Gagarin Appreciation Thread

The key to gagarin is getting the reversed hit for exactly all their cash, they cannot trash it by clicking for credits. In spark, click for 3 and run and trash. Gagarin requires a whole turn of them being tagged if you can nail 'em on 0. This is further exacerbated by 2 city surveillance. The whole mumba/museum thing makes it all the more interesting, with lots of tutors in EBC and Tech start up. Theres lots of reasons to play it in both.

I guess :smiley: . I’ve played the surveillance deck a lot though, so I’ll probably do something a little different for when I finally make a Gaga deck

I don’t see how bad pub helps against this deck. Trashing lots of assets isn’t an optimal strategy. Control Tour Guides, clear DBS+Museum and the match-up is very even.

The point is that it beat a deck specifically made to counter it. That’s pretty hardcore.

I’m arguing that adding bad pub doesn’t actually help you beat the deck.

If that were the case then there would be no reason to play Gagarin.

1 Like

Spoilers below for the new cards, but they come out the 10th, so its not like they’re super spoilery.

Okay, guys. Do you think that New Construction is worth slots? From testing, the ability sometimes fires, but not super duper often. If it fires a couple times, it’s pretty good, and if you have a Turtleback out (or more than one) it’s pretty darn good. However, as stated, there’s not always shit to install (since, ideally, you’re playing out assets as per normal anyhow). I have never overadvanced it to install and rez an asset out of hand because Gagarin doesn’t really run heavy-rez assets much (most versions don’t run The Root any more). It’s not really worth it to hold an asset in your hand to save for the overadvance unless it’s 3 to rez or more, since clicking for a credit last click gives you the same money to rez it next turn if it costs 2. If you have Mumba Temples out then it you need to have a truly enormous asset for it to be worth overadvance it.

@Jage was saying above that he might take his list and remove an Atlas to go up to 3x Oaktown and 3x New Construction in order to have maximum targets for Mumbad Construction Co, but I’m wary of removing what is probably one of the best agendas for something that almost certainly won’t get full value. I’m thinking that a dedicated FA deck really can’t happen out of Weyland with Mumbad alone, but it might be possible to get your last agenda out with one. This makes me not want to trade out an Atlas for a NC, since 3/2s are easiest to score at most points in the game, and you don’t need tons of Public agendas for the FA if you only really need one at the end.

I have been testing it in the napd slot. Like you say it only kinda half fires a lot of the time, and i dont even play turtles. Napd is strictly better, but then again freeing up 2 influence for another copy of ash is a kinda big deal.

Yeah, for the decks where you want to play Ash, Ash is probably the best card in the deck.

He was playing blackmail. I lost that game, full disclosure, but it was very close.

1 Like

I have a really ugly Gagarin deck that everyone says is no fun to play against, and I get rage quits all the time. Should I post this? Anyone play it and know what in talking about? Should I stop playing this deck?

2 Likes

What is it?

Post it. Frustrating your opponent as corp is generally a good sign.

Did you add the DBSes? ^___^

1 Like

I DID. Totally worth it, can play more 1 ofs and 2 is rather than 3 ofs that way. It’s so gross and unfun if the losing side doesn’t concede. :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright, I’m gonna post the list once I get to Jinteki. It’s so weird, I don’t use netrunnerdb anymore, other than to make decks with no spoiled cards. Which is to say that I don’t make decks on it anymore, rather I use Jinteki’s deck builder pretty much exclusively.

Alrighty, desktop ahoy, decklist ho!

I’m so lame.

Agenda (8)
2 Global Food Initiative ●​●​
1 Government Takeover
2 Oaktown Renovation
3 Project Atlas
Asset (27)
1 Blacklist ●​
1 Corporate Town
2 Daily Business Show ●​●​
1 Docklands Crackdown
3 Hostile Infrastructure ●​●​●​●​●​●​
3 Jackson Howard ●​●​●​
3 Mumba Temple ●​●​●​●​●​●​
3 Museum of History ●​●​●​●​●​●​
3 PAD Campaign
2 Public Support
1 Reversed Accounts ●​
3 Student Loans
1 Tech Startup
ICE (10)
1 Archer
2 Enigma
2 Guard
2 Ice Wall
3 Tour Guide
Operation (6)
3 Interns
3 Power Shutdown
Upgrade (3)
3 Crisium Grid

Clearly this deck doesn’t like Whizzard, but at least he has to pay real money to trash them, like all Gagarin builds. Daily Business Show is indeed great for finding the cards you need easier, and bottoming agendas, though museum that doesn’t really matter much. If you can manage to live without Hostile Infrastructure, you can free up 6 influence and use 3 Encryption Protocol and have room for Kala Ghoda Real TV like I was using in a previous build, and use more Reversed Accounts and less ice to make room for the other cards, but I feel like making it really difficult to trash your cards is even better, though the Whizzard matchup definitely benefited from having 3 of those protocols on the board.

I try and get Docklands crackdown behind either a Tour Guide or a guard reasonably quickly, otherwise playing all the control assets like Student Loans, Reversed Accounts and Blacklist to either give the runner targets to trash and turn your power shutdowns on, or they do what they were intended to do, and make the runner’s life harder. Museum of History is the backbone of this deck, as you’ll want to trash all the cards in your deck to trash the runner’s rig, and you can’t do that without recursion. Yet, you can’t very well protect museum with very much, if any ice, so Hostile Infrastructure will keep them safe until you can afford the runner to try and trash them, by having interns or Jackson, or another in hand. The point of the deck is to create threats the runner has to respond to by running, but agendas aren’t the best way to do this, as you can easily lose off centrals if the runner is trashing your ice or something. You want to play Mumba Temple after Mumba Temple after Daily Business show and let the runner know that you are firmly in control of the game, even with your gear check only ice. Archer and public support are new additions, and even if you never intend of scoring a single point til the runner is bone dry of resources, Public Support is still a high profile target, cause you never know if it’ll turn on an archer, or lead to a nightmare never advance situation. While it technically could if you run into all your Atlases, you only really want to score agendas when they are safe, or if you have to turn off an Employee Strike or something. I run Government Takeover because of the 2 deckslots it saves not having to put more agendas, and because it’s possible to engineer a situation where you score it behind 1 piece of ice. Which is grand.

2 Likes

Why is no one playing Expo Grid? It would seem ideal for Gagarin, do people have bad experiences with it?

Deck slots, mainly. There’s just better things to include. I took Expo out of my deck the moment Mumba Temple came out.

Student Loans is hilarious in Gagarin, right? That shit makes people super unhappy, especially after a Reversed play =)

2 Likes

Deck slots are an issue. I personally don’t because it’s a nonbo with Tour Guide, but that’s less relevant. It’s an ok card.

@Chuftbot is correct, because of Tour Guide

@cmcadvanced
How are you liking Infrastructure instead of Encryption Protocol?