Flashpoint Cycle!

What are everyone’s thoughts on Baba in Kit? Since you can use the breaker that’s on Baba, Kit helps with the drawback of a big rig slowing you down. Houdini + stealth seems like a great way to start face checking stuff, and Baba lets her use dirt cheap breakers but apply that same strength boost to all 3 breakers. Baba, Faerie, Inti, Houdini. This is half her influence though, which means very few toys. Clot means no Parasucker, but Escher or Sac Con lets us move Swordsman or break without loosing Faerie as needed, and Clot likes Sac Con anyways. 6 MU rig of Baba/Inti/Faerie/Houdini, Cloak, Clot. Net Mercer as the second stealth cred.

Professor seems like a really good place for this still, since you get Clot, Parasucker, Medium, Clone Chips, Imp, D4v1d (maybe less relevant with the sort of rig this lets him use), and probably Nerve Agent so he has HQ pressure.

Note that, irrespective of the faction, enforcing loyalty can kill Baba Yaga. Sac cons (or other program destruction prevention that I might not be thinking of) is not really optional if your game plan is Baba Yaga, IMO.

I think you might use Mimic instead of Faerie if in kit. Losing the 1c boost and 0c break from Faerie is not great, but dedicating half your influence to this might be a bit much. Mimic can also be used stand-alone early game, whereas Faerie is pretty much spent after the first go. Also gives you an answer to swordsman.

2 Likes

This was pretty much my plan. See attached list. https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/822573
Bishop is obviously Baba Yaga. I probably won’t be able to test it till the pack comes out though, and I have to admit that I’m intrigued by trying it in criminal. I will say that I think Sac Con is probably essential due to how hard this dies to Batty (and Enforcing Loyalty and the upcoming Hunter Seeker).

1 Like

IMO runners can already setup incredibly efficient/oppressive rigs. This is just another option. While I think Baba is a cool card I don’t see it being better than stealth or other more niche rig options. Runners can absolutely smash through ICE already; that’s why everyone is playing NBN.

3 Likes

Basically yeah. I’ve been trying to make an old-school RP deck work and it’s just…[le sigh]

Val with first round Temujin, Blackmail and D4V1D is just dispiritingly common. Or any of the other ways to waltz through $15 of ice like it’s so much wet noodle.

1 Like

I really hate the sound of losing the free break and 1c boost, but Mimic might be the better fit. Deals with Swordsman, and is the best breaker vs Data Raven. NRE is probably good anyways, and that makes Ichi 1.0 not so bad. The more I think about what 2 influence can do, the better Mimic sounds. Thanks!

Sac Cons doesn’t prevent Will 'o the wisp to trigger.

If babayaga sees enough play, corp could easily tech against it. =/

5c for a hoster seems a lot though. I really don’t know if anything but shaper can play this.

I don’t think Baba will be teched against. There are too many options for a runner that wants to make ice irrelevant, the correct way to counter that is not to tech against any specific options, but to not rely on ice (asset spam, EoI shenanigans, kill combos etc etc etc)

6 Likes

i also don’t think it’ll be that prevalent in high level play.

i mean it’s a fun card, don’t get me wrong. i could see it actually being a pretty decent option for Shapder and Adam/Sunny as well, but i highly doubt it’ll be considered a threat that anyone will seriously feel the need to tech against it, let alone specifically with things like Will-o-wisp, Aggressive Secretary, etc. instead of like what you suggested, which is good outside of a Yaga matchup

Have you tried Clone Retirement?

Probably not worth it. You get a much better game vs Val, but it does nothing vs Smoke, Whizzard or Andromeda.

Well, if you run a 2/1 in glacier, you may as well toss in an Archer or two as well. For RP that level of face-check penalty on a central, or tax on a scoring remote can be quite powerful. Smoke and Whizzard may be more bothered by an Archer than Andy, but it is certainly not nothing.

In addition, stalling on 6 points can happen, and is no fun. Having an out to FA the win is also pretty strong.

The second half of Martial Law spoilers.

Very interesting.

3 Likes

Fairchild is pretty good. It’ll be tough to spoon at any rate.

So many fairchildren this is gonna get confusing. They should have named this one Most Fair Child

1 Like

At least they all have easily distinguishable card art, so that you can see which is which on the board at a glance.

18 Likes

Fairchild is simply a better Wotan.Every Foodcoat,even Jeeves HB would play this,it’s simply really good.
I was hoping that Manta Grid and Nihongai City Grid would be better,like some replacement for Ash and Caprice to make Glacier viable again,so I’m a little frustrated but it’s alright,they are interesting.
Thoth is a expensive and worse Data Raven,but I can see it does have some potential.
New Jinteki ICE is gonna be the best 0-cost ICE they got.
Speaking of 4/2 agenda and Curfew,they are not actually really good so I’m not really interested in them.
Anyway new spoilers are quite interesting and I’m looking forward to playing with them,

1 Like

THIS BABY’S OFF THE CHARTS

8 Likes

Yep. It’s not a facecheck tax, and is unique, but certainly every hb deck is thinking about slotting one.