Clot (now 2 inf)

[quote=“PeekaySK, post:199, topic:3072”]Except not really. If you read up on @Lluluien’s [original write-up][1], you’ll see that the threat of letting an Astro slip by comes from being able to never-advance a PSF (which turns on both Raven and Snares). The EoW is there mostly just to upgrade PSF lock from “annoyance” to “lethal”.
[/quote]

Looking at that writeup, the first thing lluluien mentions is the threat of the astrotrain. It’s been mentioned here several times already - even if an NBN deck does something completely different (like Edge of World/PSF combos) it still has a huge benefit simply from that threat existing. If you see yellow on the other side of the table, you have to respect it. That has become much easier to account for.

Glacier for 7 points is kinda bullshit. I’d rather RP have to biotic or trick of light out their last agenda instead of relying on the nisei token.

4 Likes

Fair. Honestly, I’m hoping that we get something that interferes with that.

7 points CI (non Shutdown) has no issues fitting in Cyberdex Virus Suit into the combo. The issue is Utopia Shard and Leela.

I think the right move would have been to print a card that hoses agenda counters. A current saying “hosted agenda counters cannot be spent” would be too weak but perhaps a program or resource that’s not too hard to get rid of (make it virtual, make people play foxfire). All that’s left now is the slim hope that clot is a hoax.

I also wish the general power level were a bit lower, since although the meta is healthy, the power spread in the card pool is not. But that can’t really be fixed without straight-up errata. I don’t want hate cards that are so powerful that they take away from the existence of several distinct decks that are dedicated to a particular archetype. Then you end up with horrible boring metas like MTG standard a few months ago (nothing but mono-green midrange mirrors), where there’s only one generic good-stuff deck.

3 Likes

My go at that hate current was “As an additional cost to spend an agenda counter, the corp must forfeit the agenda hosting it.”

Better a land mine rather than a wall.

Event: runner trashes the agenda token of his choice.

I guess the hit rate for cards is about 20-30% - each faction gets 3-5 playable-great cards per cycle out of 14-16 cards. Obviously it would be better if that was higher, but idk it’s hard and it’s probably better to miss low than miss high so I get the caution. I think that FFG have got better. More cards per pack are good now than in Genesis (especially the corp cards). I don’t think there’s any trading card game where all the cards are good. I’m not sure it’s possible to make.

We need a better way to interact with Caprice. S&W/Quest Completed are your Source and Chakana. We need a Clot.

In an alternate universe, would Clot that was hardware rather than a program with exactly the same text (perhaps minus virus) be playable? Probably not really? I really think stopping the astrotrain at the station is necessary to make interesting and fun NBN decks. Otherwise you’re just finding new and (not particularly) interesting ways to FA your astro.

Whatever interesting, fun netrunner you can play for the first few turns, the helpless feeling that creeps over you when the first Astro is scored is not fun. NBN with a scored Astro means the runner has one line of play. Dig R&D so hard that even NEH can’t find any more agendas.

Drive By is close to being good enough. If only you could expose face up cards, or if Drive By derezzed before the expose, it would be pretty good counterplay for Caprice.

We don’t need a super hard counter to every single way the corp has to score agendas. The corp is getting worse by the moment now, we don’t need to completely invalidate every corp. Maxx hoses RP hard enough without any special tools. Hard counters to specific strategies have always been poor design, be they plascrete, clot, or anything in between.

4 Likes

Must have missed the memo. Why does Maxx hose RP hard?

2 Likes

Imp can trash TFP/NAPD out of centrals, you’re running Parasites in faction and recursion as a matter of point, you have the free draw to help you keep up in tempo and play RPs click compression game, I’ve had worse can turn rezzing a Komainu/Tsurugi into a terrible tempo hit for the corp, and it’s also my firm belief that people should be playing Doppelganger in Maxx, which takes RP from a great matchup to a nigh unloseable one. And RP has trouble trying to keep a safe remote and deal with R&D digging simultaneously, which makes Medium super strong, unlike against Blue Sun, where Parasite has a hard time being effective.

RP can get some percentage points back against Maxx by running multiple Lotus Fields and by playing Cerebral Static (the best Maxx hoser by far) but until people actually do that, RP is in for a rough time.

5 Likes

I see your point. But I think it’s ok so long as there are counters to the counters. You get to choose - either you ram your strategy down your opponents throat, brushing aside counterplay, or you have a more or less multiple strategy with multiple win cons.

The nature of asymmetric games is we drift one way then the other. I agree that the balance is in a good spot right now. But NEH is still gross and tedious.

I disagree. RP players have already adjusted, as evidenced by some lists in the Tournament Winning thread. Komainu are gone, Tsurugi are no longer an auto include. All RP has to do to stay on top is run resilient ICE, they maybe have to give up ELP, but I think RP is still positioned as the #1 Corp deck, once tweaked properly. Everyone jumps to Imp as the reason Anarchs can beat a number of decks, but Anarchs are never guaranteed Imp when they need it. No Anarch besides Whizz can afford to trash MHC DBS and Sundew out of RP. Don’t count RP out yet; I fully expect RP in some form to win quite a few Regionals.

3 Likes

I’ve been running Doppelganger in Reg-MaxX. It can get pretty vicious.

1 Like

Utopia Shard and Leela aren’t even half as bad as Hades Shard and Eater Maxx. You can beat the other two without drawing your whole deck. Clot is beatable but it’s a big problem, fitting an extra click isn’t trivial, (though you do have shutdowns to kill SMC/CC), and if they have clone chip on the board, you need to Cyberdex twice because you dont score all at once. The reason I went and played the deck up until now was because this will kill it.

And pretty much all CI for that matter.

2 Likes

Agreed, this is the worst part about clot, is that it takes down several entire IDs that are designed to only score from hand. It’s poor design, as NBN is the faction with the tools to play around clot already. HBFA just got wiped out as collateral damage.

4 Likes

Yep, Leela is pretty easy to get around. Fitting an extra click requires incredible luck in drawing (all 3 AD, or Kaguya for example) and is damn near impossible to rely on. I’ve been playing CI at the last 3 SC’s for the same reason - this deck is over. Too bad, because it is great fun.

Well I guess we can start playing it again in 2019 when Leela and Clot will rotate right? :smile:

Granted, Bifrost Array, Project Vitruvius and Accelerated Diagnostics will also be gone by then, but I’m sure we’ll get something similar by then also. EC is here to stay and is the most important piece by far.

Something else. My first post is showing up for everyone, right? The one with the link to the deck list I was talking about and the video of the combo being played? :stuck_out_tongue:

To be very, very clear… I’m referring to the double Biotic, Shipment from Mirrormorph, triple Shipment from Kaguya, double Trick of Light single turn seven point Cerebral Imaging.

It turns an 11-card 13-credit combo into a 13-card 20-credit combo. I’m a big fan of unwieldy jank, but even I think this probably makes the combo a bridge too far. That said… yeah, you are correct that Leela and the Shards did more damage to this sort of deck than CVS.

1 Like