DD @ Worlds? Place your bets

Who told you this?

That’s just the FFG “upcoming” page, which isn’t really the best source of updated information.

1 Like

Earlier this month was the best time to announce whether D&D was going to be legal or not. As much of a killjoy I am I personally find that the best thing FFG can do is not make D&D legal for Worlds. If their distributing doesnt follow through properly and they make D&D legal for Worlds they better give each contestant a copy upon checking in.

6 Likes

They still have time, but not much. I hope they don’t forget that international players often get packs and boxes later than US. It could be horribly one-sided if all US players get all the new stuff, and the others only have up to UoT.

to be fair, most international players has been playtesting with D&D for months now. I’m gonna assume that D&D will be legal and that i will be able to buy that at the FFG center.

To be fair some might have playtested with d&d. Some like me don’t like octgn and enjoy playing cards in reallife. I have never played a single game with d&d. Even if i could buy a box d&d at worlds i would play my first games with d&d during worlds. To make a deluxe set legal when it is not available 3 weeks prior to the event would be stupid and would create a big disadvantage to non-online players

3 Likes

I think if FFG can guarantee a copy for all players at worlds they could make it legal. People can playtest with proxies if they don’t want to test online. We’ve known all the cards for 2.5 months.

The problem is not knowing. FFGs shipping issues, last year with Conquest, this year with D&D and Thrones v2, always surprise me. I guess I should stop being surprised. FFG need to get better at talking to people, if they don’t know now they should probably call it and say it isn’t legal.

1 Like

So FFG should base their decision on people playing games on an internet site ripping off their IP and copyrighted images?

That’ll definitely encourage people to buy physical cards. :smiley:

Point taken that at least we know what the cards do, but as for proper testing… it’s fly by the seat of your pants time for a lot of people. :wink:

6 Likes

News Team, GFI, 24/7 News Cycle, QPM, 15 Minutes and Turnpike are all good in the decks you’d expect them to be good in.
All the Corp IDs are worse than NEH.
The Runner cards in the box are garbage.

I’ve saved you all that D&D testing you haven’t done.

21 Likes

I wouldn’t mind it as much if ffg would have told us that d&d would be legal but not available prior to worlds (europe wont get d&d before worlds) and we would get our copy at worlds. Then i would have proxied the cards. So i waited for its release and since it is still on the boat (somewhere in the bermuda triangle i assume) i didnt bother testing d&d.
Point taken not knowing well in advance is the main problem

Thanks for the summary. I assumed as much. But as a world class player (you not me) you know the difference between reading cards and playing with them/against them.

Hey now Multithreader is alright! And also there’s…um…hmm…

6 Likes

The cards are known for like 3 months now. Even if you don’t play online, you can still playtest with proxies.

@vinegarymink: Resistor / Archangel are better ice than Turnpike, Launch Campaign is also pretty good in the right deck, Assassin is a boon for glacier decks and Keegan Lane is really strong when it works.

1 Like

A mantra for all of the best cards in all card games :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

Playing with proxies? What am I, French?

10 Likes

So I agree with you and and this is funny, but the relevant question is how relatively good they are right. Does GFI reinvigorate HB builds or (maybe?) RP, for instance to the point to them being viable choices. I’ve only just got into playing netrunner online, and I’m not sure its anywhere near as useful as taking decks to proper tournaments with good people and a varied field.

2 Likes

Thats beside the point. The problem is that i didn’t know if d&d would be legal. Announcing it on such a short notice is unfair to those who don’t play online.

Add News Hound to that list and yeah, pretty much.

You will likely find that online play is far more useful than any other method of practicing. You do however need to filter your opponents, which is much easier to do online than it is at a meetup. If you just play anyone you meet, the I agree the environments are fairly similar, but there are a lot of good players from across the world playing online, and if you mark your games as for advantaged players only you will consistently find yourself playing against excellent opposition. I don’t think there is any other way to mimic a competitive tournament environment outside of playing lots and lots of tournaments.

Playing online also makes it a lot easier to test slight changes to your decks and iterate faster, something which can be much more problematic with actual cards.

3 Likes

I did a ton—and I mean a ton—of online practice during the 2013 tournament season, and I definitely agree that if the good players will let you into games with them it is a great environment for practice. But here in 2015 I have way less time that I can spend in front of a computer for health reasons (nearly all of which is taken up by my day jerb), so opportunities for online practice are somewhat limited :).

But hey, that’s OK with me. The real issue here is that this expac is over a month late now.