Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

It looks a lot like the Quetzal deck I was playing 6 months ago, and I think you were playing a Whizzard deck that was not too far off as well?
http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/h7CiSLu5g6YMoeEeG/

Blue Sun kicks it in the nuts, and when NBN drops off Aggro gets even worse.

Ret Run makes no sense without a Femme or anything worthwhile to pull. I mean shit, put a Morning Star in there at least.

Also, I think Codebusting has merit over a Kati for Aggro, but without a Levy you have really limited econ.

Honestly, MaxX is cool and all but if her ability gets better over time why try to get Aggro with her? Play Quetzal instead, since her ability is actually strongest in the early game.

2 Likes

Completely agree. The LARLA benefit to MaxX is substantial, and the post-clot meta should only amplify that. Also the timing of that TWA article seems quite odd with respect to clot.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œjerklin, post:286, topic:3046ā€]Ret Run makes no sense without a Femme or anything worthwhile to pull. I mean shit, put a Morning Star in there at least
[/quote]
Retruns are better than Deja vu calling back non virus programs IMO.
One of the only 3 click n go heap tutor (CS, Scavenge, RetRun).

In terms of tempo, itā€™s nice. Not excellent, but nice. They get excellent with FF sure, but they do make sense without !

1 Like

The world is about to slow down and ice is getting bigger. Nowt wrong with some MemStrips if your rig needs Datasucker to break Ice.

1 Like

How about Djinn instead?

Dino to beat them Ichiā€™s.

Itā€™d be real weird if this was actually a thing.

Memstrips is better than Djinn though IMO.

2 Likes

If only q_q

So Iā€™ve been playing this list on OCTGN for a few hours:

Chronos Fodder

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (15)
3x DĆ©jĆ  Vu
3x Inject
2x Retrieval Run
1x Scavenge ā€¢ā€¢
2x Stimhack
3x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢
2x Grimoire
1x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts
3x Kati Jones
2x Liberated Account
1x Utopia Shard ā€¢

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder
2x Femme Fatale ā€¢ā€¢
1x Mimic
1x Torch ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢

Program (9)
1x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
2x Imp
1x Medium
3x Parasite

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Iā€™ve been happy with Inject over IHW so far, although I honestly havenā€™t played it much. Torch is absolutely awesome to have installed, and Femme is super nice to have around for Data Raven and other stupid shit.

Iā€™ve won 5/5 with it so far, and, despite the name, Iā€™ve been Chronosā€™d 4 out of the 5 games. Iā€™m still not seeing this card do much.

Playing against Argus was pretty obnoxious, but an early Kati made sure I could just power through the Archers with femme every time he rezzed one. Hardest game so far was when I lost both Grimoire to Maxx against HB, so I didnā€™t have the MU to Medium dig them, despite there being an easy opening. This deck can get set up faster and lock out remotes better than RAM, and maybe thereā€™ll be some weird rush meta that makes that a good choice in the future. Itā€™s a refreshing switch from Doppel/RAM, at least.

11 Likes

Hereā€™s my fun MaxX (very much unapproved, fuck the man) Iā€™m going to go back to now that SCs are over. Based on DoppelMaxX but with some mods. If you want to understand the title just sleeve this deck up and play. Use original art Kati.

Babes of Netrunner 2015

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (13)
1x Amped Up
2x Day Job
3x DĆ©jĆ  Vu
1x Levy AR Lab Access ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
1x Showing Off
3x Sure Gamble
2x Wanton Destruction

Hardware (10)
3x Clone Chip ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢
3x Cyberfeeder
2x DoppelgƤnger ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
1x MemStrips
1x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (8)
3x Daily Casts
2x Kati Jones
2x Liberated Account
1x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder
2x Mimic
1x Yog.0
1x ZU.13 Key Master ā€¢ā€¢

Program (8)
3x Datasucker
1x Imp
1x Medium
3x Parasite

1 Like

14 Likes

youā€™re on probation

5 Likes

Very happy to see some Maxx no future (no Larla) but half the r&d work is done imho. :slight_smile:

The ā€œDesperado + Clone Chips for influenceā€ approach can really benefit from going down to 2 Desperados and packing an Atman instead. Youā€™re still MaxX dammit, you ARE going to see it (and the Atman gives you both an awesome lategame and a ā€œfuck the stupid white flowersā€ button).

I would run Injects in that version though - if youā€™re not Levying, drawing more cards becomes even more important.

2 Likes

Thisā€¦has given me an idea. Damn it to hell @PeekaySK i have a job you know, there goes my whole afternoon. browsers to NRDB

2 Likes

Welcome to my world, hope you enjoy your stay. Word of warning though, the natives are usually restless, sometimes positively insane.

edit: @king_mob, hereā€™s something to use as a baseline if you like - my original list from before the release of O&C, actually tested in an ā€œup to The Sourceā€ meta with a bias towards Midseasons (so possibly not unlike what weā€™ll see post-Clot).

Ditch the Levies, ditch the Grimoires, ditch the Prepaids and one of the Carapaces. Put in an Atman, two Desperadoes and three IHWs. This will leave you at 46. If you want to get down to 45 no matter what, ditch the second Carapace as well.

1 Like

I had Torch in my initial build. Trouble finding it?

Generally, no. I usually milled both retrieval runs and then drew it at the start of turn early on.

1 Like

Iā€™m struggling with zu as the lotus field solution. Iā€™m not sure if its due to my play style or the zu decision. Zu works fine to make high impact HQ (legwork) and scoring remote runs, but I question its value against R&D due to the interaction with medium.

• Its difficult to maintain a R&D lock with a minimum of a $4 tax.
  • By paying the R&D lock tax, you may be unable to threaten other servers
  • Once the R&D lock is broken, generally medium is cleared and you have to start all over again.
  • Having medium tokens adds extra incentive for the corp to clear your other viruses.
  • Decreasing pressure on R&D drags the game out and risks taking you to time at tournaments
  • Its critical to put pressure on R&D against FA decks (pre-clot)

Against an opponent with lotus field on R&D I can only imagine three options:

• ā€œThe Anarch Forkā€. Find the lotus field on R&D and ignore it until the opponent attempts to score. Once this happens, put extreme pressure on R&D so they have to delay scoring or leak R&D. If all goes well youā€™ve snagged agendas from R&D and have leftover resource to snag the agenda in the remote. If it goes wrong, you spent to many resources compared to the corp and create a board state that is extremely difficult to recover from.
  • Attempt to make your opponent over commit. Install the medium and try to get them to ice over commit resources to protecting R&D. This doesnā€™t work against blue sun.
  • Forget medium and only make intelligent single access R&D runs (after face down jackson shuffle etc.). Seems like a weak solution.

I could always drop zu for a better lotus field solution, but Iā€™m not sure what that would be. Everything below feels like an over reaction.

• Knight. This would have been the ideal solution. Unfortunately Blue Sun exists. I wonā€™t argue weyland needed a boost, but it sure is disappointing that anarch received an entire cycle of unplayable chess cards and a punch in the dick (hard at work).
  • Spooned. Drop Knifed for Spooned. Two issues there:
  • Yog blanks small code gates. Not all decks play large code gates so is a dead draw.
  • Depending on Maxx mills you are forced to save DV/SoT recursion for the LARLA. Would probably need to add additional recursion to reliably used spooned, which would only further weaken the deck to decks that donā€™t use big code gates.
  • Atman. Drop the LF/Scavenge (which sucks to do) or a clone chip (which sucks even more to do) for atman and a shard. I ended up winning a small SC doing this. There are three problems.
  • An early enigma or datapike becomes a big problem on a scoring remote. Parasite isnā€™t an instant solution and you probably wonā€™t have access to yog.
  • The initial install fee is rather expensive.
  • End rig memory issues. Assume you used yog to blank small code gates instead of forcing a parasite, then your end rig is made up of 5 memory (corroder, mimic, yog, atman, datasucker) with only leaves 1 spare MU for imp, medium, parasite, or d4vid.
  • Torch. Drop the LF/Scavenge or a clone chip for torch. Iā€™ve never tried this option. I assume there are a few issues:
  • 1 Expensive
  • Good synergy with stimhack/clone chip or retrieval run, but really need additional expensive breakers to make the most of those includes. Morning star could be a potential option, but that would be a tough sell for me.

So, what have others experiences been? Both in game play style decisions and out of game deck building?

1 Like

I think there are a few decent options:

(1) Torch/Femme/Ret Run. You can potentially swing this by cutting Zu and Lucky Find. You could also think about Morning Star at that point. Trouble is, with Torch at 4 influence, youā€™re going to have to cut a Clone Chip or Legwork if you want both Torch and Femme. I think there is maybe a meta where this makes sense, but itā€™s hard to make room without cutting key cards. Perhaps in a meta without NEH, cutting legwork, zu, and lucky, (and maybe some breakers) for 1 Femme 1 Torch 1 Morning Star and maybe a Shard is a good deal.

(2) Spooned x1. As a same old target, this isnā€™t an awful option, and cutting a Knife for it is pretty easy. Anywhere but R&D Lotus isnā€™t a big issue, so just killing one when it shows up isnā€™t bad.

(3) Knight. I like this option least because it will fail miserably against Blue Sun, forcing you to play Zu or something anyway most likely. It is, however, a pretty flexible card that helps a lot against people who might try to rush against you. Memory is probably the biggest issue with Knight, as installing an extra piece without Grimoire is often impossible.

(4) Atman. Great once itā€™s in play but 3 influence is kind of miserable and the install cost makes it just as inefficient as Zu a lot of the time and you run into the same MU issues as Knight. I think this is kind of a shitty option unless people are playing lots of 4 str ICE in the same deck as Lotus, which really only comes up out of HB. Knifed does such a good job of killing Eli that itā€™s impact is much lower than if you pulled the same stunt out of shaper.

(5) Net Ready Eyes, which is a decent card generally, can take the place of the Zu and the Lucky. Itā€™s not out yet though. This has the big benefits of saving money regardless of the matchup, synergizing with IHW, and making code gates largely irrelevent because of Yog breaking for free. The big disadvantage is it canā€™t be tutored.

(6) Just keep things the way they are. You can break Lotus Field on R&D, and a taxing R&D in general, by just stockpiling tons of cash. The trick is to be able to get as many medium runs in as you can in as short a time period as possible. This stretches the corpā€™s ability to clear viruses off medium before giving up lots of multi access and is a sound strategy in pretty much any case where youā€™re not at imminent risk of losing the game.

1 Like

Eater + Spooned + 5c = :heart_eyes:

Oh wait, Minimum Punk Rock, ah: Iā€™d go with Femme + Retrun (which I also have in Eater) or Atman or suck it up and pay the good people their 4c per show.

Which one is it?

3 Likes