Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

Stimhack way too good to cut, but I don’t dislike the 1x NRE 3x Deja plan to save inf and keep that Lucky Find around.

1 Like

Off the Eyes topic, is Morning Star worth considering in Reg MaxX even though you can’t cheat it out? It seems like it got better with the rise of Next ice and Hive always being around. Its generally just very good against HB. Obviously Parasite exists so Star probably isn’t necessary but I wanted to float the idea here.

Memory is the biggest barrier to Morningstar getting play.

Especially in a typical reg-ass build, you just won’t have the MU after your rig is set up without compromising some other aspect of the deck.

Its pretty easy to cheat out with stimhack + clone chip or even retrieval run. But Grimoire isn’t going to be enough mem by itself.

Maybe you could get 3 mu just for viruses so you can run medium and datasucker without tying up mu for real breakers. Shame that card doesn’t exist.

15 Likes

Honestly I don’t think it’d be too crazy MU wise to have Morningstar. You might need to find room for the third Grimoire, which makes the deck a little worse, but if MaxX started with a Grimoire in play I don’t think there’d be any significant MU issues. Grimoire gives a whole two MU!

Just had a pretty amazing game on SHL4 against a pretty standard RP even though I lost. Since I don’t have breaker bay on hand yet, decided to just test out one card. Ran with the standard Regass list this time, with a blasphemous 46th card as Vamp.

Game started out pretty maxximum punk rock: all Kati, déjà vu, and sot milled. The slight saving grace was that I was pressuring the corp enough, and also imped/trashed all the installed sundews and assets. Game was more or less equal in terms of board position except that the corp had scored a nisei already. I was at 0 points even after I levy’d. Had Kati and other Econ finally set up the second time through the deck, but the game was just stalling. Until one of the key turns, I finally trashed the caprice in the scoring server with a sundew in it, as well as forcing the corp use up the nisei counter for it.

By that time my deck has already ran out, and had 2 déjà, vamp, and two irrelevant cards. My board had all breakers out, some clone chips, a loaded Kati, a sot, and an prior installed liberated. I poked around the hq some more as cards hasn’t left his hand for a while. Parasited down the tsurugi and scoring a fetal AI from hq. Was really afraid I would lose the vamp or both déjà. The turn after that he replaced one more ice on hq which was an ashigaru. It was rezzed when I ran hq the following turn. The turn or two after he recovered back up to 10c, had a new caprice in the remote and an install advanced card.

Corp is at 4 points, and I’m at 2. I had installed another parasite on the ashigaru, so hq is ashigaru at 2 strength but 5 subs, and an inner ice of himitsu bako. I took Kati first click, bringing me to 18c, vamp second, and took him down to 0 leaving me at 2c. I had to decide whether to clear the tag, and let him recover, or sot stimhack through the remote that had one rezzed Eli and two unrezzed ice. I chose the latter which I knew I would lose my only Kati, and scored the nisei whilst trashing the caprice.

From that point both of us are kinda screwed. He click for credits and trashed my Kati, while I click for credits back up to 5 and checked his hq once or twice per turn with at least 4/5 credits. Eventually he got back up to 10c with a hedge fund and install double advanced an agenda. The turn prior I trashed a newly rezzed mental health clinic, which may or may not be the reason I lost. I looked at the remote and decided it might be an napd. I could get into it, but would end up with 0, so deemed it a bit risky when hq is only defended by a himitsu bako. Turns out it was the winning future perfect for the corp. He then told me that for the past 6-7 turns that I constantly poke around hq with 4 or 5 credits, he had 2 future perfects and an napd… Which I never saw. Such is netrunner, coupled with some bad game decisions by me. Though I’m quite surprised how effective vamp could be if the runner doesn’t want to play the remote game with RP.

TL;DR Vamp = no psi games

1 Like

I was actually considering Vamp for this deck as anti-RP tech when I saw someone playing a Power Nap Eater maxx deck in SHL. It’s definitely worth testing, as pretty much nobody is going to Caprice HQ against you. I just question whether there is enough money in the deck for it to be consistently positive for you to pay the HQ tax simply to trade credits with the corp.

Perhaps against RP, sometimes they would slow down enough for Kati and liberated to be enough. I would be pretty wary of caprice on HQ or a nisei token. Then again if they stuck both of those on HQ and used it to prevent the vamp, I would suppose it’s a slight win for us…

I remember doing RP against SamRS and his headlock Reina during the SSCI, and his Econ package is really not that different with what you have in regass. Liberated, Kati , and daily casts. Obviously we don’t have the Reina tax or Xanadu, but that’s where the game plan differs I guess.

If I were to really trim down the deck to be 45 cards, I think I would cut 1 copy of I’ve Had Worse.

I’m actually pretty close to running no decoder at all. Parasites take care of low and Atman takes care of medium/high.

1 Like

I tested 2 Vamp in Reg and you couldn’t lose to RP. The slots were all but dead vs HB though

1 Like

That powernaps deck is something to behold if people haven’t played against it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I loved that game. But, as I said, my 2 favourite moments were the vamp out of nowhere and when you trashed my sundew and caprice and I topdecked a new one. Game was crazy, you know :wink:

Did a game with the same Maxx with a vamp against RP. Got lucky and scored 6 points fairly early. Then… That moment when the world champ is spectating the game of his own deck, and you prep for the vamp that would win you the game for the scoring server… Then failed on simple math. Ggggggggg, #MathHard.

4 Likes

Due to the poor representation of Maxx in the last regionals, do you think blacklist killed it ?

Yeah I’m not seeing nearly as much MaxX as I expected at Regionals and I’m interested to know why.

1 Like

I think it start with black and end with list.

4 Likes

Literal no one is playing it. I think less people are afraid of blacklist than people who just were never confident with it in the first place.

1 Like

Wanna use it for regional season, guess it’s not gonna end well xD

Yeah there just don’t seem to be many MaxX players around full stop. There were only 4 people playing MaxX at Oxford regionals. There were more people playing Hayley, CT and Noise.

There was a lot of Blacklist about at Oxford regionals. Of the top four, three were playing Blacklist (including the winner, who was playing three).

Surprised there wasn’t more MaxX there though. She’s not far behind Kate and better vs RP.