Which calls should Boggs retcon?

Says Boggs goes on a mad power trip and starts retconning old cards. What changes do you want him to make?

I, for one, would love to see Tyr’s Hand work like it was probably intended to work.

1 Like

I’m not sure how ‘Tyr’s Hand was probably intended to work,’ can you elaborate?

My guess is it was intended to work with the 2.0 bioroids (from the same big box set) to ‘unbreak’ a sub that had been clicked through, leaving the runner unable to break it again with clicks and suffer it’s consequences. Unfortunately, this is a very narrow use case, and not particularly devastating since clone chip is in the same box.

3 Likes

Tyr’s Hand has never been stronger than it is right now*, except when Fairchild 3.0 was unrestricted.

*Which is to say still not that strong :disappointed:

3 Likes

I wanna see Kit with 12 or 15 influence. She’s my fav shaper :3

7 Likes

Retcons I would like:

• Make Sunny’s ID is no longer blank and instead say “Copies of Security Testing in your deck do not count against your influence limit.”
  • Let me shoot Jeeves Model Bioroid with Unregistered S&W.
  • Undo the rulings on Tennin that make it illegal to advance your opponent’s ID. Keep the rulings that say that advancements on your opponent’s ID do absolutely nothing.
  • Give all dog ice the dog subtype, errata Levy University to be Levy Pet Academy, make it so it can only find dog ice, and make the numbers on Levy Pet Academy not terrible.
23 Likes

I get more aggrieved by flavour things than mechanical things, I think.

My favourite bugbear is Celeb Gift. We have NBN, a corporation whose business model is giving people information for money. And we have Celeb Gift, a card where the corp literally gives the runner information in exchange for money. And it’s in…Jinteki. What were you thinking?!

(Sweeps Week could easily have been a Jinteki card to compensate).

1 Like

Sweeps Week being a Jinteki card would be kind of weird, given than Jinteki is the net damage faction, though. I want to snipe cards from your hand…and then I want to gain money based on how many cards you have in your hand?

A more Jinteki-ish card might be a one that can be advanced, and then you gain money per card in the Runner’s hand (since they might have drawn up expecting Snare?) when accessed if it is advanced.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I like the mechanics of Celebrity Gift in NBN thematically.

NBN gives you information, yes, but usually carefully selected and maybe even biased information.

In practice, Celebrity Gift usually reveals my entire hand to the runner, which feels more like Weyland practices than anything else.

2 Likes

Definitely influence buffs to the eternal IDs that just don’t cut it. Ian, Kit, Next, Exile. There are probably others.

As an aside, I suspect the next big project is actually a reworking / replacement of C&C. There are just too many problematic / rubbish cards in the box. Clone Chip and Tyrs hand being examples, but also Custom Biotics. Damon also wanted to remove SMC from the game (so did I when it came out, so I think he may have been on to something).

4 Likes

Ultimate dream ret-con for fluff reasons:

Closed Accounts is now a Weyland card.

I mean, the full name of a credit is the Titan Transnational Credit, ‘fer goodness sake.

3 Likes

Would also give Weyland some non-explody tag punishment, which would be nice

I’d actually like to see the opposite, more ways for Weyland to effectively menace the runner without involving tags at all. Punitive Counterstrike is a good example example, but I think Public Support and Contract Killer are also viable forms this punishment can come in.

Perhaps a 2c, trace 2, if successful, do 2 meat could supplement punitive, or offer a spot on the ‘value neural’ utility slot.

Maybe we can get an asset ‘when your turn begins, trash (this asset), trash 1 runner resource for each advancement on (this asset)’.

The examples are not important/balanced, the idea of other board state conditions to enable them other than tags, so we can finally get away from NBN being better at every Weyland plan than Weyland is.

1 Like

I think most new players, when they first read the card, think that tyr’s hand can be used to guarantee a fire of one sub – make it unbreakable for that run.

3 Likes

[quote=“zegrid, post:7, topic:9529, full:true”]A more Jinteki-ish card might be a one that can be advanced, and then you gain money per card in the Runner’s hand (since they might have drawn up expecting Snare?) when accessed if it is advanced.
[/quote]

I love that card. They can call it “DNA Bank”.

1 Like

A little bit like a non-unique Batty for bioroids…but without the psi game, just a sub that’s guaranteed to resolve?
You may be right about what most new players assume, but I’d venture to say that this is definitely not how it was probably intended to work.

4 Likes

Hostile Infrastructure needs the hostile subtype.

7 Likes

Mandatory effects that rely on private (i.e. not being accessed by the opponent) and hidden information to resolve (largely “search for” and/or “install/play X”) should be allowed to “fizzle”. I.e. the NEXT Opal errata, except for everything. The most obvious is Ultraviolet Level Clearance, required to install something… unless you have nothing to install. Then what? You have to call a judge? Every time? Yeah, sure, it’d be a buff to CI, which doesn’t really need it right now, but it easily resolves other random scenarios, like when you use SMC/Special Order/Tech Startup/etc. and happen to have nothing to find. Do you have to prove it? Do you try to roll-back, considering you just looked at the order of your deck? What if that’s not possible?

6 Likes

Or Celeb Gift in Weyland. They like to play with open cards, saying: “Look what we got. You might come and get it, but fear the consequences”

edit: ok i see other had the same idea. Should read the thread until the end before posting.

2 Likes

Celeb gift is best in jinteki because you can’t just throw it into every deck as an extra hedge fund, they are the faction most likely to care about hidden surprises

[quote=“ovamod7, post:15, topic:9529, full:true”]A little bit like a non-unique Batty for bioroids…but without the psi game, just a sub that’s guaranteed to resolve?
You may be right about what most new players assume, but I’d venture to say that this is definitely not how it was probably intended to work.
[/quote]

Well, we all know that the advertising department doesn’t always know the card pool that well, but I think the paragraph about Tyr’s hand on the C&C preview article sounds like they think it’s a pretty great card.

[quote=FFG Ad copy]If two seems like too much to spend for such amazing flexibility, then perhaps you’d consider an upgrade that costs only one … Tyr’s Hand ( Creation and Control , 22). Less versatile than Awakening Center over the long haul, Tyr’s Hand is an amazing ace in the hole. Because you don’t need to rez it until you want to trigger its ability, it remains nicely “in the hole,” and because its ability prevents a bioroid subroutine of your choice from being broken, it’s pure trump.
[/quote]

Pretty triumphant for a card that really means “prevent a subroutine from being broken once.” There are other decision points in the game that happen only once – runners can only decide to access once – this decision isn’t passed back and forth with priority – so it’s conceivable that the “pay to break subroutines” step of the encounter could be a one-time thing. I think the rules are cleaner if it works the way they have ruled, but I think Tyr’s hand reads like it should prevent breaking of the sub for the remainder of the run and it makes sense to work that way.

1 Like