2015 European Nationals Info

@PeekaySK What’s the minimum for organising a Nationals? Approximately?

That’s not for us TOs to decide, it’s a matter for distributors. Basically, a National takes way more work to have than a SC or a Regional (which just takes an application and approval thereof).

I had just thought that FFG had an official statement somewhere that mentioned the requirements for hosting a Nationals. Damn, I guess we’ll never have Baltic Nationals :frowning:

Don’t be sad. In Holland we had no regionals, no nationals. Last year we got Nationals and this year three Regionals. This game is this expanding

2 Likes

I hope it won’t be the same date that Poland will have. We will probably visit Bratislava. :slight_smile:
I’m also waiting for Netherlands nationals date, as I’ll probably attend them too.

1 Like

@PeekaySK do Czech/Slovak Netrunner players play Magic as well? During discussion about best weekend to hold Polish Nationals someone said that last weekend of August is bad because Magic GP Prague happens then so there would be no attendance by Czech/Slovak players, is this really something that is worth considering?

I think Czech playersxare not playing mtg on competetive level too much. A bigger factor is location, imho. The more north the location of nationals would be, less people will attend

Hi there, i work in on of the “big four” of law firms and our lawyers thinks that forbidding the access a cause of nationality is against a lot of articles in the european common law. I was thinking in a summer travel to the german nationals but suprise! Foreigners not allowed!.

show me an article which applies to competitive card games mr. @maligno. Non-french/dutch/germanetc are not allowed in the french/dutch/german etc open running/insert random sport here either

edit:
Not that I agree with Heidelberger(which is behind all of this I think?), but it’s a silly point to make

It’s the article that prevents Bayern Munich from joining the Dutch League. Oh wait… :sunglasses:

1 Like

@tpi already answered re: the Czech crowd, I can tell you that the overlap between Slovakia’s competitive Magic players and competitive Netrunner players (where “competitive” is taken as meaning “would bother to travel to Poland for a tournament”) is exactly zero.

“European non-discrimination law, as constituted by the EU non-discrimination directives, and Article 14
of and Protocol 12 to the European Convention on Human Rights, prohibits discrimination across a range
of contexts and a range of grounds”

Under Article 14 the ECHR protects all individuals within the jurisdiction of its 47 States parties, whereas the EU non-discrimination directives only offer protection to citizens of the 27 EU Member States.

2.2. Direct discrimination : ‘difference in the treatment of persons in analogous, or relevantly
similar, situations’, which is ‘based on an identifiable characteristic‘

For example i have the same rights that other european citicen, if a Germans, Swiss or Austran can, why i cant? Why i can play in french/british/spanish tournament as a “foreign player” but in Germany i cant?.

There is like 600 pages about non-discrimination law in EU. I can copy paste all if you want xD but i think this forum isnt the place.

Even if you’re right, who the fuck will takes the time and effort to go on court for a card game tournament ? :0

Basically, because you’re not paying nearly enough to cover the costs of the tournament. Nationals are more of a promo event for the distributor than an actual, self-sustaining tournament, so the distributor gets their say in what to do with the prizes. This is especially true in the case of distributors like Heidelberger, which are strictly in the business of creating and distributing a language variant of the game, and for which other distributors’ different language versions are direct competition.

Shit gets a bit more shady in the case of Austrians being excluded (since they’re actually part of Heidelberger’s consumer segment), but you have to draw the line somewhere, I guess. The easiest solution would be to only have german language cards be legal at the tournament, but you can’t really do that because of the tournament rules as such.

Ok, so imagine you go there, make an argument, piss everyone off, maybe get in. And what have you achieved? Getting the smartass status and bad fame, also a participation. And bad mood for everyone. See, Netrunner community is very awesome and I hope it stays this way. Maybe that sort of behaving would be normal in Magic, where the level of competitiveness is a lot higher but Netrunner is (mostly) about the community. And it wouldn’t be a nice thing to do. (I’m not saying I support their decision, it’s just that it takes 2 sides to start a fight.)

I don’t have anything against you, you might be bringing this up jokingly, just this is something that shouldn’t really be done if we all hope to grow this community of ours and keep it alive.

1 Like

This. 1000 times this.

1 Like

The same discussion was made a year ago when Heidelberger forbid playing other cards than english or german in Regionals. Let’s not have it again.

1 Like

Im not a competitive player, in fact im very very noob in netrunner, but i really love visit other countries and play in great events, meet new people, and have fun. Five years ago i meet with WARS MALTA (a club in Malta), Two years ago i spend my holidays in Nottingham with other club, i have played in Paris, Strasbourg, Madrid, Barcelona, Brussels, in Krakow, etc… In fact my fiance is from Strasbourg and she really loves to play board games and card games around the world.
When we discovered the possibility of visit another country for play (in a castle) was very disappointing that “foreigners not allowed”.

(And not we dont play magic xD )

well, if they are smart, German nationals are open for all next year, just like last year. But that’s just my two cents

@Maligno , I’m no major in European Law, but I’m sure you are leaving some things out here, and for simplicity sake, I’ll rest my case at the fact non(insert europe country)swimmers are not allowed at the (same europe country) nationals for said event

1 Like

(A bit off-topic ranting)
These translations of board games I just don’t get. Why do people try to make everything that difficult? Wouldn’t you rather play the original rather than some sort of (not always the best) adaptation for your language? Might be the small nation syndrome doing its work for me here.
Plus, Netrunner is not a game that will appeal to large masses of public, why try translating it? That causes a lot of trouble about what translations might be legal, trying to explain how a card works to a new player from another country. And is it really that profitable? Or do people really have trouble understanding English used in the game (I mean, even if you don’t speak English all that well, you can still memorize the terms pretty well.)
Anyways, I might be too off-topic so I should stop :smiley:

1 Like