E. Kim Appreciation Thread

Well the one game I got in was too quick to really mean much. First turn hammer HQ behind Pop up for 4 points. Few turns later drop Yog and get another 3pointer from HQ. Spent too much money, went too broke, didn’t find any money cards. Opponent was Cybernetics Div. with Punitive.

Wait, if you got 4 points on turn one, then got another 3 pointer, wouldn’t you have won?

Yea I won, but that was really a luck win. If that last point didn’t come in I was both broke and without breakers. Opponent had a Melange behind 2 ice, easily nothing I could’ve ran through. His bad call was not shoring up HQ after those 4 points.

Yeah, If you’re on plan punitive murder with a 3 pointer in hand (and the CD -handsize), giving Kim reasonable access to HQ is a bad idea.

Went 4-1 with this list at Tacoma regionals.
Rolling Thunder

Edward Kim: Humanity’s Hammer

Event (10)
3x Career Fair •••
1x Déjà Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
1x Archives Interface
1x Clone Chip ••
2x Grimoire
2x Net-Ready Eyes ••••

Resource (13)
3x Daily Casts
3x Earthrise Hotel
2x Kati Jones
3x Liberated Account
2x Scrubber

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder
2x Mimic
2x Yog.0

Program (10)
2x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
2x Medium
2x Parasite
2x Self-modifying Code ••••• •

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Chrome City

Loss was to HB upgrades, including corporate troubleshooter (which sure threw me off).

Wins were 2xRP(one packing shutdown), 1xHB, and Tennin Never Advance (likely a descendant of this deck - same pilot, same style).

Overall, was solid, if requiring a certain bloody minded aggression. Second Scrubber was also golden.

Worth mentioning that my performance versus the three Jinteki Glacier decks might be in part due to a ridiculous Psi record - I think I lost one runner side all day. The Shutdown RP matchup was dicy for a bit, but then I was able to A) force him to use his Jackson to save the Shutdowns from archives interface followed by b) trash them by hammering R&D (while walking away with 4 points).

HB is not a good matchup, although it certainly did alright. I blame the loss as much on some bad decisions on my part as matchup problems.

Archives Interface? Sounds like a bad version of MemStrips.

5 Likes

There’s no such thing!

1 Like

Has anyone played around with Gang Sign and HQI with Ed Kim? It seems strong if you have a HQI and Gang Sign early game, that every time you or the corp score you can access multiple cards in hand and trash 1 operation plus trash any assets or upgrades you can afford, including scoring more agendas.

3 Likes

If you score (say, from a remote) then Gang Sign doesn’t trigger; it’s only off of corp scores.

fair enough. but those two cards in play means the corp cant score with anything valuable in hand
right?

Yup, it’s definitely strong anti-scoring pressure, especially out of Ed. We’re talking about it in the Leela thread for similar reasons, since it could result in chaining bounces.

1 Like

It’s always an influence problem.

Nerve agent?

I feel like putting one into my Kim deck. That additional pressure.

I haven’t played Kim so I’m asking more as an outsider, but what’s his usual lose condition? Is it generally people rushing early agendas out before he gets his breakers in hand? Or does he lose an econ war? If it’s the second, I don’t know that Gang Sign would be as good an add as, say, another econ card, since smashing out an operation from HQ isn’t going to slow them down much and they’ll be able to regulate HQ’s contents to avoid you hitting an agenda if they’re ahead on the econ race and controlling you through taxing ICE.

That said, if you’re more losing to rush, then it would be super clutch to stop them from trying to score while they’re holding crucial econ operations and agendas in hand. Forcing them to slow down could give you the time to build up.

Kim’s issues feel like Whizzard’s issue, which is partly the Anarch issue of too many toys in a messy toybox. I think slowing them down sounds like the right way to go about it. Course the problem is getting these other solutions out early and then having other solutions for the speed issue moving forward.

I would say that since Kim’s ability is so access-dependant that his lose condition revolves around failing to get access to centrals early, since he failed to destabilize the corp.

If a corp decks win condition does not revolve around an operation combo then you could also say Kim loses the mid-late game as well seeing as any other anarch would have done.

He is so much more dependant on rnd accesses than any other runner. Any “perfect” Kim deck would hammer hq for access early then max out rnd accesses after. The switch would happen about as early as turn 3 If you could I reckon.

I wasn’t referring to what makes Edward Kim feel like he’s not pulling his weight, but what do Kim players identify as The Reason They Lost when they lose. For example, my Leela deck usually loses to being too aggressive against kill decks, or getting choked out economically against glacier. I wouldn’t identify not getting high quality bounces as a loss condition since Leela is just one of the cards in my deck.

Kim can’t lose because he didn’t trash cards in HQ because trashing cards in HQ is a means to a means to an end: trash cards to disrupt corp operation plans to… X. X I assume is slow the corp down enough that Kim has a chance to set up Anarch shenanagins, but I don’t play him so I couldn’t say for sure.

2 Likes

That is the essence of what I am saying. We’re talking Edward in particular so if he is not disruptive early his lose condition ends up being no different than any other anarch. So if we’re attempting to identify something specific to him I offer my points above.

2 Likes

Still haven’t given up on Eddie. Trying out something different; There’s no arguing that Kim’s ability can be duplicated by Imp in most of the situations where you really need it. But vice versa, Kim’s ability extends the duration your Imps stay in play. I’m trying to see if Progenitor/Imp/VBG has any legs. Instead of HQ multiaccess, I’m making sure that I can trash whatever card I access, and against assets, clicking VBG is basically clicking for as many credits as the trash cost of whatever you need gone.

Forever Imp

Edward Kim: Humanity’s Hammer

Event (11)
3x Career Fair •••
1x Déjà Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
1x Knifed
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
1x Clone Chip ••
2x Desperado ••••• •
2x Net-Ready Eyes ••••