Valencia, the combo Anarch?

It isn’t even the hidden information that’s exciting to me (although I recognise the benefit). The fact is playing a Street Peddler is effectively spending a card and a click and gaining a card and a click, on top of other tangible benefits. You get card selection, you get to install the card later instead of right now, at a discount, and you get to keep your options open. Imagine playing it in Noise and hitting Medium and Mimic; suddenly you’re totally prepared to start running RnD, and you didn’t need to waste clicks and credits on Mimic and Medium if the RnD run doesn’t pay off. The utility of the card is insane, and that’s before you even consider the hidden info. It ranks alongside Inject and I’ve Had Worse as one of the premium utility Anarch cards.

I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying Grim Feast. I keep having people telling me how much fun the deck is, which makes me feel like writing the article was worthwhile.

6 Likes

I hope you do, because I’m not quite as excited as everyone else seems to be. Or at all, really. I was pretty “meh” about it at first, although I think I’m starting to see what everyone’s talking about.

Sorry, just wanted to let my inferiority show through. :pensive:

It’s all about the instant speed ability. Clone Chip and SMC are obviously some of the most powerful cards in the game. This is the Anarch version.

It’s a bit of a wild guess what goes on the card is the drawback. High variance. There will be times when it does maybe nothing. Usually it should be at least good.

There is a spoiled Crim card that is like Precog for runners, which is a combo with this card. When you are playing support cards to support your support, however, it gets questionable if it’s worth it.

Either way S. Peddler will see play.

1 Like

As long as you don’t have too many events Street Peddler functions a lot like Express Delivery. While it sucks if you hit cards you don’t want to install that much I wouldn’t call it ‘high variance’

5 Likes

Medium-ish variance?

2 Likes

Maybe do a resource based Anarch.

Noise is there already

4 Likes

I’ve never liked Express Delivery. I feel like these kinds of effects were relatively strong in MtG because of a mix of deck size, less (and harder to play) card draw, and the fact that you only draw once a turn by default. It’s just not that hard to find stuff as the runner, so paying a credit and a card to just pick one of four random cards from my deck to throw into my hand seems pretty not great when I could just click draw for free. If I could play it instantly, that would at least have merit. As it is, it’s not amazing.

The instant speed and -1 install cost for Street Peddler is pretty nice. Is it worth it potentially being a bust if you hit events and have to trash two random cards from the deck? I’m not completely sold on it being strong enough to be an auto-include, although I do agree that it will see play, and it probably should.

But 90% of the time Street Peddler is just better than drawing a card. And it isn’t as if it costs you a card to do this because it gives you the option to install one of the cards you get as a paid ability, without spending an action. Is it, at worst, a strict upgrade to drawing a card as long as you don’t hit 3 events.
The only downside is the chance that you’ll hit all events/unique cards that you have already, but in a lot of event light anarch builds this will be rare. It’s especially good in Noise because even if you miss off it you’re not down any money and you can immediately sell it to Aesop.

4 Likes

Anarch decks are very light on tutoring (I’m aiming for Understatement of the Week award; please vote for me). That means most Anarch decks are crammed with duplicates. Outside of event heavy decks, of which there are a few, Street Peddler is going to be an amazing card because typical Anarch decks mitigate that whole ‘pick one of three’ issue. Or, I guess, Street Peddler helps mitigate the duplication issue.

In it its ‘normal’ sort of usage, it lets you quickly find and install important resources (Aesop’s/Wyldside), the credit discount lets you play it first turn for Liberated Account; and you can get instant speed stuff during a run - this is pretty important, as Anarch have very limited ways they can build board state without committing to it. Shapers have SMC and Clone Chip, Crims have powerful events, and it’ll be nice to have an Anarch threat.

And then you have awesome edge cases that will sometimes happen but you should never justify playing the card for: Installing Plascrete after the first Scorch/Traffic accident/Punitive. Dropping a Hades/Utopia Shard/Clot unexpectedly. Instant speed Parasites or the right breaker mid-run. Which is awesome and will rarely happen, but you’re playing it anyway - so you get to enjoy it when it does happen.

5 Likes

9/10 would vote for you again. :smile:

2 Likes

Yall muffugas need to learn how to duggars. Card draw is the best tutor.

2 Likes

i love the concept of duggers, but when you need it now, spending 4 clicks to get it, then you cant use it till next turn. (also blacklist) mabye amped up into duggers, DRAW MORE to discard more… :stuck_out_tongue:

No the actual worst is when you duggers and STILL don’t get the card. The next time that happens to me, you’ll find me swinging from the elastic from my underwear in the bathroom

I’m not sure if this is a colloquialism elsewhere, but it seems like the David Carradine belt-on-the-doorhandle is a little easier to orchestrate as far a half-nude expressions of displeasure with your current life circumstances go.

One is auto erotic asphyxiation, the other is blatant suicide. Personally I have safeguards when using the belt and door handle that it won’t accidentally end things when I’m coming while I’m going.

1 Like

Getting a little back on track…here is my current version of the non-combo Val (AKA “Val’s Pals”):

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (13)
1x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Quest Completed (Fear and Loathing)
3x Blackmail (Fear and Loathing)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
1x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (3)
3x Desperado (Core Set) ••••• ••••

Resource (15)
3x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
3x Investigative Journalism (Order and Chaos)
3x Paige Piper (The Valley)

Icebreaker (9)
3x Corroder (Core Set)
3x Mimic (Core Set)
3x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ••••• •

Program (10)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
2x Progenitor (Order and Chaos)

The Progenitors have been great. They give you extra memory, and slotting a sucker on one has helped me a couple times now to ensure passage past Cortex Locks, and eased my mind with respect to Ichi1.0 (i.e. corp cannot purge away that 1 vital sucker counter).

I replaced the Gordians with Zu’s because I keep thinking that NEH is gonna come storming back and I think 3 Zu beats 2 Gordian in that matchup. Empirically though I haven’t come up against any NEH lately, and paying 1 extra for code gates (Lotus Field especially) hurts a little. The Progenitors often make double suckers possible though, so that can help with everyting but LF. Paying 3 less for your decoder, and getting it out there earlier is nice.

I slotted a single Wanton in there and it has saved me in one game by milling a Scorch. Not sure how great it is, but it replaced Tallie, who, though she was a pal, did not usually thrill me when she arrived in hand.

I’m going 3X Investigative Journalism here. Most here seem to be cutting down on them, but I’ve found a second BP plus Desperado to be really great. The 3X gets one early, and with Paige you can throw others away. Myself I usually only toss 1, as getting 3 BP, if the opportunity presents itself, is bonkers.

4 Likes

@cspieker Looks solid, the IJ is interesting, I’ll have to try that out. It seems to me that career fair would be great in place of a zu or a desperado. It really smooths out your econ – I like it a lot in my Grim Harvest variant but that has a bit more draw for seeing 2x Desperado early anyways.

I’ve been testing and playing with @hhooo’s Val deck posted earlier in the thread. I love it, but I’ve found a few match-ups really painful. In particular, midrange HB decks with Biotic seem tough. The breakers seem just a bit too inefficient for the code-gates, and mustering the resources to attack a rezzed Eve feels too slow if the RNG gods don’t bless you with a blackmail. It’s possible I’m going about the matchup incorrectly, and I’d love to learn more. Is sacrificing this matchup worth the boost vs. rush and NEH?

Likewise, Blue Sun feels very threatening without access to D4V1D or the ability to tutor a breaker. An early OAI’d curtain wall puts me in the punitive/scorch danger zone, as I’m usually still recovering my investment from Liberated and clicking Kati. If that window sees a High Risk Investment scored, the game becomes quite difficult.

How are people feeling about NRE in this particular Valencia flavor, using the influence from Zu and switching to Yog? My big concern then becomes Power Shutdown. A card that’s not seeing much use around here, but whose stock may be about to increase. It’s still slow, but then I’d feel more threatening in the current Codegaterunner environment.

A singleton SMC is also on my considerations list, just to have another way to grab a crucial datasucker, parasite, or breaker which hasn’t shown up early. Choosing what to cut is very difficult, however.

I hear you on some of the concerns. As for me, running face first into a parasited Archer I thought I was going to be able to kill with sucker tokens but got myself Cyberdex’d has convinced me to #slotthecujo. 1 Cujo 1 Mimic. Also 1 David.

I know Cujo is not ideal but corps have caught on the the strength if Cyberdex, seems to me. Especially in a Next deck, you could get Next Gold’d pretty fiercely relying only on Mimic. With Clone Chip and Cujo in the bin you are safe. As long as you have cash of course.

I’m going to adapt some of the Yog/Atman/Knight list that just won Colorado regionals.

1 Like