E. Kim Appreciation Thread

Your Nerve Agent hate is funny, but I can relate. With Grimoire, however, it’s really a powerful card. An early HQ lockdown really alters the narrative of a game.

And, if you’re still splashing Legworks in Anarch after the post-Clot FA apocylpse, you’re crazy.

We’re getting a bit off topic, but I’ll respectfully disagree. I don’t run Legwork for NEH; I run Legwork because Agendas will be lurking in HQ until the end of time, as I see it. I have found Legwork to be incredibly strong versus nearly every Corp, especially Blue Sun. It’s even better in Kim because those operations you find are no longer whiffs. Trashing a Celebrity Gift might be even better than stealing an NAPD, sometimes.

Also a great option with Incubator.

Yes, happy to agree to disagree. I would reassert that -2 Legwork and +2 Clone Chips, and a Nerve Agent will get you more accesses.

Legwork’s advantage over nerve agent and a more consistent rig is a more powerful early access.

1 Like

that logic only applies on one run. Keyhole isn’t a “one run” card, it function best when you’re capable of setting up multiple hits. Medium is the superior “one run” card.

When you use Keyhole to take away ICE as an anarch it typically is a legitimate denial strategy because so often you’re packing parasites and perhaps the cutlery stuff will be legit too. I mean…you don’t zap enigma if you know you can put a yog on the table or a quandry if you’re using eater, but you get the drift.

How many Keyhole runs do you expect to do in a course of a game?

Anyone still testing Edward Kim? Imp could serve a similar purpose before on trashing operations, but Wanton Destruction just makes Kim pretty underwhelming at the moment. Now I wish he was a criminal instead of anarch so he can have all the run economy and not play like a gimped anarch trying to make use of his ability.

I’m still trying to test him, while his ability is so very satisfying! He doesn’t feel like the usual anarch, which may be the route to go or maybe not. For my list at least he feels like a shaper in the fact of trying to rig build. I’m trying to make runs as efficient as possible to use his ability every turn (after your set up)

1 Like

He probably feels underwhelming because of how strong Keyhole + Eater is when not teched against, which is a strategy with serious antisynergy with MC Hammer. He just wants to old-school Medium- and NA-dig your ass, for which he actually needs a rig.

Once the Wanton Keyhole Gluttony subsides, I suspect he’ll turn out just fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, Medium / Nerve for him is more like E = MC Hammer. :slight_smile:
Sneakdoor Beta too, I guess.

He’s a central focused guy, just written on the ID. So Datasuckers would help aswell.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like you could make a big rig deck for Kim, and the deck would become better if you just swapped him for Whizzard with some wantons.

1 Like

I have played a couple of games with Eddy. Against MN with Psychographics and a BWBI space ICE fortress. My list used to be a Whizzard list, it has influence on 2 desperado, 2 clone chip, 1 special order, 1 Atman (which might change now I can run Spooned to get rid of Lotus Field). Sneakdoor is an interesting idea, but I’m not sure I want to play a 1 of. I run Wanton Destruction too, it’s like an influence free legwork.

I think the constant pressure on HQ and R&D is significant. I killed a lot of important operations. I think he’s strong. Yeah, he wants to rig up. I think you have a better game against typical NBN and Weyland, slightly worse against HB and Jinteki is kind of a wash. Though killing Neural EMP against PE is big, and it means that RP can’t hold onto their Celebrity Gift for as long as they usually do.

1 link isn’t nothing either. Makes early face checking against Weyland a lot cheaper.

1 Like

So far he feels like the non-Siphon Whizzard decks we spent so much time playtesting in the last arc. Solid without being especially threatening unless you happen to be a deck that relies overwhemingly on operations. Fundementally he doesn’t do anything that another ID can’t do with Imp whereas the other two IDs posse unique problems that the corp has to address or lose.

2 Likes

This may have already been covered, but… how about looking at it from the opposite angle? Maybe Ed’s ability is a defensive, not an offensive one. You should be really tricky to flatline, as pretty much everything but double ronin require Ops to do it. He’s the one ID I feel comfortable not running any Plascretes.

Maybe generalize the concept further by saying we aim to be disabling secondary corp strategies? Whether flatline or the various forms of fast-advance, they all seem to rely on ops. Then, you don’t aim to be threatening, you aim to have Shaper-esque inevitability by having an efficient rig and disabling “cheap tricks” that would knock you out of the game otherwise?

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ll be running plascretes in anything that isn’t going full on tag-me. I’ve Had Worse is a big, big deal for the corp considering they have to go all in on landing the tag (less so with Midseaons I guess). MaxX also has money from doubles. The other IDs have Imp. I’m not sure more is needed.

Do you not find that needing to stay on 5 cards every single turn you run is a fairly significant tempo hit? I still don’t fancy IHW as scorched earth protection myself. I don’t doubt that it’ll save many runner lives. I think it will also kill a similar number of runners.

3 Likes

But it isn’t every single turn. It’s turn in which you need to run, they have more money than you and which their hand is a state where double scorch is a reasonable possiblity. You have a lot of tools to control those circumstances. Sure, Kim does it better, which is one of Kim’s advantages.

1 Like

What about Wanton, Hemorage, Nerve Agent, Singularity, Demorun, Breakers, Triple Woman in Red Dress + money ?

Can’t touch this :smiley:

You can generate BP if you want too. MaxX is awesome - about as good as Wyldside and Rachel Beckman, but I don’t like arguments that start I can be as good as another ID if I find and install this card. You can say Kate is just a Shaper with Inside Man/Cybsoft Macrodrive. Whizzard is just an anarch with Scrubber. Imp is both really good, and really limited.

I do agree that Ed will be a blank ID in a small handful of games, but I think that he’ll be devastating in enough other games that its worth the trade off. I also think Whizzard is in a pretty good place too. All the Anarch runners have good ID powers, O&C has given us a handful more tools to improve consistency. Also, not needing to spend influence on Legwork puts you in a really good spot for influence.

You can now comfortably build an anarch deck with 0 inf that isn’t absolutely abhorrent.

4 Likes

I think, obviously, the key is multiaccess. You need it in spades. Whether it be single runs a lot with security testing and desperado to build tokens then run in again, or high economy, high savings (supplier?) with HQ and RDI, making 1 run per turn or every other turn.

You need to tune the econ package appropriately, and run the right kind of breakers for your strategy. The real downside though is that if you run Reina (the worst anarch), or whizzard, and add demo run, its roughly as good when paired with multi-access. I feel like he definitely should have been a 17 inf.

That said, I’m still goofing off with him using a 3 DJ, 3 Lucky Find, 3 daily casts, 3 data folding econ package with 2 spinal running mimic, sage, overmind and memstrips (2 NA, 2 Medium). Its hilarious, but the consistency isn’t there, and my fuck is Sage some kind of expensive. I think the build is just straight better with Quetzal and E3…

1 Like