This idea occurred to me yesterday, and may have been brought up before on SH. It would be fun to do a fantasy league for Worlds 2015. I’m not super familiar with fantasy leagues in general, but here are my initial thoughts:
- Each drafter picks a team of players. I was thinking 5 might be a reasonable number.
- Points are awarded based on each player’s performance at Worlds. This needs the most crunching out, but I think for Swiss it could be based on Prestige (maybe factoring SoS somehow; I’m not a big numbers person), then another method for the Cut.
- Low buy-in, something like $5-10. Distribution something like 1st place 50% pot, 2nd 30% and 3rd 20%. Platform/method of pay in/out needs to be settled.
Issues I foresee:
- Getting a list of Stimhackers going to Worlds
- Getting sufficient tournament information (from FFG, or somehow)
- Settling points/scoring system
- Settling payment platform
- Gambling laws? >.>
The trickiest to me seems to be the second. One way around it could be to only draft for the Cut, and maybe reduce teams to 3 players. None of this matters if there isn’t any interest, though. Does this sound fun to anyone else? I don’t foresee any participating Worlds attendants throwing matches to improve their chances in the league, especially since full Swiss+Cut results wouldn’t be available until everything was over.