Worlds 2014 - Top 16 Decklists

btw imo agenda should stay in remote unadvanced. unsure why whole turn was replayed.

4 Likes

First of all, If it weren’t for shortcuts, I would have gone to time in half of the top 16 matches. 35 minutes isn’t enough time to play RP if your opponent isn’t going as fast as they can, nor is it enough for PE. I understand the calls to make the game more deliberate to cut down on errors, but until we get a lot more time to play the game, you’re severely handicapping decks like NEH (which don’t need it) if you slow everything down.

With regard to the takeback, I sort of agree, I’m not sure I should have been allowed to take it back. I drew 3 times, (1 mandatory), and install-advanced a Nisei in my remote. Lukas noted I took four clicks and I asked if I could take the Nisei back to my hand, (It was just about as safe in the remote, but I asked for the takeback nonetheless). Lukas agreed. I guess because no hidden information was revealed to me, it was okay to rewind a bit, but honestly, if I were Lukas, I would have thought harder about letting me take it back. The whole turn wasn’t replayed, it was just my last click.

It wasn’t a psych-out or anything, I actually just made a mistake.

5 Likes

I know why: FFG wanted to go home. Kind of like sports referees letting shit go just to end the match.

3 Likes

Yeah, as we know with RP, it was pretty safe in the remote. Still, it did lead to a pretty nice game end for you. I mean, that was your only flatline all tourney, right?

EDIT: BTW, love how you leveled up from Pop-Up to ELP

1 Like

@aandries decks aren’t posted in this thread right? There are lots of interesting Andy decks with different meta calls, so I was wondering what made his particularly interesting / strong vs. NEH?

Even in tournament play, I allow people to take things back as long as no hidden information is revealed to them. Allowing a takeback after hidden information is revealed to your opponent might be a slightly different story, but still, I can understand the logic behind why Lukas let me pull it back. Of course, I would have understood just as well if he told me I had to leave the Nisei in the remote, but that’s just not what happened. I asked him; he said yes; he’s the final word.

If I were going to try to lure him into a deadly HQ run, I would have deliberated install-advancing the agenda rather than actually doing it. I could make it abundantly obvious there were an agenda in my hand if I wanted to without trying to take 4 clicks.

And yes, it was my only flatline in the tournament, and I think only my 3rd flatline in probably over 200 RP games.

3 Likes

They’re not; @aandries was 17th, and can link to them, if he likes. He gets his rig up ASAP, turn 2 v. one NEH. That means NEH and their typical suite of toilet-paper-thin ICE isn’t stopping him, and he can Siphon/Legwork/dig R&D at will. He had 3 Bank Jobs, as well, which auto-fire v. NEH.

3th place deck, for now only corp

3 Likes

All I did for three weeks before worlds was test decks to beat NEH. Everything else was secondary. At the zero hour I realized I over-teched and replaced two card slots back. You can beat NEH consistently, but it will cause you to have major match-up deficiencies over the other Corps. My hope was to get some early sweeps and get into the higher brackets and avoid the more “roguish” match-ups. It succeeded and failed. I did get early sweeps and did move up, but I kept hitting those rogue corps. My opponents were: Blue Sun (worst match-up), Blue Sun, RP (Tax build is my second worst match-up), RP, PE, NEH, & NEH. Thankfully I played fast and hard enough to get those wins regardless of ID. With the exception of that PE game and the OMG open. Even still, it was a protracted 40 minute game with cards still in my deck at the end.

On a side note - I actually think the best deck is the RP Tax build that Dan pilots (style). I avoid it because of the fear of going to time in the current format. I’ve played it in events and had to constantly push my opponent to play and move the game
on a slow draw it can take a long time to get to your end game.

8 Likes

This reminds me - this year’s stream was the first time I saw @IirionClaus play, and I have to say
 his slow, calculated, deliberate movements were hypnotizing to watch, came off as extremely professional, and actually were kinda unnerving (since he seems so calm, composed and in control of the situation at all times). Definitely a total 180 from the rest of the “strung-out ferret on crack” acts, and a thing to aspire to, in my opinion!

5 Likes

Thank you! I was working on it but did not practice enough - I had many moments when I disconnected and that’s usually when I made mistakes. For next year I plan to train on keeping the slow pace.

1 Like

WALKING ON THIN ICE THERE

8 Likes

I agree. It was a pleasure watching El-Ad play. Everything was very clear and deliberate.

Though I think there’s a bit of gamesmanship in playing very quickly. Obfuscates information a bit and adds to the mental taxation of your opponent

I would love to play slowly and deliberately in a tournament, but depending on your deck, the time rules basically put you at a huge disadvantage if you don’t seize the opportunity to hurry the fuck up when you need to, and by extension, play in such a way that your opponent goes more quickly as well.

1 Like

Agreed. If the kids at home can’t keep up, condolences. I know in rewatching Dan and I play, the commentators were def. run in circles.

WATCH FOR DEM TRAPS!

1 Like

I appreciate fast play tbh. I hate when people take forever during a timed match. Not saying you need to be careless, but I would think haste would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I think Dan is thinking about whether to put more ICE on
 oh no wait
 now its his next turn.

4 Likes

All I can picture is the calculated, deliberate and professional security testing on that remote hahah. Sorry @IirionClaus!

Do you remove 5 and then take 9 for your Sure Gambles? How many times do you have to pay 4 and take 3 for Adonis before you start just paying 1. You cross the line when your opponent can’t follow your play but until that point it just makes sense.

5 Likes

Oh god, your whole Andy vs PE match I was just dying for the commentators to say something smart like

“Against a Cambridge PE deck, this blind Siphon would connect because the only ICE are porous or clickable: Yagura, Pup, and Eli. With the Plascrete in hand he can float tags against the singleton Scorched Earth we expect to see.”

Actual commentary

“I don’t think that Plascrete is going to help him, I don’t think Minh runs any meat damage.”
“It’s an Enigma, that just ends the run. And costs a click too!”

4 Likes

You don’t even do it in casual play :smiley:

It’s not even playing slowly. It’s playing the game in a normal manner while tracking your clicks and declaring individual actions. In tournament play you can’t expect people to read your mind and know what you just did. Of course there is no FFG rule against aggregating actions, and you use that to your advantage, but let’s not pretend like it’s required to play at your pace to play the game, or even RP.

And honestly you do sometimes play as slow as the people you complain about. It’s just when you’re losing as runner. There were times in the final round where you took a full minute before taking an action vs PE, and you had some very long turns vs NEH against Spags. Respect to Minh and Spags for not taking advantage. I was sure heckling up your slow play from the chat room :smiley:

Now looking at those finals games, when you are making mistakes that have to be rolled back or need to explain to the guy who created the game what actions you just took, doesn’t that just negate the few seconds taken rushing through the turn?

I’d definitely like to see more rules around tracking actions in a tournament. It’s always a better experience when people are enjoying actually playing the game and not annoyed by its processes.

That said, I’m not trying to be a dick, you played exceptionally well and your stamina to play at such a pace for so long is impressive, but I think you could have played the game at a normal pace and still won the whole damn thing.

/endrant

6 Likes