Flashpoint Cycle!

Looks like fairchild and toth are new god-ice like susanoo.

2 Likes

I think Thoth is pretty good - much like Data Ward the synergy with Bandwidth is sweet ;). Maybe it should be conceptualized as Ward #4 in yellow glacier, something horrible to put behind Bandwidth, Raven, and IP Block.

Also a beefy ice that will hard tag the runner (rather than the bounce that Raven allows) for only 3 inf sounds like Blue Sun would be interested in.

Slightly worried someone’s going to take Curfew and make a go at Cybernetics Division again.

Because that ID terrifies me.

8 Likes

Curfew does mean you only it and scored 3 self destruct chips to enable a lethal neural EMP otu of Cybernetics Division. Frees up a lot of space in the deck for economy and ice that used to be wasted on brain damage stuff…

1 Like

What people need to realize is scoring 3 3/2 agendas should win you the game, not enable jank by scoring 3 3/1.

2 Likes

Spoken like a true Harmony Medtech CEO. Away! To the jankmobile!

6 Likes

Damon definitely seems to have implemented a step change in the power of big ice. Nothing particularly crazy, but there are some very interesting cards. I hope they’ll complete the cycle of region upgrades.

2 Likes

I hope we get to see expose and derez effects relevant. Exposing ice actually matters if it’'s horrible to run into, and derez matters if it costs a lot.

1 Like

Somewhere, in a high-backed chair, Dan pets a grumpy-looking cat and smiles.

5 Likes

The sheer tragedy that Jinteki and Weyland got their ‘god ice’ in their big boxes. No need to give them ‘power level updated’ god ice, aka Thoth and Fairchild, because Susanoo and Orion never rotate. Right?

Isn’t Weyland getting a big box soon?

I guess it will have to have some pretty gutsy cards to make people happy. The spoilers have me excited for Weyland. But I wouldn’t expect to be pretty psyched to play Weyland this cycle.

Friends In High Places seems like it would be an interesting card in Sleeperhold style decks, especially since installing something like AAL is basically giving you ‘pseudo-clicks’ to use afterwards.

Four is Flatline isn’t keeping up to date any more. Does anyone know a place where all the recent spoilers are collected together and arranged for easy viewing?

It’s pretty up to date, I think he just doesn’t want to post non-English card pics or text.

4 Likes

But destruction will always be better than derez (and its currently costed the same) unless there are downsides to destruction or upsides to derez.

They realized this in MTG when they found tap effects were underpowered and so made ‘tap and doesn’t untap next turn’. Maybe Damon should look into ‘derez and can’t rez until [some time later]’ as an effect.

2 Likes

The idea behing the current state of balance is that Derezzing is more efficient against larger ICE, whereas destruction is better against stuff like vanilla. Unfortunately this is now only true for the very biggest ICE which doesn’t get played much anyway as it isn’t efficient enough and doesn’t help vs. cheese (DDoS, blackmail).

Especially since it’s actually 1 influence, not the 2 that it was posted as. That’s a pretty good card for people playing asset IDs in this Whizzard-clogged meta.

Buffing asset spam?

Rambo

Whizzard isn’t what’s cancerous here. Whizzard, as an ID, only exists to keep asset spam in check. When assets weren’t good, no one had great success with him. Asset spam has run amok competitively, which is the core problem. Making that archetype stronger is a mind-boggling design choice.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree wrt how wrong it is to buff asset spam, but that problem goes both ways. Whizz is played everywhere because asset spam is relatively strong, but asset spam/eoi are only played so so much because there’s no other reliable way for a corp to win anymore (glacier’s pretty dead, rush is in a bad place, kill isn’t in an amazing place except as an incidental to other tagging shenanigans, shell game doesn’t exactly love a meta full of siphon and feedback filter nexus decks).

The two design directions perpetuate one other, not just in one direction

1 Like

It’s also worth mentioning that it’s a great counter to ICE destruction, which is quite popular.