[Updated] I for one welcome our new Whizzard Overlord

It seems that way, but you have to consider the interaction with David also. It restricts David to Str 6 or higher. It’s not quite a no brainer, given how powerful David is. I’ve played Val and Maxx with Ice Carver and it’s a really tough call either way.

Maxx can’t play it properly because it’s non-recurable, I’d say.

As for the David point, it’s a good one, but what are David’s favorite targets nowadays? Tollbooth, Curtain Wall, Susanoo, Wormhole, Wraparound? Aside from 'booth, they all remain breakable after a Carver install, and the former can be broken with only 3 creds with Yog + NRE, or 4 with Atman4. So perhaps put 1 Carver in for a sucker, and maybe remove 1 David for anything. Extra deckslots are always nice.

Heck, keep playing with 2 Davids anyway. Before a Carver install, they remain as good as they are in the current shell. Afterwards, with some clever sucker and Atman maintanance, they act as a failsafe against huge ice pieces still.

2 Likes

I’d take 2 David over 1 david and 1 Carver all day and “only” missing Tollbooth due to ICE carver is a bigger deal then you’re making it out to be. Tollbooth is probably the main reason to run Davids.

4 Likes

2 D4V1D is clutch v. BS.

5 Likes

Yeah agreed, I was editing my post above when you posted this. I agree upon reflection. 2 David is still the way to go probably.

1 Like

My fave is playing David in Val and getting thru a Tollbooth for two credits and a David token. Sure does beat having to figure out how to install a Femme to deal with it. And BS laughs at Femme anyway, so it’s your best bet.

2 Likes

This is where my Whizzard deck of the last 2 months has taken me to as well. NRE was a great addition.

I go +1 Special Order and only 1 Yog. This lets me have some more consistency.

I did the same thing, but decided on only 1 Corroder. It seems to be the breaker I need last. Thoughts?

imho, yog is the most dispensable. Yog costs the most to install and I go go Parasite and Atman through most code gates. I’ll install Yog if/when I draw into it.

On the other hand, if Corroder is in the bottom 15-20 of my deck, I could be locked out hard against a decent draw of the Corp. Special Order saves the day here. I use Special Order mostly for Mimic, then Corroder, then Atman, and finally Yog.

#myexperience

Yep, that’s cool. I still don’t get splashing for Atman when you have NRE though. And installing Yog means that parasites can be saved for their natural habitat: pop-ups, pups, and next silvers.

1 Like

Atman 6, man.

3 Likes

Or D4v1d? Nothing like saving 6 credits on the install and breaking for free. What str 6-7 ice are we running through more than 4 times a game anyway?

By the time you have to go through an Archer or an inner Curtain Wall a second time, you’ll start seeing the merits of Buddhism over the Old Testament :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall, Atman just needs a pile of cash, where D4V1D requires additional support - e3, Scavenge, Clone Chip usage, etc.

9 Likes

PeekaySK is mostly right in my mind. Atman is there in case your two NREs are in the bottom 1/3 of your deck. Basically, the Atman and single Special Order are there to smooth out variance in case some needed pieces happen to be at the bottom of your deck, which will usually be the case (either a needed breaker, NRE, datasuckers, etc).

1 Like

Well, I play 3x Liberated, 3x Casts with 3 Career Fair plus Gambles and a Kati for my econ. I never feel overly rich, not enough o drop an Atman just for an ensured early-mid game access, and then a Yog or something later.

The real case for Atman is Power Shutdown and Lotus Field in Blue Sun. It sucks. Maybe I’ll go to 2 Dejas to recur the NRE.

Been playing Wooley’s deck quite a bit recently, and thinking about repping it at my upcoming regional.

I want to ask the crowd and @spags specifically what they think about swapping the atman for an SMC. In a lot of games atman has ended up as my “3rd copy of the breaker I can’t find” rather than a silver bullet for some problem ICE (though honestly I’m in love with atman 10 vs. blue sun :smiley: ) and my thinking is that especially with clone chips smc might be a great add to just get set up that little bit quicker.

1 Like

I think Wooley has tried 1-3 SMCs in the deck before. He prefers the flexibility of 2 Atman. I didn’t mind the one. Without it, you’re going to have issues v. various ICE, esp. if NRE get destroyed, and viruses are purged.

2 Likes

fair enought, I suppose it’s always nice to know there’s at least one card if your deck that could get you back in quick if the corp engineers a purge lockout.

This isn’t Wooley’s deck. It’s MY fucking deck. @nobody

2 Likes

Well, congrats. The deck I specifically piloted is Stephen Wooley’s deck, sans 2 cards. I didn’t talk to you. I didn’t see your deck. I didn’t copy your deck, nor steal your thunder. I already won a Regional, and asked Stephen if I could use his. #dealwithit #whogivestwofucksaboutwhoquoteownsquoteadeck

12 Likes