. Because fuck Paparazzi.

Whoops that’s a good point!

The custom cards this time around are much better than before. I particularly like Urban Renewal, though I might increase the credit cost.

Preach the hate, friend. Goons ain’t scared to mess up a few Paps.

Darn, sorry you didn’t like the previous ones, heh. Thanks anyway - I personally think that Weyland pretty desperately needs a second high-influence kill card that it utilizes better than NBN, and I felt Renewal would fulfill that space nicely. Amusingly, others have suggested that it’s too expensive to see play - just goes to show that it’s really hard to determine appropriate numbers for cards without actually testing them.

I didn’t think I would like this series of articles, but you’ve done a great job so far analyzing Weyland as a faction. Looking forward to the next one!

2 Likes

I have no idea where the best place to put this would be, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I made this stupid deck and just won 3 games in a row with it vs. Cake batter Maxx and 2x Faust Gabe. Behold:

what am i doing with my life

Titan Transnational: Investing In Your Future (Order and Chaos)

Agenda (7)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) [color=#708090]••[/color]
1x Government Takeover (Order and Chaos)
1x Oaktown Renovation (Chrome City)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (5)
2x Daily Business Show (All That Remains) [color=#FF8C00]••[/color]
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) [color=#FF8C00]•••[/color]

Upgrade (3)
1x Crisium Grid (First Contact)
2x Old Hollywood Grid (Old Hollywood) [color=#FF8C00]••••[/color]

Operation (17)
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
2x Casting Call (Old Hollywood) [color=#FF8C00]••••[/color]
3x Dedication Ceremony (Kala Ghoda)