Winning Decklists: NYC Compleat Strategist - January 2014

Originally published at: Winning Decklists: NYC Compleat Strategist – January 2014 - StimHack

All new tournament winning decklists will now be hitting the forums for discussion. Think these decks are strong, bad, makes weird choices, defines a new archetype? Let us know what you think.

NYC Compleat Strategist January True Colors tournament winning decklists.

Kate and NBN: Making News

Pair of Sights (45 cards)
Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Event (19)
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Indexing
2 Infiltration
2 Scavenge
1 Stimhack •
3 Sure Gamble
3 Test Run
2 The Maker’s Eye

Hardware (7)
3 Clone Chip
2 Grimoire ••••
2 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (6)
3 Professional Contacts
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (4)
2 Crypsis
1 Deus X
1 Femme Fatale •

Program (9)
3 Datasucker •••
3 Parasite ••••• •
3 Self-modifying Code

NBN TIME (49 cards)
NBN: Making News

Agenda (12)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
3 Breaking News
2 Character Assassination
1 Gila Hands Arcology
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (5)
2 Bernice Mai
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (12)
3 Beanstalk Royalties •••
3 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (5)
3 Ice Wall •••
2 TMI

Code Gate (7)
3 Pop-up Window
1 RSVP
3 Viper •••

Sentry (5)
3 Caduceus ••••• •
2 Draco

Interesting take on the ICE-destroying Kate paradigm. I’ve found that, locally at least, it’s a deck type that either cranks out a pretty easy win as it grinds the Corp’s ICE away relatively effortlessly, or gets shut out. A lot of people around here have been experimenting with Rich Glacier archetypes, which I find it really weak against for whatever reason. I suspect it is also weak against NBN FA variants, but I haven’t played vs many (!?).

My take is here, maybe the ProfiContacts & Crypsis are key upgrades?

Corp deck is vanilla NBN Ops FA. No surprises there :).

1 Like

Regarding NBN, I think I have a better post-TrueColors update of “vanilla NBN Ops FA”.
http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/1864/here-is-the-news

My thoughts on NBN from NYC Compleat Strategist:

• I don’t think clicking on Gila makes much sense here, I use TGTBT for the spare 3/1
  • with Sweeps in, Beanstalk can go out (and actually landing Restructure in NBN is no biggie now)
  • this deck doesn’t advance Ice Walls, so Paper Walls are the way to go
  • I don’t see enough cheap hard ETRs, actually only 3 Ice Walls - with this setup rushing an agenda without SanSan is pretty hard
2 Likes

I haven’t tested much—having played NBN Ops FA through the tourney season last year, I made myself give it a rest—but I never got enough utility from Bernice/non-BN tags :(. My current, untested take has less tag punishment than before, so I swapped Bernice for Ash. I dunno though. I’m going to try it this week as we go into Store Championships.

My take on Making News at present is that influence savings from Paper Wall and Sweeps Week replacing Ice Wall and Beanstalk Royalties in “standard play” mean that Ash can now be imported (either 2x or 3x), replacing Bernice. Spare influence can also potentially be used to convert Enigma to Viper, though running RSVP is also a reasonable plan.

One thing I’ve noticed is that NBN is becoming more vulnerable to Link. Nobody runs link at present, of course, but it could grow to be a serious weakness in the future-- if your deck uses Viper, Caduceus, Draco, Ash, and TMI, an opponent who plays 3x Rabbit Hole or The Toolbox can put you in a rather desperate position.

As a result, I think it may be worthwhile to look into builds that are less reliant on traces-- perhaps out of TWIY*-- as NBN seems clearly the strongest Corp in events that cut to elims, and strong players may “meta in advance” to bolster their chances here.

2 Likes

I have been really liking TWIY right now, and I think they gained slightly more relative position than Making News from True Colors. I would be surprised if we didn’t see some seriously strong TWIY decks popping up very soon.

Both have been going gangbusters on OCTGN. I haven’t had time to play, but I have been scraping records for a secret project. Here’s where they are since TC (thru yesterday)—

[38] pry(main)> twiy.delta twiy.current, true_colors
=> {:wins=>440,
:losses=>298,
:games=>738,
:win_percentage=>0.5962,
:delta_percentage=>0.0599,
:net=>142}

[41] pry(main)> making_news.delta making_news.current, tc
=> {:wins=>955,
:losses=>681,
:games=>1636,
:win_percentage=>0.5837,
:delta_percentage=>0.0829,
:net=>274}

Making News is up 8.3%, TWIY up 6%, but look at the winrates! 59.6% for TWIY, 58.4% for MN. Crazy.

1 Like

Strongly agreed. The main weakness that I perceive in TWIY* is that Making News has much better counterplay options against Account Siphon. Draco and TMI can throw away your money while also strengthening HQ against further attacks, while Making News decks also tend to want to run more copies of Closed Accounts anyway.

1 Like

Wow! Very cool to see the spike, I know a few players I consider to be very strong ( @hollis ) have been pulling insane win rates lately. I am also now super interested in your data pulling and your secret project.

Tell me more about it. :wink:

Yeah, with the types of NBN decks I’m playing, I kind of feel like you have to actively try to make mistakes as corp to lose against mediocre players. Kinda suspect the NBN win rates are heavily influenced by that. Of course, I am assuming everyone else is playing decks like I am playing.

I am much more interested in numbers at the top 10% and 1%. My guess is both NBN identities are still ahead of the pack (TWIY* more than MN; it’s really easy to design bad decks with MN), but it’s more like 42-45% rather than 58-60%.

I think I’ve played 12ish games with NBN:TWIY the past week and lost either one or zero. Three against Anthony and nine against randoms. Though to be fair Anthony, the deck you were playing seems like it needs work :wink:

Edit: Also, I wonder how much of the spike in NBN win rates is due to “NBN got better” vs. “runners now have more cards that look good but are in fact bad/hard to build around”. Been seeing my fair share of Reina, Raymond Flint, Leverage, Woman in the Red Dress, Keyhole, and Grifter used for dubious purposes. Also, I am still seeing numerous people absolutely crippling themselves with Professional Contacts against NBN.

Yea the atrocious Kate deck went 1-2, and is ready for the trash bin. :stuck_out_tongue:

What sort of decks are you playing? I’m finding just standard Making News play to be pretty awesome.

X 3 Astro
X3 beale
X3 breaking news
X3 tgtbt (grrrrrr)

X3 sweeps week
X3 hedge
X3 shipent fr sanasan
X2 closed accts

X3 sansan
X3 jackson

X2 tollbooth
X1 static
X1 bastion
X3 popup
X 3 shadow
x3 neural katana
X1 danger zone

/Forget one

/drunk

/pew pew anthony

4 Likes

Drunk decklists are best decklists.

The shadows have been very strong.

Edit: Danger Zone is Archer.

Best. Decklist comments. Evar.

2 Likes

nbn now enjoys what criminals have had since the core set…completely open influence to cherry pick the best stuff from other factions.

jackson being non neutral bothers me a lot. every non nbn corp id card might as well say 12 influence because jackson speaks for 3.

3 Likes

This deck is outstanding. This is probably the state of the art FA.

it’s missing one card and one influence, I’m guessing ice wall? also we should move this discussion to another thread, kinda getting off topic

I’d built it and have been testing it with Rototurret as the last card, but Ice Wall would make just as much sense.

1 Like

I don’t understand the list. It looks like it ices centrals with shadows, popups and katana and tries to score with SanSan? Maybe build a remote mid game.

Or do you just go Wall of Static, Katana, Astro, and score?