Why Skorpios is bad for Netrunner

So both of your dedicated breakers have been RFG-ed. You have Aumakua. The corp purges. How do you get in now? If your AI breaker is acting as a third copy of the breaker type Skorpios is targetting then it needs to realistically be able to get into anywhere in a pinch, and not rely on some lucky arrangement of ICE that happens to suit a particular quirk of the AI you’ve picked.

2 Likes

You already made a mistake, this situation won’t arise if you don’t play Aumakua last. You can play it in second place, for example, and not run into this problem.

1 Like

You’re somehow right, this’ll happen 5 times out of 6.
But the corp can still purge while Turtle is the only breaker, and the situation stays the same.
Now, odds to draw 1 seeker out of 3, then 1 out of 2, then 1 out of 1, and not drawing agendas out of X is never considered a question by people who don’t play the corp…

If I remember well my stats, drawing 3/3 in a 45 runner card happenned half of the time when there was 18 cards left in stack (would have to recount that). In your 44 cards long deck, there is consequences to consider about your agendas drawn there.

why Netrunner is bad for Netrunner

7 Likes

Jacques Derrida? Is that you?

1 Like

To run the nets is to be always already entangled in those nets, unable to run. To play corp is to open up your body, your corp(se) to ever more persistent runs, mining data from deep within.The agendas overwhelm, they flood from your corp(se) into the maw of your archives. And yet the Same Old Thing again. To be a corp(se) is to have the runs.

Derrida out

13 Likes

Alright, m8. I’ll raise you a bit from Of Grammatology:

If the theory of Cybernetic Imaging is by itself to oust all metagames—including the concepts of Sol, of Life Imagined, of value Neural, of server choice, of MU—which until recently served to separate the machine from man, it must conserve the notion of Technical Writer, Trace 4, Astroscript Pilot Program, or Psychographics, until its own historico-metaphysical character is also exposed.

7 Likes

Mic-dropper.

1 Like

Man, I could spend all day doing this! Love it.

1 Like

Runner ID: Estelle, hateful woman.
One per turn, spend an action to ring for the bellhop. He will not answer.

4 Likes

Let us imagine that moved by jealousy, curiosity, or vice I have just glued my rig to the server and run through a keyhole. I am alone and on the level of a non-thetic R&D run. This means first of all that there is no access to inhabit my successful run, nothing therefore to which I can refer my agendas in order to score them.

6 Likes

I vastly prefer the direction this thread is going now.

8 Likes

We’re not far from this becoming Art-Haus Netrunner. I need to find my beret and some bongos. Oh, and a black turtle neck.

I do find it interesting that of all the threads, this one has taken on a life of its own.

1 Like

“My gerbil could write a better treatise.”

1 Like

See also 120 New Banana IDs - Trope-icana, The Future Parfait & Replantain

There is life on Mars.

Gosh, I just found the future name of my next MaxX tower yolo deck. In a Skorpio thread. Who could believe that.

“The Board had not always been so…reactive. But these were old men; and old men tire easily in the struggle for traction on the surly slopes of prediction. It was much easier for them to make decisions after events had transpired. The past was much kinder to the uber-elders of the Board—with their Klein-bottled pockets—than the future. Limitless resources can practically render the past in present-time. Skorpios was the child construed in their image. The times of the past-predictive future made way for the more reliable reactive present. The limit of the new mode approached Heisneberg’s nearly negligible rim of uncertainty. These remain the margins of our time—all that is left for those who intend to move and there, thereafter, be.”

Rubbish! Skorpios is Skorpios’ own worst enemy. Life will always adapt to the margins against which its survival is measured. You perceive the new rim as negligible only because your sense of proportion is ill-suited to it. To native eyes, entire universes may exist in these margins. Still not following? Let me spell it out for you. One, prevent. Two, mitigate. Three, minimize. Four, switch it up. Got it now?

2 Likes

That thread has gone bananas.

1 Like

i lost it at “Tallie Me Perrault”

2 Likes

You should make a Skorpios deck just to call it « De quoi Skorpios est-il le nom ? »