[Full Spoiler] The Spaces Between

if your next click is worth 2 credits, sure, not always the case though. also comes with the opportunity cost of not having a desperado on other turns

[quote=“SamRS, post:41, topic:1652”]
if your next click is worth 2 credits
[/quote] With three steps it is always worth at least 2 credits.

if you make another run you’re breaking even with desperado on clicks/credits

1 Like

The “best” use of Three Steps is to make Three Runs that turn, or spend every other click running. Pretty obviously what it’s meant for.

Doppelganger: (4*2)+2=10 credits gained, including a use of Security Testing.

Desperado: (3*3)=2=11 credits gained, including a use of Security Testing.

Desperado gives you more money if you’re running more than once.

The big use for it in a Doppelganger deck is for the decks that run Quest Completed, I think, to subsidize their runs. TSA, Run 1, Doppel Run for 2, Run 3, QC. Nice and easy.

1 Like

Well to me it seems like a draw:

1 click to run Doppelgänger is better
2 clicks its a draw
3 desp is better.

I feel i’m more likely to run once than three times in which case Doppelgänger is better.

Also if you have double sec testing down Doppelgänger is amazing for a one click investment.

Against the new hotness, NEH, this is very strong.

You are of course right if i play 3 steps then im likely running 3 times. I guess i have digressed into a dopple vs desp argument here. I feel Doppelgänger has such fantastic potential.

It really does. It’s just got to compete with the most broadly powerful console ability in the game. It’s hard to incentivize Doppelganger in ways that don’t benefit Desperado as well.

I don’t think a single click is likely, but two clicks certainly is. As I said, would work well for Doppelganger+Quest Completed.

(You’re also right about clicks, I went from “one run” to “all other clicks running” without looking at the clickless run. I don’t think it’s worth it for just one run, but with 2-3 it might be with Doppel, with the click saved.)

What about All Nighter? (I kid, I kid)

Does Enhanced Login Protocol combo with Heinlein Grid? I’d presume you’d need to rez Heinlein Grid before they declared their run even if it does work as such.

1 Like

I don’t think it does. They have to spend the extra click to initiate the run in the first place; it’s not being spent during the run.

3 Likes

Turns out this one’s right on top of us: The Spaces Between has a street date of August 14th, the same as the first day of US Nationals. Last year Opening Moves was at GenCon and they specifically updated the tournament rules to state it wouldn’t be legal for that tournament; I’m expecting something similar for Spaces Between, but just in case they don’t (after all, Opening Moves was released something like two months early if you bought it at GenCon; this is the actual release date of TSB), I guess it’s a good time to figure out your thoughts on Currents.

3 Likes

I can’t find any evidence that this is true about last years gencon. There was a BGG tournament report from the winner where he mentions offhandedly that Jackson Howard would go straight into his corp deck.

If it is legal for the event, it would be complete bullshit, because everyone I know would have been playtesting noise for the event.

Here’s last year’s tournament rules (which I still had a copy of, thanks Dropbox), which were a last-minute update and state that cards are legal upon their release in North America, except that Opening Moves would not be legal at GenCon 2013.

For people who don’t want to download a whole PDF:

All Android: Netrunner cards produced by Fantasy Flight Games are legal for sanctioned play (unless banned). No other cards or proxy cards are permitted. In North America, cards are legal upon their release. Competitors outside North America should check with their TO to determine which cards are tournament legal. Exception: Opening Moves will not be legal for the North American Championship tournament at Gen Con 2013.

The most recent version of this (version 1.5, updated 7/16/14) has the same wording except without the Opening Moves exception for obvious reasons. Because of the way this is worded, if they don’t add an exception to disallow The Spaces Between, then it’s more than likely legal for Nationals because its release is that Thursday.

2 Likes

Oh good, I just misread your post, I thought you were saying OM was legal.

Im going to continue operating under the assumption that no one will be using new cards at gencon.

If ffg wants to continue dickslaping me , and all of the other serious players with their bullshit, so be it - im definitely not buying TSIB… my entry fee is high enough.

For those of you keeping score at home, we are up to $114 to play in this event.

The Foundry will have an interesting impact on the expected values of runs. The chance to find an agenda during R&D runs is increased when the corp rezzed ICE, while a run on HQ will result in the opposite.
Another important bit about the ability is the built in defense against Indexing. You just have to keep one unrezzed ICE in front of R&D and a single Indexing is basically worthless. However, the runner certainly has new avenues of attack against this id. Just go after the servers except R&D and force the corp to rez ICE and suddenly a single Maker’s Eye can become incredibly powerful because the corp did the work for you, at least to a degree.

Overall I like The Foundry a lot, since it offers defenses against typical attack vectors of the runner, e.g. Indexing and Legwork. In addition the consistency to draw extra ICE is going to be very powerful against Parasite recursion. All that is left is multi access to R&D and Account Siphon, which you would have to address anyway.

[Edit: fixed a few spelling errors]

3 Likes

And that’s if you either live in Indy or go with the “sleep in your car/on the street” lodging plan…

If this shit is gonna be tourney legal, they had better have a big freaking stack of them (like, at least 128 tall) at the site…

I will have my prebuilt all-but-Cache Noise deck sleeved and ready to roll. Then I guess I just flip a coin whether to play that or a deck I’ve actually tested. :wink:

Seems to me you gentlemen are panicking baselessly. I’m going to go ahead and say that I firmly believe a new FAQ/Tournament Rules will come out before then, which will say that TSIB won’t be legal at GenCon.

5 Likes

From Ian Birdsall:

No cards that are released at #gencon2014 are legal in #ffg N.American Championships. This includes #androidnetrunner “The Spaces Between”.

Guess I’ll stop testing my Stronger Together/Heinlein Grid deck. :laughing:

I’m wondering if Strongbox’d be playable with Heinlein grid. It’s nice to provide another way in which their stealing an Agenda bankrupts them, but… much of the time in remotes they’re spending most of their cash anyway. Perhaps over R&D, make random accesses more painful for them? Either way, not sure it’d be worth it, since Strongbox isn’t all that strong usually… though I suppose if you were using Bioroids and click-stealers like Viper and Enigma they might still naturally be running out of clicks even if you don’t see Heinlein.

I had the same idea, but the runner can just trash Heinlein before accessing anything else on the server.

some art

11 Likes