Competitive Kit Discussion

I don’t think so. Installing the Yog is awkward early because it’s so expensive (you, for instance, are relying on SMC-ing it, so you need to come up with 7c and those 3 Modded aren’t helping), you’re often forced into making crappy runs just to charge Datasucker, in the mid-game it’s awkward to play around possible program trashing, and the shell is generally light on money so trashing assets and getting Atman online is difficult.

This was my experience playing a lot of Yog-sucker Kit back in '14, and if anything I think the meta then wasn’t as bad for it as the meta now.

I think if you want to play it you’re gonna need a couple Stimhack. You should probably lose the Legwork for 2 Stimhack - you’ll be checking HQ a lot just to farm suckers anyways, and Stimhack will help you get the Yog up early.

good point on the stimhacks. The list is actually better than it used to be imo only bc of NRE. That helped a lot. I agree about money and trashing assets.

-1 scavenge
-1 legwork
+2 stimhack

Here is self proclaimed Best Dressed Man In Netrunner playing his Kit deck at UK Nationals.

2 Likes

@HEacho would like a word

5 Likes

Is Kit with refractor, surfer and paintbrush any good? seems cheaper than normal breakers kit with refractor

Dressing appropriately for the event is also highly underrated by these people in waistcoats at netrunner tournaments. It’s a skill.

Probably too early to say definitely whether it’s good or not (anyone have actual testing with this?). My inclination is probably not at a high level. It’s a little slow, potentially MU hungry, and the more standard stealth rig is already super efficient at breaking things so I’m not sure how much money surfer saves. However, it definitely seems super fun and I will be building a surfer Kit deck as soon as UoT is out.

It’s slow. The main problems are getting the outermost ice rezzed for Paintbrush, and needing both Paintbrush and Surfer to get into most 2 ice servers (a pretty big speed bump). Also, don’t underestimate the cost of having to click Paintbrush before most runs.

@gumOnShoe was making a stealth kit/surfer deck (I had a similar list, bu I think theirs is better). Check out the Surfer thread for details on that!

I wasn’t finding the time or mu worth it; The only place I like surfer right now is in professor as a 1x. When it comes up. It’s good. But you’re not building around it or comitting influence for it; pretty good with corroder. Probably decent straight out of anarch. Wouldn’t worry about it any other way. I agree with @Razalhague. And I’m beginning to believe that influence strapped kit is probably the wrong place for it, even if it’s occasional econ.

I think Kit with Surfer + Paintbrush + Refractor + Stealth credits is probably too much setup for too little payout.

We should play on OCTGN and you can experience the actual best use of surfer :wink:

I’ll be on all day Saturday, I’m hoping (aside from lawn mower build & setup). Possibly streaming. If you’re around, I’d love too. Though to be honest at this point, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU PLAY THIS GAME. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

2 months of almost 0 play. Packing Moving Unpacking. It’s a fun game. Whereby you get points for having less shit. Like golf. Maybe not like netrunner.

2 Likes

I agree that the setup and prep time to use surfer isn’t worth it. I’m glad to see seamus rocking Pro Co instead of baby in that video. As much as I dislike playing pro co, it’s correct in stealth kit imo.

Looks like a Kit deck took top place at the (one of?) London leg of the ANR Pro tour! 49 players, so a pretty decent field: ANR Pro Circuit – Loading Bar, London (49 players) - StimHack

Looks like Seamus’ build with -1 Modded, -1 Astrolabe, -1 Utopia Shard, -1 Mimic, -1 Deus Ex, then +1 Akamatsu, +2 Crescentus, +2 Film Critic. Interested to hear more about it! I’m sure some of the other Stimhackers were there.

2 Likes

Hey, that was me. I basically copied Seamus’ deck but made some some tweaks to suit my play style (+Crescentus) and some meta calls (-Deus Ex, +Film Critic).

I think Stealth Kit is in a great place right now because it can be quick against fast advance decks but doesn’t get taxed out by slower decks. In fact, my easiest match ups on the day were trad RP and NEH but I had a bit more trouble against things like Cybernetics Division and Biotech.

And then Film Critic directly counters what used to be this deck’s hardest matchups. Namely, RP’s annoying agendas, midseasons and PE’s death by a thousand cuts.

7 Likes

Did you run into HB Caprice builds? I’ve found those to be kind of a problem. Reecie on R&D, Ash on the Remote, just can’t get the last couple points.

Granted, I think I misplayed once by leaving a Breaker Bay Grid I could have trashed with Ghost Runner credits.

Yeah, Caprice, Batty and Ash aren’t your friend. I didn’t see any HB Caprice though I saw Caprice out of RP obviously and Batty out of HB. I guess I just got lucky and was able to trash them out of R&D before they were a problem. Just think of Caprice as even more reason to get your R&D lock on as early as possible!

Came in 2nd in an ANRPC with this here:

Kit’s Knives

Rielle “Kit” Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Event (13)

Hardware (7)

Resource (13)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (7)

4 Likes

2 slots for NARC sticks out to me. I understand the synergy with FC, and they may be standing in for Plascrete. Were they worthwhile?

Not in the slightest. Should have played 2 Paricia.

Was afraid of Breaking News and SEA Source in the notoriously flatline-happy Colorado meta.

1 Like