US Nationals - Gen Con

I have to say, that Top 16 was the singular most enjoyable cut I’ve played in. Every single person I played - Joshua, Greg, Wes, Jon, Noah - was an awesome dude. That extends into Swiss too. Honestly every Netrunner I talked to was an awesome dudette or dude. A wholly enjoyable tournament (besides the awful mental grind of 7 rounds of Swiss) and a sweet Con.

11/10 would luck sack into a Top 8 game with @Sirris again.

11 Likes

@Squash957 Thanks Sasha, I really enjoyed meeting you and playing with you as well.

It was really cool to finally put a face to people I’ve played with on OCTGN and to shoot the shit with every one in between rounds of Swiss. I’ve never played so many difficult and hard fought games of netrunner. I’m still hurting from my top 8 loss to @lucasli. I never drew an Aesop’s, only drew one cache, and never drew Faust yet the game came down to match point for both of us. The winning agenda was in the trash and I didn’t grab it. I’m honored to have lost to the champ though, Lucas is a machine and I was fortunate to even have a shot to win that game. I’m hoping that in a few days I can stop beating myself up over a couple misplays and appreciate the top 8 finish. I started playing ANR last year right after world’s and I never imagined that I would have this finish and a regional win by now. My goal that I set back in January for 2015 was to win a store champ. I never did but hey, I’m not complaining.

I hope to meet even more of you at worlds!

3 Likes

everyone at the event was cool and the whole experience was a blast. i got beat in the top 8 pretty badly, but i’m not beat up over it after seeing @lucasli, @pacer & @Nobo715 finish at the top. these guys are all impressive players

excited to practice some more and maybe bring a better game in November :grin:

3 Likes

Hollis here,

I felt so lucky to have been in the presence of such awesome players and such fun personalities. People recognized me from TWA and ANRBadPub and were saying, “Thanks so much for the content. I really enjoy it” and that absolutely made my day. I spend a lot of my free time thinking about the game, discussing card and deck choices, but the ability to discuss these things with players I admire and respect makes me enjoy this game even more than usual. I didn’t do well in the tournament, but I’m confident I’ll have a better experience at Worlds and hopefully laugh just as much.

HUGE thank you to anyone that was supportive during that weekend and props to everyone that did as well or better than they expected. I look forward to seeing many of you in just a few more months.

I TOLD you about Noise, I TOLD YOU.

20 Likes

Just wanted to thank everyone that I met at Nationals…was super fun and I played nothing but super awesome opponents all day. Bubbling sucked but I only have myself to blame for my misplays.

Some special shoutouts (Can only tag three of the users thanks to nubness):

@anon50033301 - Seriously dude, you sweep me like the scrub that I am and you do not even take it down? :stuck_out_tongue: Always great to play a player that humbles me.

lucasli - I am pretty sure I have never taken a game off of you in tournament play, despite facing you several times (though not at nats, thankfully). Congrats on taking it down and bringing the title to Misery…I mean Missouri

@Nobo715, @Webster - Thanks for letting us draft with your netrunner cubes, was super fun!

spags - You get a bye and you don’t even show up…if I didn’t love you so much I’d super hate you for that.

Hope to see most if not all of you at Worlds!

-2015 US Nationals Bubble Boy

3 Likes

Same with @mediohxcore. Was going to burn it in a voodoo ritual to help out @aandries, but no curse was going to overcome his self-inflicted one (running Weyland). Think I’ll turn it into a Worlds name tag. #androil

7 Likes

The cubes were from @westonodom, @hasuprotoss, and @Webster . Though I agree it was a blast. @Webster is absolutely the biggest beast I have ever seen at draft, all your decks were ridiculous. Drafting with Lukas Litzinger again was another highlight of the weekend.

I had a fantastic time, hanging out with all you runners that I have met before, and a bunch of new ones. Was great to officially meet @anon50033301, @eric_c, @ItJustGotRielle, and @lucasli. I have no regrets about playing 7pt Shutdown CI, I feel like I got shutdown by the first round pairing (Leela) but still came close to battling back. Damn that PE deck with Punitive Counterstrike. I tried to bring it home for CI @mediohxcore, but it just wasn’t happening, even if I did beat a Noise player.

Thanks to the community for being so great, these events are only fun because all the players are so awesome. Can’t wait until Worlds!

10 Likes

The greatest thing about you playing 7 point shutdown (imo) was @bblum’s epic comic. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That is more of an accomplishment than making the cut.

Proud of you, and sorry I didn’t make it.

bro

I TOLD YOU ABOUT NOISE BRO

6 Likes

It’s definitely a thing now!

That was a different era, pre-Clot.

1 Like

Both @sydwys8 and I had a great time at Nationals. I ended the day 9-5 with Iain Sterling and PE. Not to shabby I think. Great games all around, great challenges, fantastic opponents, and it was amazing to see everyone again.

See ya’ll at worlds!

6 Likes

That was a perfect way to cap off the weekend, so much fun. It was great to hang with so many Netrunner legends, I was honored to be among that crew. Flat lining Lukas with Koimainu into the one of Shock in my deck was priceless. Also the “6 Point Beale”.

1 Like

It was a blast cubing with everyone. I can confirm that @Webster’s decks were insane. I was in the other pool so I couldn’t do anything about it, but @pacer was sitting to his right. I would say he’s got some explaining to do, but since he had to play him and deal with it himself game 1 of the draft we can probably let it slide.

Thanks to @Webster and @hasuprotoss for bringing their cubes too. I’d love it if drafting were a bigger part of competitive netrunner, and I really enjoyed doing it several times over the course of the Con.

4 Likes

Now that Netrunnerdb and Meteor have draft functions it would be really fun to do some OCTGN draft tournies.

4 Likes

I got a blast in cube drafting both of the nights. Thanks everyone for bringing it :smile:.

2 Likes

Where can you draft in Netrunner db?

19 Likes