Arkham Horror LCG Discussion

The Team Covenant folks recorded a playthrough of the demo that they had at GenCon:

Looked pretty easy, but then again they said it was setup on the “easy” difficulty and it’s a convention demo, so… I’m guessing it will get harder from here :slight_smile:

Kind of intrigued by the campaign-mode / experience-point deckbuilding focus

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this demo and it has me 100% convinced I’ll be buying into this game. I’ve always wanted to get into LotR and I’ve played it a few times… but the huge existing card pool is a big deterrent. I’ll be glad to get into this from day 1.

3 Likes

I picked up LotR for awhile, but lack of interest in it from my gaming partners plus my only lukewarm appreciation of it meant I ended up parting with it

1 Like

Bump because Arkham Horror the Card Game was officially released this week. My wife and I picked ours up yesterday and played through the first and second scenario tonight. We had a really great time, the game is challenging and rewarding and a blast to play. Anyone else gotten a chance to play it yet?

1 Like

NO. Because they don’t print enough copies, because they prioritize sold-out headlines over actually selling the game.

That is definitely not what happened

3 Likes

Then how come it sold out in one f-ing day?

Seriously? At the distributor level or?

More than enough here locally, so I’m guessing I’m missing something.

Online I mean. Local obviously depends on your area.

This game is fantastic. My only gripe is how few cards are available right now to deck build with. 10 for each faction and the neutrals isn’t enough

This will change quickly I suppose.

I also have no idea what a good rule of thumb is yet for skill cards.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was wondering. Theoretically, shouldn’t the draw 1 card skills be autoincludes for investigators with high numbers of that stat? So guts for Agnes, or Overpower for Roland?

Right now we are trying x2 of the cards that play to strengths and x1 of the non strengths to cover gaps. Unexpected Courage could probably just replace those slots.

See, that’s my problem. So you basically have only like 20 cards in your deck, because the rest are icons.

Loving this game. Played the first two scenarios with a single core, caved, bought a second core and I’m sitting here figuring out how to make 4 decks to complement one another.

2 Likes

I think you want to jam about 5-8 skill cards max. Anything else eats into deck slots.

But I could just be off my rocker. I still have no idea what the proper ratio is.

1 Like

After playing it further, I think ideally you slot 2 of the role skills and 2 Unexpected Courage. If you are playing 1 or 2 player, I would slot two more for general use.

I agree, the less players you have the more you want to invest in having skill cards in your deck. I also think one of the most important skills to acquire in the game, one which I am still learning, is when to commit a card for its skill icons rather than play it.

1 Like

uggggh i’m already playing Netrunner and LotR…

They were selling copies in Crossroads games yesterday, where they hosted a Netrunner SC!

I think I am dropping LotR for this. The deck building is lighter, but I love the element of randomness added by the chaos bag. It makes things in the game harder to predict than LotR.

Plus the baked in campaign mode is fantastic.

The only caveat I would add is to try not to think of the campaigns in a binary manner and don’t be afraid of the resign action. LotR typically has binary results that you keep playing until you win.

3 Likes