Flashpoint Cycle!

Leprechaun and Mirror. Also, the idea would be to only host what you need. Switch and Houdini are mostly just Strength increasers (Baba + Switch + Yog/Faerie gets you through any 7 Str Codegate or Sentry for 1 Stealth).

That said, I fully admit it is hot jank. And you’re probably right – There is a deck here, but not in Prof. Thanks for crushing our dreams. Lol.

1 Like

I think you’d only ever want to play this in a deck where you also have Datasuckers. Ichi 1.0 becomes much more reasonable then, especially since you’re probably just letting the Trace sub fire. Then it’s 4 credits and a Datasucker, (3 to pump/break Trash subs, and most likely 1 for the trace), which is only 1 more credit than a Mimic under the same circumstances. If it’s the kinda deck where you might end up throwing away breakers often, this is probably a fine program to run.

I’d hate to have to break anything large with it, though. You’re right; Archer is kinda a nightmare.

1 Like

If I’m already running Datasuckers, why am I not just running Mimic?

On The Run is just…awful? What is it good for?

There is a small consolation, in that you can smc/clone chip the AI out and play the breakers onto it.

It’s not… like… crazy good. But it is way, way more playable than Yogosaurus as it is 2-4 programs.

It’s gonna enable Rolodex combo decks :smirk:

1 Like

EDIT: i just saw the card, and it seems it can’t host AI breakers?
that puts a damper on a lot of my analysis, so i’ll edit accordingly <_<

Baby Yaga paid abilities you’d even remotely want to consider (and the cost associated with them)

0c
0c: break sentry subroutine (Faerie) probably the best card for this, hands down.
2c: +1 str for the remainder of this run (Inti) possibly worth it considering that Baby Yaga becomes your main breaker and Inti’s low install cost; plus cheapest way to get barrier-breaking ability

1c
1c: +3 str (Refractor) Switchblade gives more str, but Refractor has a lower install cost; also tied for cheapest code gate-breaker
1c: +2 str (Sharpshooter) at only 1 influence and 1 install cost, i’d highly recommend considering this one

2c
2c: break up to 3 barrier subroutines (Breach)
2c: +4 str (Breach)
2c: +4 str for the end of the run; must use at least 1 stealth credit (Houdini)

3c
3c: +2 str, break up to 2 code gate subs, if able (Black Orchestra)
2c: break all barrier subroutines (GS Sherman M3); also 2c:+3 str
1c: break up to 2 sentry subroutines (Mongoose)
1c: break any number of sentry subroutines; must use stealth credit (Switchblade)
1c: +7 str; must use stealth credit (Switchblade)

4c
1c: break 1 barrier subroutine (or break up to 3 if you spent at least 1 credit from a stealth card) (BlacKat)
1c: +1 str for the remainder of this run (Gordian Blade)
3c: +5 str (Ninja)
x: +x str; break up to x barrier subs (Paperclip)
2c: break all code gate subroutines (GS Striker M2); also 2c: +3 str

5c
2c: +4 str (Golden)
0c: break code gate subroutine (Yog.0)
2c: break all sentry subroutines (GS Shrike M1); also 2c:+3 str

8c
1c: break any number of barrier subroutines (Morning Star)

some thoughts:

the higher-cost stuff likely isn’t going to be very viable; why go for Golden’s 2 for +4 when you can go for Sharpshooter’s 1 for +2 at -4 the initial cost? but it is interesting to have a pumpable Morningstar, but having to pump it to match 5 str and then go over for times you’d need str that high, it’s probably not worth it much anyway

standouts to me are Sharpshooter, Faerie, Yog.0, and Breach
if running stealth, Switchblade, BlacKat, Refractor/Houdini, seems really strong and plays into what players need to do with Baby Yaga to get the most out of it:
combine the best paid abilities from multiple breakers but probably don’t try to rely on having all of them out to be useful: keeping a fluid build that just gets better as you add more programs (rather than simply becomes usable at all once you add everything) is likely the best way to go

for example, once you get Switchblade hosted, its boosting ability is the only one you’ll need. BlacKat isn’t really worth it without Refractor’s/Houdini’s or Switchblade’s boosting ability, but once it’s hosted, you can break a lot of barrier subs cheaply
it might rely too much on stealth though, but Net Mercur is a thing. it’s also a lot of influence, but could be worth it

Inti will be the cheapest barrier-breaking program ability
Faerie hands down the best for this since Baby Yaga simply turns Faerie into a non-trashable Faerie
Zu.13 and Refractor are the cheapest-to-install code gate breakers and have decent str-boosting abilities depending on stealth or not stealth

a lot of this analysis ignores influence costs. i think Dagger replaces Switchblade for some Shaper builds, for example (or 1 of each, etc.), many non-Shapers won’t be running Brahman, i don’t see many Anarch running Faerie with the lack of tutors

people have mentioned Professor benefiting from this program a lot, but i also think that Sunny and Adam benefit a lot as well (possibly Apex, if you can get around the MU issues with Endless Hunger or might want to skip it altogether; plus there’s a problem with Apocalypse completely destroying all of your hard work)
anyway, imagine Sunny hosting her breakers and then throwing on a Sharpshooter or something, or replacing Shrike or Striker with Yog.0 and/or Faerie, and just using Sherman from her own breakers
Adam has Always be Running and things like Overmind and such to get him going until he can assemble the pieces and start relying on Baby Yaga; influence will be an issue, so i suspect a lot of things like Inti, Sharpshooter, Yog.0/Zu.13, but might consider something else to help out Faerie with its high install cost

also back to the Professor; other Shapers can at least include multiple copies of Baby Yaga, so i’m not sure if he’s the best, but if your plan is stealth with BlacKat and Switchblade for instance, it might save you a lot of influence where you’re likely running one copy of everything anyway

if you can get some power counters onto Baby Yaga (don’t think there’s a way currently to do that though), you can make use of Rex/Cerberus/Lady

hilariously, you can host Deus X, Sharpshooter, Shiv, Crowbar, and Spike, and trash Baby Yaga for a very expensive discount on breaking lots of subroutines or preventing net damage! (don’t do this; it’s a bad idea)

and poor Aurora, Leviathan, and Peacock still can’t catch a break. 2c:+3 str and 3c:+5 are decent paid abilities, but Gingerbread gives Aurora’s and Peacock’s for cheaper along with an interesting break Tracer subroutine paid ability, Breach beats all of them, and Ninja gives Leviathan’s paid ability for 4c install instead of 6

also didn’t see anyone try to translate this one:
(did the best i could; seems the French word for run is piracy, and make a run translate to ‘launch a hack’)

0 cost, 1 influence - Shaper

Cold Reading

Event: run - stealth

Make a run and place 4c on this card, which you can only use during this run.

When this run ends, trash 1 program (can not be prevented) that you used during this run.

His ability to analyze and adapt during a piracy borders on the paranormal.

Translation for Cold Reading is in the top comment on Reddit (along with others). It agrees with your translation.

I like this comprehensive analysis, but I think Houdini is a noteworthy omission. 2c for +4 strength for the remainder of the run on an AI breaker is one of the more enticing reasons to run it, IMO (as I mentioned above with my Faerie + Inti + Houdini proposal).

Related note, Faerie also provides a 1c for 1str ability.

2 Likes

ah thanks, i didn’t see it

yeah, i took it out after adding Breach cos i’m dumb and glossed over the ‘until end of run ability’ and thought ‘2 for +4? and doesn’t require a stealth credit? only Shapers will use Houdini’

thanks for the input, editing back in. i do agree that it’s really nice, and could easily replace Refractor in stealth builds since the strength won’t just be for code gates

It’s kinda like a stealth Stimhack, or a Stealthhack, if you will. The downside (program trashing) is either better or worse, depending program recursion in the deck. Either way, I think it’s kinda neat, and might see play occasionally.

1 Like

yeah especially with programs like Refractor that install for 1, even when it rotates out, we’ll have Houdini

Inti could be decent fodder for it as well (and not a bad breaker with all the Vanillas, Wraparounds, and Resistors)

could be decent in a stealth Kit, since you’d like have multiple Refractor/Houdini anyway, so it doesn’t even matter about your recursion. just install that second copy

like Stimhack, i doubt i’d use more than one in a deck, but it’s a decent surprise run at the end of a turn when the corp thinks they’re safe and you’ve run out of normal stealth credits. use Cold Reading to finish running on all three centrals, then follow up with an Encore or a trolly Apocalypse (since you’re discarding everything anyway, it doesn’t really matter that Cold Reading made you trash a breaker, does it?)

i also think you have to make use of the stealth credits. otherwise you’re just better off with Stimhack, and i’d say 1 brain damage is probably an easier swallow than trashing a program (except for Apocalypse of course)

As far as a shaper build I feel that the extra inf from Faerie is almost to much to spend, and feel that a Mongoose + Inti + Houdini would allow for a dynamic setup that could power thru glaciers, but should not be at a complete loss to faster decks. My initial deck idea unashamedly pilfered from CodeMarvelous here (bishop being Baba Yaga as others have used).

I feel like Baba Yaga might be at odds with CodeMarvelous’ DotW. He’s aiming for a highly-aggressive tempo build. Any deck that imports a 5 cost card that does nothing until things are installed on it is inherently not that. You want a way to deal with fires while attempting to get yourself setup.

This is why I went for Professor Cacheshop; with Reaver coming out, Aesop’s can cover both a draw engine and sustained credits. Professor also gives you access to the tools to deal with early game problems. You can import enough quality breakers that it’s okay if not everything gets installed on Baba; install a Code Gate breaker early to deal with the problem, as you still have more in the deck. Install an Imp early to deal with the asset spam. Install misdirection to deal with the impending HHN. Programs have outlived their usefulness? Sell them to Aesops for 3 bucks (and a card with Reaver).

If you did want to follow CM’s deck, I would find room for Sacrificial Constructs. Program trashing is becoming relevant, and one late game trash on Baba could seal the game. But I think (if you’re adverse to big P), Hayley or Kate might be a better fit for Baba.

1 Like

This is where I feel that we disagree about the best use of the card. After thinking I don’t think that I explained myself well. Baba Yaba allows for a normally aggressive low tempo-hit based breakers suite (like most we have been discussing) to turn into a real big rig style suite if necessary. For the DotWs case I feel its use is against decks that the normally agile setup would be too inefficient. It is not something to install every game, but as an out to glacier and mid-range where traditionally tempo decks can have issues after they stabilize.

For that matter I agree that the deck could use a sac con, but I felt that a scavenge to help with that transition might be more important.

Wow. The Sharpshooter 1 for 2 Boost is a good find. So… We’re looking at the most efficient non-Stealth setup being Baba + Faerie + Yog + Inti + Sharpshooter. That gives us:

Install 11c / 5 MU / 5 Clicks (assuming no SMC)
Barriers - 1c Break / 1c Boost +2
Code Gates - 0c Break / 1c Boost +2
Sentries - 0c Break / 1c Boost +2

The question would be how quickly we can assemble this monster, and what economy / draw / multiaccess plans are going to fit into the deck? Also, what ID seems like the most viable here? Pretty sure the faction has to be Shaper.

Maybe a Flight of Faeries deck in Smoke, with Inti and Houdini, and Baba as backup vs glacier. High card draw and cheap breakers to get set up fast, and the deck naturally runs sac cons.

I think Baba Yaga can work in Crim with Faerie, Yog and Breach. All the pieces are searchable with Special Order and you get quite nice boost abilities (2c -> +4str and 1c -> +1str for otherwise awkward 1 and 5 str ice). Also don’t forget you can use your Baba Yaga hosted breakers regularly as well, so no need to pump for code gates that Yog can break normally and you get to start from 2str for central barriers. It’s only 4 inf too, with Temujin etc I think Crim has the cash to install and use this type of breaker quite nicely. With special orders the setup isn’t necessarily horribly slow either (you can run 3x Faerie and maybe 2x Breach so there’s less need to order for those). The only thing I can think of that can’t be broken with this is Turing on remote, but that seems to be the problem for most/any Crim’s Baba Yaga. Andy of course helps immensely with the setup speed, as always.

I think the ultimate jank is Switchblade, Morning Star, Faerie and Yog. Most ice costs 1 stealth credit with barriers costing 1regular cred for str 5 and below, 1+1 up to 7 and Curtain wall can take 1stealth+4regular or 2s+1r (though can’t use the hardware stealths on Baba Yaga!!). Ghost runner/Smoke/Net Mercus should provide enough regardless. The install costs are astronomical obviously, hence the jank. :slight_smile:

One must also pack Sac Cons or some other way of keeping the thing alive; if Baba Yaga becomes A Thing (or even an occasional splash) then program destruction will spike in value. At least 5 Tags is a big ask for Best Defense; will my dear old favourite the Aggressive Secretary come back to the fore? Every time I play a Nexus deck I think "Hey, she could do work here.

1 Like