Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

Hahaha why are you on Gordian since Turing became popular? CyCy/Escher is always awesome.

And @masterair, where does Maxx get the inf for Atman? I’ve played AtMaxx without Levy, but those are both super important vs glacier, and you can’t fit both unless you’re skipping NRE? Maybe that’s right at this point. 3 cc, levy, Atman, 1 NRE/legwork, utopia or something? Even scavenge for David over legwork could be solid.

And yeah, SMC for the first agenda/Adonis is super important. I’ve lost an unreasonable number of games with Maxx because all the mimics were in the bottom 10 cards.

2 Likes

Niles, for a few weeks I tested -2 NRE, +CyCy,+Utopia in MaxX. It actually works reasonably well. Swap Legwork for Maker’s and you have a better deck, Legwork isn’t as important right now as the Maker’s Eye and Maker’s Eye is a great burst to get around CVS clearing Medium. You don’t need NRE anymore, I think.

RegVal is still probably better, though.

Edit: in KoS I played basic RegMaxX with Makers Eyes (-1 Legwork, -1 NRE, +2 Maker’s Eyes, an extra SOT) and it was great, you draw into them very quickly.

1 Like

you also have time where you just can’t find your smc and mimic :stuck_out_tongue: it will take you way longer to dig that than double mimic bottom 10 with maxx!

The thing I found out about Maxx is that you can let the first adonis ran through and you will still be fine. For Kate it will put you into a huge disadvantage. That mu vs Kate is a mu about RNG and less of that when you are on Maxx.

That sounds cool! I’ll give it a shot when I get to play next. Good ideas.

If Food HB becomes super popular, I can see both maker’s Maxx and double stimhack Kate probably getting decent numbers against it. Thanks for the discussion!

You have ways to play down south?

There’s a store called Warpig in Santiago that holds two netrunner nights a week, and hosted Chilean nationals. I’m hopefully gong to be able to make it there, and have a connection for octgn.

6 Likes

it somehow sounds better than DC. lucky you

1 Like

Well, the city is about seven times the size of D.C.

Feel free to join me =D

1 Like
1 Like

As a MaxX enthusiast, I wonder if Reg Ass is still viable. I have been having a lot of fun with eater MaxX evolved, with Apocolypse. Powerful as it may be, it does not have the same consistency that Reg Ass had in its prime. But Dan said in a interview, (and I am paraphrasing), that when people put Cyberdex in their deck, your ability to “outplay your opponent” and almost garuntee a win disappears. The question I’m proposing is: Is Reg Ass MaxX going to be competative for this SC season? If no, what changes do we make it good enough?

1 Like

I think Maxx is always competitive, competitive enough for SC at least.

Her problem is mostly against Sponsorship NEH especially Turtle sponsorship NEH with CVS, unfortunately nothing has changed since GenCon so this match up probably still remains disturbing.
Also RP! They play cerebral static again :angry: :rage: .

But foodcoat is nuts now! So there won’t be that many specific kind of NEH around. I’ve been playing regass Maxx before/after worlds and got some positive test results against foodcoat. I know many people will disagree but I think It is a close match up (slightly in favor of Maxx).

Kate deck has become virus-lite, the most popular Maxx right now has no virus either. If your early mill didn’t tell much, they will even put Turing on their centrals :laughing: ! Anyway soon people will be on only 1CVS and no one really plays Chronos Project anymore. That’s are all good news for us.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is my main problem. I really hate rolling the dice on matchups in a tournament, so what can we change to improve these matchups without sacraficing the core of the deck?

Yeah to me its the NEH matchup that’s a sticking point. Previously MaxX also had to contend with Chronos, Blacklist and CVS, but those cards are on the decline right now.

I’m unsure about how to solve the NEH matchup though, and there are currently a bunch of Runner and Corp decks to test for SC so I haven’t had enough games to know if it can be solved and how. Maybe Scrubbers or Clots are the answer but I don’t know what the cut is.

2 Likes

I think a clot isn’t really worth it as NEH is already running CVS and your only way to Clot at instant speed is clone chips, which are already taxed heavily in Reg Ass. Scrubber seems unessacery with Imp, I rather run a third imp than scrubbers. I was thinking of more along the lines of Hacktavist Meeting, which has been affective vs Foodcoats as well as all NEH archatypes when I have played it in Eater MaxX.

1 Like

I’m running progenitor, double medium and lucky find as well as 3 imp, 46cards.
I currently want to -1 imp and +1 spooned or David. Archangel has been a pain for me.

1 Like

I’ve found that Hacktivist is underwhelming against NEH unless you’re on some kind of econ denial strategy. The whole point if their deck is that they can score out agendas without telegraphing and without too much of a tempo hit. And even if they don’t have the capability to score them out it won’t achieve a ton in the later turns anyway once their board is set up.

With that said Hacktivist does sometimes just take over a game, and it certainly is good against Foodcoats.

What are you running instead to improve your NEH matchup? A 2nd medium? Or something else?

If i’m not playing Kate, I tend to just give up the NEH matchup. A single deck is enough to keep fastro in check. No need to worry much with your other decks.

2 Likes

Nothing currently.

I wasn’t proposing a better solution I was just shitting on yours.

12 Likes

Thanks man.

8 Likes