Damon's six month rule

Fair enough. But I really don’t like the direction of this because I’ve seen it go wrong time and time again.

1 Like

Deets

5 Likes

I share this concern as well. In larger card games you can support new formats.

I am not sure Netrunner has the numbers to start allowing for multiple formats to be successful.

The new MWL cannot come soon enough.

2 Likes

I think more harm is currently done by the terrible meta we are living in ever since the start of 2016.

First there was the MWL which had a great promise, but in reality was an utter failure.
The Anarch / Faust dominance which we are having for the past 5 months is a direct result of MWL nerfing all the alternative runner strategies, while keeping the Corps relatively unscathed.

Then we got the Mumbad cycle, which instead of improving on the problems (the main one being of course the lack of viable Runner decks and engines), created the obnoxious and unsufferable asset spam decktypes, which are immune to pretty much all the standard Runner strategies thanks to stupid strong AND tutorable support cards.

And while we are suffering this for the past 5 months, FFG has not done even as much as aknowledge that there might be some unhealthy elements about the game.
I have currently very little faith in them doing the needed changes to fix the game.
And I applaud the community for taking the matters to their own hands and doing the right steps.

14 Likes

I am not sure there really is a right steps in this regard. I do think a lot of the reactions right now are due to simple lack of information or in some cases too much information.

My point is that this decision is not unilateral. The community is not a monolith and while I do like the spirit of this decision I am hesitant to embrace this idea. Doing this essentially creates a second format for the game and gives credence to anyone who ever complains about any cards being overpowered ever in the future, right or wrong.

I am not going to argue that asset spam is “fun” to play or that faust is balanced. I believe there are some problems there that need to be sorted out.

However, by doing this, we are opening a pandora’s box regarding the perception of balance that might not be easily closed.

2 Likes

I think the biggest issue is how much deckbuilding is warped. In PPvP era, nobody wouldn’t include cards saying “oh PPVP kills this card”. But Faust/David does that.
And as for IG. Nobody ever went, “oh this card is really good against foodcoats but terrible against other decks, but I’ll include it anyway.” Now we do that.

3 Likes

To a degree parasite was a bit more ubiquitous and yog was also a staple, which made code gates basically terrible.

Granted, faust basically does that to everything right now.

Anarch is the problem, and always was. Nobody complains that “oh, diesel is oppresive”. Even when Anarch was worthless trash they were a problem cause of yog and parasite.

1 Like

Correct. Although I remember when Account Siphon was the flavor of the week in terms of sky is falling, meta warping cards.

Maybe its just because Shapers have had relatively even power level cards releases, as opposed to Anarch getting all the good stuff and Criminals starting with a few amazing cards.

Shaper can achieve just as oppressive of an end-game as Anarch, with deep RND lock via the most efficient traditional breakers in the game (Lady; CyCy) paired with multiple RDI. They can easily play any number of Killers, and can opt for the Stealth route for even more efficiency. I reckon people don’t complain about Shaper because it seems more fair; your ICE is still on the board and the Shaper has to pay money, but the end result is the same, a very negligible chance of victory for the Corp.

Anarch isn’t a problem. Faust may be subverting some of the traditional fundamentals of the game, but there is no problem faction. Parasite is as fair as SMC is as fair as Account Siphon. These are faction-defining cards and not game-warping. Some would argue Anarch is reaching a critical mass of faction-defining, power cards. I won’t argue that they have an incredible card pool, but I would recommend every Runner and Corp faction be given the attention that Anarch has. I would like to see a Criminal engine on par with Wyldcakes, for example.

In the meantime, Faust on the MWL is probably fair. Adding Faust and Chronotype seems a bit hyperbolic.

5 Likes

I distinctly remember that people stopped including barriers (except Eli) at the time, since it was futile against PPVP-Kate.

4 Likes

sarcasm is wasted on some people…

1 Like

Increased inf by +2 Desperado, this thing is just still to good

over all the game isnt in that bad of a shape there are plenty of answers for problem cards, all part of the LCG fun is working out the meta

Museum of History is a unique candidate imho.

6 Likes

We’ve seen ig win premier tournaments such as CT regionals off of the back MoH. It is a key and powerful card and the matchup doesn’t take that much longer than a glacier build. It is much more than a time issue.

1 Like

Musueum is a limit 1 per deck imo.

6 Likes

Looking back, that is obviously sarcastic. Don’t know how I missed it. Did you edit?:stuck_out_tongue:

I get why people hate this style of play. I hate it too on jenteki. But how often does it actually get played in the wild and how often is it a winner?

At the KC tournament one person played it and they didn’t win. I they didn’t even come close. It’s won some store championchips and regionals, but I would bet NEH fastro has won way more. Kit also won a regional this year, does that mean refractor is beyond the pale? Why is IG museum #bad ?

1 Like

Museum IG is cancer. It’s not fun to play, nor play against. This from someone who almost won a Regional and SC with it, and just put the smackdown on it in a tournament series he runs.

FWIW, alsciende at the NRDB decided to support us, adding a new tournament format for deckbuilding to his site.

15 Likes

The top 8’s we are typically seeing most of the time is 1 maybe 2 IG in the top spot, and 7 other decks, several of which match eachother, in the other slots. That is not the results pattern you get from a deck being a full tier above every other strategy - except perhaps when that deck is soft-banned/underplayed for its power level. Which raises some questions.

4 Likes