Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

I’d parasited down a Galahad, and then a Quandry. Seemed good to me!

I think many NEH players are happy enough with the odds you describe, and it’s worse if agendas have already been scored or stolen. But maybe my opponents are just willing to take risks.

Playing the odds and evaluating the risk/reward factor is what separates the great NEH players from the rest. This aspect of the matchup is also why I like it so much. They’re usually very entertaining games.

1 Like

I find that I almost always find Medium in time to win against NEH. The thing about it is, until you get at least 2/3 breakers available, it isn’t even good. @clercqie is correct, econ denial early is more important than getting Medium going ASAP. If they’re threatening to score, you can draw faster to get to it. Before they score Astro, you often don’t want to play it because they might divert their attention to R&D rather than scoring Astro, which is what you don’t want.

I find my Astrobiotics matchup is well above 50/50. I am undefeated in tournament against it in probably 10-15 games or so, many of which were against very strong NEH players, such as @Basoon, @bblum, and @Webster.

I used to think Butch was 50/50, but I’ve been winning it more and more often. Astrobiotics is only 50/50 if they’re playing multiple Ichis AND multiple CVSes, (which can blow you out in conjunction, and significantly fuck with your Medium race alone). Regular Astrobiotics a la @bblum and @Calimsha is at least 70% and can go as high as 85% if their list is skimping on tech cards or econ to fit more of the crap that’s no good against you like more copies of DBS. The only bad NEH matchups are the ones that can make good use of Blacklist, (Power Shutdown/Lotus Field, which is awful for you, and possibly Grail, which still might be 50/50).

5 Likes

This was grail with Blacklist, and rushed out an Astro behind a Wraparound (no Corrdor or D4V1d) turn 1. As I said, maybe it was just risky play that paid off. Medium would have made that play a non-starter.

Then just open install the Astro and devote wrap to rnd. If you fear medium, that is.

Yeah, but if I was consistently able to topdeck 2 Beales on the last turn, my winrate would skyrocket as well. :wink: (I kid, I kid)

Up to Regional season here, we’ve been playing with and against Butchershop quite often as well. As long they don’t get a completely nut hand, it’s very very beatable. Especially if they don’t play SanSan to apply scoring pressure. Regular NEH FA is far more flexible and thus the better deck.

This is the reason why I’ve been disillusioned with NRE lately…

1 Like

I know that this was probably mentiont somewhere, but will Trope be the new Levy of Maxx? Recurring only the things we want and not having huge cost.

Probably, although it’ll require tinkering with the deck a lot. You’ll want to install it pretty early to get mileage out of it, and it’ll mean that you’ll need more memory earlier. You’ll need at least two, if you want to avoid it being at the bottom of the deck. Because you’d take out Levy, you probably don’t need as many SoTs. One other questions is what are you going to add to the deck with your free influence? It may be that Levy is the most efficient use of the last three influence, because you don’t have to jump through the other hoops that you have to with Trope.

As for Eater Maxx, I’m definitely looking forward to it. Six free influence = three clone chips baby, instaparasites for days!

Heh. Trope with Eater/Siphon MaxX could be amusing. Trope back in 3 Account Siphon. Draw draw draw…

2 Likes

I feel like almost certainly not. So much stuff could go wrong; not seeing it early, its inflexible so you cant just play a bunch of them, you need to draw before your ability goes off or its worse…

Levy is like, $5 draw 5 and then draw 1 every turn after that, which is actually a pretty good deal. Trope draws you 3 free cards for $1 OR combos with IHW and even then often doesnt put enough gas back in the tank. Thats assuming you draw it at a good time. And it takes up memory.

3 Likes

I know where you can get some memory on the ‘cheap’

@Jander
I don’t think you can find the slot or want that thing sitting there taking up MU though. Its fine for grabbing up game closing power cards, but this isn’t what maxx wants out of ‘more cards’ imo. Maxx straight out wants to keep getting power cards, and keep HP in the deck.

2 Likes

Hi guys first time poster here.
Been playing Reg-ass Maxx for a long time with my own brew.
It’s basically the only deck I had serious practice with in 2015.
A big tournament is coming up and I want to stick with what I know = Maxx’s cheap thrills
Haven’t played netrunner in the last month or so so not really up to date with the meta - Drive By is a card.
Brain damage casually being applied.

Long story short, is there a list that can duke it out with tournament staples, RP, Butchershop, Fastrobiotics, Blue sun ? We’re talking Reg ass here not Eater Maxx.

Should such list feature Film Critic(s) ? Street Peddlers ? Faust ? Vamp ?
What proportion of Davids, Parasites and Imps ?
I tried Faust and heavy drawing / Inject with my sparring partner and he was unimpressed.

Shall one just switch to an aggro build with siphons and eater / faust ?

What’s the current “state of the art” list ?
The one a certain World Champion would be willing to bring to defend his claim.

If you give me a 45 cards list with no Inject, I’ll just stick 3 to it.
Convince me not to :blush:

Cheers

here’s the standard list, I’m virtually certain it’s what Dan plays too (46 cards):

To answer your other questions…my opinions:
Film Critic is not needed with Imp.
Vamp isn’t great as you’re not a massive econ deck like Opus decks.
Eater-MaxX is an entirely different deck
Inject is not great as it further taxes your recursion, imo, but if you like it then go for it.
I’ve been testing Street Peddler lately to see if it improves the match-ups (since I don’t think RegMaxX is as good as it used to be when I started playing it pre-SSCI), I don’t think they appreciably help the deck given what you have to cut for them. I’d be curious to hear your results.

6 Likes

Beats every deck every time. thanks dan.

3 Likes

Anyone else been running Immolation Script in RegMaxx? I put a single copy in to test it, and as it’s been doing ridiculous work against pretty much everyone I never took it out again. The opportunity cost to play it is low, because you usually want to run archives for suckers at some point anyway and now you can kill an ice too.

Usual targets are taxing staples: Eli, Caduceus, Ichi, Data Raven etc. All of these have a high enough strength that Parasiting them away is a significant investment of time that is sometimes hard to justify; but when you know you are essentially taking out two at once, that investment becomes more appealing. Occasionally you get a blowout and Immolation Script a Tollbooth or Curtain Wall or whatever - that’s great when it happens, but don’t invest a lot of time trying to pull it off. The card is good enough just getting rid of the mid-cost taxers mentioned above.

Anyone else have experience with it and agree/disagree?

4 Likes

It sounds great when it works, but what to take out for it? I’ve never felt so locked with the slots as with Maxx. I’m running the 47 cards, with 2 d4v1ds that @Jdalart used. Thinking of making one of the d4v1ds a 3rd imp since I’m seeing less and less blue sun, and imp is awesome.

EDIT: I guess knifed is the obvious cut

I have avoided this question thus far by playing 47-card Maxx :stuck_out_tongue:

The question of what to take out can wait, I think; whether people think Script is worth making a cut for is probably worth discussing before working out what to cut. That said, I thought about cutting Knifed, but the synergy between the two is pretty significant.

2 Likes

Let’s see: Knifed is mostly used either on Eli and the multisub Weyland barriers like Hive, Spiderweb and Curtain Wall in my experience. Not being able to kill Elis on the spot with 2 clicks hurts.

Of the latter category, Spiderweb is the most widely played lately and Parasite takes care of it with relative ease. Curtain Wall is mostly Oversight’d, but 2 David takes care of those. Hive is really only played in Blue Sun glacier and that archetype is waning.

So it’s a toss-up between being able to kill Elis more handily, which in my experience are most annoying when you’re trying to go for the Medium dig, or killing other types of ICE with a bit more effort. Seems legit. What would really swing it to Immolation for me is getting rid of Lotus Fields, but alas you cannot Parasite those…

2 Likes

There was a lot of Power Shutdown around here in response to Net-Ready Eyes, and for a while I went back to the Zu plan, using the space for Spooned + Script; that was amazing for Lotus hate, and Spooned+D4v1d on Tollbooth is pretty satisfying too. I’m back on NRE now that Power Shutdown has faded a bit again, but I wonder if I should have just stuck with the Zu + extra ice destruction plan. It was definitely solid.

1 Like

Interesting, this is where I’m at at the moment as well: cutting Yog, NRE and 1 IHW for 2 Zu and 2 Peddler (which is amazing for finding stuff you need at the right time. Setup is much faster in this build, which is a plus.

Problem is I’m still quite vulnerable to Power Shutdown, but at least Zu is easier to retrieve than NRE if I lose it. The bigger issue with my list is the massive amount of Cyberdex and 4 strength sentries that’s being played. Having to have at least 1 Datasucker available all the time is stress-inducing. Seems like the Noise hate that’s doing rounds hurts other Anarchs more than him, and Maxx takes the most hits of them all imo.

2 Likes