Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

2 decks that keep fastro in check. Eater-Apoc MaxX has a NEH matchup almost as good as Kate.

Unfortunately no one is able to give you a solid list against NEH right now .
A couple things worth testing imo are fester, turntable, progenitor and also scrubber.

Turntable is the big one IMO.

Before TS and Archangel came out, I felt pretty good about my NEH matchup. I’d guess like 60+ +/- 10 depending on how many architects/cvs’s. I found that when you’re running more aggressively CVS tends to be not as big of a deal, because you hit it more at times that don’t matter much (data sucker runs, medium for 1 or 2 and you just reset). Scrubber also did a ton of work in the matchup as you can run more than traditional reg-ass Maxx did. The big problem is when they wait until your glorious medium to drop the cvs, or you hit it after going broken to get up to 4 counters on the last click.

TS hurt because it completely reversed a lot of the tempo you could use when they FA’d an agenda. A lot of times I’d be able to counter attack an agenda score with medium threat. So they lost 7-8 credits they needed to protect from medium. Now they score and bring back 1-2 popups and just shove them on R&D. So I can’t do the same plan of just ignoring their FA threat and going after R&D.

Archangel hurt a ton as well, acting as a brutal cvs out of R&D (doesn’t get trashed), have to reinstall the medium. It also does a ton of work just hard installed on R&D, being almost as painful as architect to get through for the low cost of 4. Its there second best ice in the matchup (behind architect) and acts as a equally strong cvs.

So my plan doesn’t really work. I think if I had messed around with turntable before I could have gotten a pretty nuts NBN matchup, but I didn’t. Only other thing I really have in mind is trying out lamprey+turntable as a heavy HQ pressure, but I think the matchup is basically gone for aggro Maxx.

5 Likes

This sucks. NEH is still one of the strongest decks out there, even with the prevalence of Foodcoats. sigh I guess I will have to play something else for SC season.

I feel your pain. Maxx is my go to runner of choice yet I’ve never won a match against a fast advance NBN - only game I’ve won with her is against a nearpad type varient which used tags and DRT.

Need to perhaps practice more with turntable and apoc/eater since my preference is regass, and it’s not looking good overall.

I don’t think the NEH matchup is THAT bad really. Back when I started playing the deck I was winning 80%+ of the time. Tight games, but they all are. 2nd CVS is the main problem, I guess. TS also made it worse. Still, I don’t think theres any one card that’s going to take it from 50-50 or whatever it is back up to 80.

You don’t really need suckers vs most NBN. So they’re just stopping your medium racing. Progenitor seems like it should help some. Turntable is strong vs NBN too.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is the unsolvable problem Eater MaxX solves by playing 1 Apocolypse.

Clearly the Eater Keyhole decks match even against NEH by playing over the top central pressure like Wanton Destruction.

I have won 2 GNK (11 people and 16 people) with foodcoat and Maxx last Dec.
Maxx has been undefeated through the two tournaments beating a number of foodcoats and yellow decks (no NEH tho, but seems ok). There is something wrong with tournament winning decklist submission so I will post the list here.

Warning: it’s a memstrips deck.

January

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (14)
2x DĂŠjĂ  Vu (Core Set)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
1x Knifed (Order and Chaos)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) •••
1x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••
1x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
1x Stimhack (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••• •
1x MemStrips (Order and Chaos)
1x Net-Ready Eyes (Chrome City) ••
2x Turntable (Chrome City)

Resource (10)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (5)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
2x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (9)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Chrome City

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

This is slightly different from the list I ran in the tournament, that one has +1 medium, +1 queens gambit, and -1 imp. yeah just 1 imp can’t be right but i did it anyway, I didn’t miss it during the tournament and really liked 2 medium. But I think the one I posted above is better.

The deck has apart from Grimoire/Progenitor combo and embrace the new trend of turntable/memstrips. Turntable in general just works really well with a decent price, I have swapped their Gilahand with HOK, utopia fragment with food, astro with beal, astro with 15mins, etc. And against foodcoat, you normally can get super rich so that the 3 cost of memstrip isn’t a big deal. This allows you to install and keep your double sucker until the end (something grimoire can’t do) which is crucial for keeping the parasite pressure late game. I will call it an even considering how awesome grimoire is against foodcoat too.

Spooned is necessary for dealing with archangel on R&D.

Anyway, I was really hyped about this list and it treated me well too. The moment I thought I could go back on Maxx, FFG crushed the dream again. Even though I think Maxx may still find a way to keep 2 clonechip and 3 parasite. But as an anarch who depends on clone chip more than anyone, this really sucks.

Now I am the last maxxican. :wink:

6 Likes

Re: Reg-Ass MaxX and the NAPD Most Wanted list:

Shouldn’t someone say a few words?

1 Like

Rest in piece, the only deck you could play Doppelganger in and win games with. Nerf Desperado, completely gut the deck that could support its main competitor. It was fun while it lasted.

4 Likes

now it has to use 15+7=22 influence…life is hard

-1 Clone Chip
-1 Legwork
Lucky Find -> Queen’s Gambit

MW cards: 3 Parasite, 2 Clone Chip, 1 Yog.0
9 influence: 2 Clone Chip, 1 Net-Ready Eyes, 1 Levy

2 slots open to try to add recursion & hq pressure

She took a hit but it seems worth trying.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure you can play Clone Chips in MaxX anymore, unless you are ok with throwing 3 influence hardware into your heap. Retrieval Run seems like an ok replacement.

1 Like

Ugh, I don’t know about that.

You are playing against foodcoat. Turn 3, you want to make a run on R&D. It could be an Ichi or an architect.There is no program on your board yet, you have a mimic in the heap and a mighty clone chip!

Now if that clone chip becomes retrieval run, things would be so different. I’d rather play SMC Valencia then, at least I won’t install the wrong breaker.

yeah so far I’m keeping legwork, taking out all NRE and luckyfind, removing 1 copy of clone chip.
Adding a knight just in case. Faust is going strong, I don’t see the reason of a lot of lotus field.
Retrieval run probably needs to be the 3rd clonechip although I think scavenge is better if I’m willing to take out legwork.
I still have a bad feeling about the deck, but it may turns out to be fine.

New Reg Ass MaxX (47 cards)
MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock
– Event (15 cards)
3 DĂŠjĂ  Vu
3 I’ve Had Worse
1 Legwork (2)
1 Levy AR Lab Access (3)
1 Queen’s Gambit
2 Retrieval Run
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble
– Hardware (3 cards)
1 Clone Chip (3)
2 Grimoire
– Program (17 cards)
2 Corroder
1 D4v1d
2 Datasucker
2 Femme Fatale (2)
2 Imp
1 Medium
2 Mimic
3 Parasite (3)
2 Yog.0 (2)
– Resource (12 cards)
3 Daily Casts
3 Kati Jones
3 Liberated Account
3 Same Old Thing

So this is what I have brewed up so far. Havent tested the deck yet but will soon. I quite liked the Retrieval Run-Femme suite out of Eater MaxX and figured now would be an appropriate time to make such considerations.

Unfortunately this deck looks painfully slow. I threw in cards figuring that they would solve problems I would expect like Retrieval Run and Femmes for problematic big ice and Lotus Fields.

Unfortunately Deja Vu and SMTs maxed out might be the slowest replacements for Clone Chips. Of course given enough time rebuying that quantity of virus programs over the course of a long game will pay off.

Considerations for the deck in general right now appear to be

-1 Clone Chip
-1 Yog.0

+1 Zu.13 Keymaster
+1 Legwork

Stimhack is probably a worse card in this deck now so maybe cutting that for a 2nd d4v1d mught also be the way to go.

Anyways I would love some opinions on this deck.

I’m not saying RetRun is a better card than Clone Chip, just that going forward with MWL, Retrieval Run is going to be significantly easier to use, and probably lower variance especially given that SoT is already in the deck. Using of Retrieval Run also means you can run some chunkier programs like Morningstar and Femme.

Additionally, Clone Chip instant kill Parasite is going to be significantly harder to do if you absolutely have to use your those Clone Chips to install breakers.

Finally, 2 Clone Chips + 3 Parasites is 9 influence. Spending almost two-thirds of your influence on cards that could end up in your heap 66% of the time doesn’t sound wise, especially when those cards are very integral to your strategy to be successful.

This is version I’m going to try, though I suspect that Apoc MaxX, which I’ve been playing for awhile, is generally a better deck now.

MOST WANTED: Faust MaxX

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (16)
1x Code Siphon ••••
3x DĂŠjĂ  Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
1x Legwork ••
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
3x Retrieval Run
1x Spooned
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
1x MemStrips
2x Net-Ready Eyes ••••
2x Turntable

Resource (11)
3x Daily Casts
3x Kati Jones
2x Liberated Account
3x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (8)
2x Faust
2x Mimic
2x Morning Star
2x Yog.0

Program (7)
2x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
2x Imp
1x Medium

13 influence spent (max 15)
47 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Without going too nuts on changes, and feeling a bit down about the loss of chip, I wanted to try something similar to L4J in maxx, and ended up here after about 10 games of play, losing 2 (not much astrobiotics testing though).

maxx

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (15)

Hardware (2)

Resource (13)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (10)

11 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Peddler felt suspect, but ultimately I just want lots of draw to get the breakers on the board, and present a threat everywhere. Test run and scavenge for femme, the way we used to deal with booth. Yes we have d4v1d, but femme is way cheaper, and is infinite. d4v1d + femme vs NBN takes care of a lot of their ice, keeping program costs down, which should keep you aggressive.

You hold all 3 parasites in the build and the full suite of deja to use them over and over. Also lets you fish out medium and imp as needed. Hopefully nearly never sucker, but with 2…probably :frowning:

Test run does femme shennanigans as well as imp and d4v1d BS…and to some extent parasite.

Scavenge works with femme, imp and same old thing to be disruptive and surprising, as well as pull utility getting a breaker out of the dump for cheap/free off a purged/expired imp/d4v1d. Econ has felt fine, but maybe more burst, if peddler disappoints, -3 peddler +2 day job seems fine.

Is anyone else doing regular maxx still?

1 Like