Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

I believe the deck name is “Nap Boyz

6 Likes

I’ll chip in with some Eater/Siphon decks:

I played a tonne of Eater/Siphon MaxX a few months ago, (old list here: http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/iczeDTjHipQcrMg97/), I think the Eater/Siphon MaxX decks of the present might want to look a bit more like this: http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/inztt7Hs27R5yjf9b/, and though I’ve not tried it, it’s probably very close to what I’d play now. Credit to @Vapo for the idea of Apocalypse, but it seems like a very perfect fit for her. She doesn’t have a board other than Eater and a stack of tags, and it can certainly help the lategame where you really don’t want to have to Keyhole for 10 credits (and also is a half-decent answer to an established scoring remote).

Either way, I love Eater Siphon MaxX, and will probably sleeve this up at some point in the future because DDoS and Apocalypse are fantastic additions to the archetype.

PS: Fuck Crisium Grid

3 Likes

Yep, Apocalypse is definitely a strong addition, it did some good work at the random ID tournament in Southampton just gone - my only losses with MaxX were to the same EtF deck (twice in elim - I had managed to beat it in swiss at least). Deck was very similar to what you posted above -2 hacktivist -1 daily, +1 amped up +1 knight +1 plascrete (there was a prize for most kills so I figured 2nd plas was needed, and with the random field Hacktivist didn’t feel that strong. It’s probably correct against a more normal meta tho)

And Turing. Man, Turing on centrals is a pain. Parasite may need to make an appearance, it sucks to need to femme something pre-apocalypse.

This was my list for worlds: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/391601 which is somewhat similar to @Xenasis list.

I lost to 1 NEH all day I think, including stopping @ff0x who went astro->astro-> beale. The hub matchup is real and I played some sides against haarp that went well. I think apoc was definitely a miss on my part. I test it and just didn’t like it. Overall it has a bad enough HB matchup that I died in swiss beating only 1 foodcoats with it. Crushed RP though. I also might have tilted and lost more games than I should have. I think its a good list in an NBN world. Employee strike is great.

I tested Doubles Maxx too, and while fun, I didn’t like it for competitive, I like the list @thebigunit3000 put up.

2 Likes

I got 8th at the Ice Breaker tournament with a very janky Apocalypse MaxX. My influence spread was

2 Apocalypse
1 Levy AR Lab Access
1 Account Siphon
2 Femme Fatale

Just to give you guys an idea of how bad my list was I had Knights and Hacktivist Meetings in the deck. But despite being bad cards in the traditional Eater MaxX those cards ended up being quite fantastic in this version!

By the last round I ended up playing against the 2nd place Asher Sthulman who was also sporting NEH and Eater MaxX.

I know it was a side tournament but man was there a lot of NEH and DLR Val.

1 Like

Turing on a central is a problem right? Only DDos helps but not if your tagged because you cannot install it before the apocalypse run. And what if its already rezzed or not an outer ice? Similarily a swordsman could be bad right?

As convoluted as it sounds I tend to Retrieval Run archives for a Femme mid-Apocalypse if it is on HQ or RnD, or alternatively set up a turn before where you Deja Vu for your Yog.0.

From my brief experience Glacier decks tend to be a bad match up for Eater MaxX. I’m pretty convinced that any Caprice or Crisium is going to be a nightmare. In the case of HB you are right that Turing is a nuisance and they will actively target Turing with Archive Memories post-Apocalypse.

NEH can be a bad match up as well but your good hands will almost always be better than their good hands. Sadly they will beat you on consistency.

They do have pretty good gearchecks for you though. Innermost Wraparounds and/or Tollbooths on HQ and Elis on Archives and R&D. But this plan is slow. They are preparing to turtle up so that they can start scoring from hand. If you have a good hand this can be exploited. Otherwise you have gotten edged out which is surprisingly more common than you would think.

All those corps mentioned above have motivated me to consider running another copy of Queen’s Gambit. Siphons don’t usually count as Econ for me as it is just disruption with upside. A Vamp would more or less be considered the same thing for me if I had another Econ card to help me breakthrough in the first place.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah relying on siphon for money is too easy to play around for the corp. I played @Xenasis deck and thought about adding Queen’s Gambit, too. With all those upgrades and assets around one should always be able to play it. Is Day Job worth it? I never want to play it when i draw it …

Ok, so playing Yog.0 is a good idea. What about Mimic? Worth the spot? What are the mimic targets – architect and swordsman? Are all those one-of breakers worth it without Clone Chip?

Landing an Apocalypse fells so good :smile: Yesterday I siphoned, keyholed for an agenda, stole the agenda from archives and trashed 5 ice on the centrals and a remote with turing, caprice, breaker bay, one other upgrade and an agenda :smiling_imp:

this list on NRDB is the best looking version of the deck I’ve seen so far: Apocalypse Now / Fury Road - 6-2 Worlds, 2nd Icebreaker · NetrunnerDB

Apart from the obvious having 2 too many cards, it looks pretty close to perfect, the extra econ from Queen’s Gambit and Daily Casts should really help against glacier. I think having both Yog and Femme is the right call with the number of 2x/3x turing lists, you want to be able to deal with one on a central both before and after an apocalypse, and unless there’s a conveniently placed destroyer or you have a spare ret run to trash stuff with, that means having 2 programs that can deal with it. Lack of a 1x Vamp is surprising though, it’s absolutely crushing just before or after an Apocalypse.

1 Like

I played against him last round of the Ice Breaker tournament. His list is much better and far better tuned than my deck.

Ok back to RegAss: with Glacier on the rise again is she getting better, too? Or is Cyberdex a too big of a problem? @d1en finished 9th with a RegVal. Does that mean RegMaxX could’ve done similarily well?

What could be some changes to the build now? With Lotus Field out of the picture maybe only 1 NetReady Eyes and use the influence for something else? Probably packing Plascrete?

Is it worth thinking about her at all at the moment?

1 Like

She’s way too soft to harp kill if it gets popular, and she’s notably worse than Val vs glacier. None of her good matchups are on the rise. Don’t think now is anything even close to the right time for RAM. =/

RegAss Maxx is one of the best runner against Harps(gonna need 3 imp though)
and I think she has a decent chance against foodcoat right now(better than Kate) . NEH is still a problem though

Why not just run Yog?

1 Like

I actually find that MaxX is at her all time softest against Spark. : (

NEH isnt terrible as far as bad MUs go but your options to click for credits are tougher.

I haven’t played the food matchup vs maxx, but I don’t really see why she’d be good against it, especially if they find CVS quickly. The Ichi spam is really tough for her.

RP was the best reason to run Maxx, and with it largely gone, she loses a lot of appeal.

Is there something I’m missing about the HB match?

1 Like

I only played a few Maxx vs FoodCoat against @thebigunit3000 and I think I won all of them meanwhile I lost all the time with Kate in our practice ( I played Kate at worlds Niles!) You just have to slow down and never medium, trash everything in remote, same as what you do with RedCoat before.

I think without SanSan, this MU is better for Maxx than HBFA. And sure CVS is there but Ichi still is manageable.

Foodcoat rely so much on their campaigns behind turing/booth and with the 3imp build (for anti-haarps too) you won’t let any second remote campaign run through. If they stick campaigns in the main scoring remote, you can go challenge the ice and slowly parasite them

I’ve been mainly on Kate before worlds, but when I was on Maxx against that, it just feel so much easier.

1 Like

True, Kate is worse at trashing campaigns, but I feel like she deals with Eli, Ichi, and Turing all far easier than the anarch suite does. You’re probably just a lot more comfortable with Maxx =p

I was worried you gonna say that =p my Kate is fine! :angry:
And Noooo turing is the worst when you are on gordian =[

3 Likes

I wish Amped Up did the damage at the end of the turn. It’s really cool in combination with a bunch of events like Wanton Destruction, Apoc, Quest Completed, even Day Job. But a 20-25% of knocking what you want the extra clicks to do out of your hand makes it mediocre at best.

Anarch breakers with Atman is still the best set in the game. D4v1d + Yog makes Turing pretty irrelevant. Kate’s only advantage over MaxX is access to SMC. It’s a pretty big advantage though.

Edit: Oh, I suppose Lady’s pretty good too.

1 Like