Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

I’ve been playing MaxX for a while now, almost exclusively, so I feel everyone here’s pain when it comes to the MWL. I’ve been working on different versions to tweak it and this is what I’ve come up with so far:

Post NAPD MaxX

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (15)
3x Déjà Vu
1x Forked
3x I’ve Had Worse
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
1x Queen’s Gambit
1x Retrieval Run
1x Spooned
1x Stimhack
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
2x Clone Chip ☆☆ ••••
1x Net-Ready Eyes ••
2x Turntable

Resource (12)
3x Daily Casts
3x Kati Jones
3x Liberated Account
3x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder
2x Mimic
2x Yog.0 ☆☆

Program (7)
2x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
1x Medium
2x Parasite ☆☆

9 influence spent (max 15-6=9)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Chrome City

It loses some of the things that made the deck what it was, but has been ok so far. I did retain 2 Clone Chips. Yeah, sometimes you mill them and that sucks, but you also do get them pretty often, in which case they’re one of the key cards in your deck. I swapped out the old Knifed for a Forked. My reasoning here is due to the way things have shifted, there are simply Ichi’s everywhere, and they are awful to deal with. I think Forked, which had been the worst cutlery before, is going to be way better now. Architect taking the hit and not being everywhere is good for it (in fact I feel like a lot of decks splashing for it may just take Ichi), and without Parasite recursion being what it was, I’m expecting to see more of the low strength high subroutine sentries coming back (things like Komainu and such, which I’ve already seen way more of). Spooned is of course there for Turing and Tollbooth, both of which are troublesome when left around long term.

I’m still not totally sold on it, and it will take more testing, but since I really love playing MaxX (and not Siphony MaxX), I’m going to keep working on it, and hopefully can find something that really works. I don’t want to just totally give up my favorite deck/runner.

3 Likes

For some reason I thought it is @SimonMoon, one of you guys needs to change your avatar now.
Or fight over to decide who loves MaxX more.

I don’t like RegAss MaxX post NAPD, I rely so heavily on 3 clonechip and legwork. 2 is not enough for me, not in this rush/grail world.

2 Likes

I just realized he is not @SimonMoon !

I think we might need to totally evaluate Reg-Ass (interpreted as not DLR, Keyhole, Apocalypse etc.) MaxX post-MWL & here’s my best shot. It doesn’t resemble @mediohxcore’s original list at all, but has none of the bad stuff & is powerful. I was kind of shocked at how well it played for me at a GNK today (4-0).

When the Levy Breaks…

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (18)

Hardware (2)

Resource (13)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (7)

• 2x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
  • 2x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
  • 1x Medium (Core Set)
  • 2x Trope (Old Hollywood)

14 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

There’s a long write-up on NRDB & yes, I know a small GNK is not a relevant sample size. Still, the deck felt powerful & fast in the same way Reg-Ass MaxX did post O&C. I’m cautiously hopeful.

The idea is that, with Parasite-Clone Chip on the MWL, Faust is the most abusive, overpowered card available to Anarchs. So let’s draw three cards per turn without spending a click & break everything. End board state is Faust, Wyldpancakes, Kati, SOTs at the ready (for Levy or multi-access), whatever supplemental breakers you need. MaxX helps the deck get there by turn 5 or 6 reliably, which is maybe why it’s not a Quetzal deck. I don’t know, maybe it’s a Quetzal deck.

I was Wyldsiding Maxx with Faust with 3 Levy @45. 2 Levy @57.

I would drop pancakes in this, put suckers and change Yog into Mimic.

Droping Day Jobs too, with Pancake, that’s too conditional.

I used Brain Cage x1 / Public Sympathy x2 and Parasites too (but now with MWL, I don’t know)

Nice! I’ll have to go back and take a look at that.

I’ll have to check out some of these changes, I see some value in Datasucker (saves a card in several situations, stretches the fixed-strength breaker support a bit more) but the MU might get tight. I’m not sure Yog can be cut with Turing everywhere but maybe I’m misjudging MWL’s effect on Foodcoats & HB glacier will recede.

Cards that increase hand size feel like a trap to me, they don’t do much other than save a discard once or twice a game. I burn through cards as I draw them so the limit isn’t problematic. That said, this list started as a cybernetics one with Brain Cage/NRE/Chrome Parlor (Willingdone’s “worst runner card of the year” so obviously I was onto something then :smile: ).

I’d ignore syntax, but the deck looks like the direction that I wanted to take MaxX, and I think its probably correct. I was playing a much much worse version of the deck, but the raw power of MaxCakes just gets you there a lot of the time. If I want anything in the deck that’s not there it might just be one of each cutlery since you’re only on knifed. With SoT it allows you to pressure servers a bit better when on faust, which is important since your hand size will only ever be so big.

I was also on trope in my testing and it was kind of meh, but it’s a nice safety valve and if it runs long enough is a mini levy, which should be helpful.

I do not endorse this deck, but its what I was running for funsies (its also why I’m not posting it into the thread): http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/537155

I was winning a ton of games that I shouldn’t have. But, yeah, what you posted is where I would have ended up if I’d been thinking like a spike instead of a johnny.

I had tried one each of the cutlery originally, with much the same thinking; I’ll be able to get to the right one, whether with SoT or card draw, when I need it, but that just never proved to be the case. Maybe I should take a second look & there’s certainly the deck slots available with a little trimming elsewhere.

Putting tropes on a Wyldmaxx is a silly thing, I made it. And loose.

Each Larla gives you 5 (burst) - 7 (slow) turns. That would get you 1 zombi slowmode turn each 5 turns for 3 cards, 3 times only, using a clic and droping a DS.

I think in 5 turn each DS can give you more than 6 tokens.

If I remember this deck, I used heavy cuttery + anything I could find to remove ice.

Playing tower again free a larla so you can have e3.

If you play with 45 / 2 larla, grats, you will stop yourself at turn 14-15-16 or something (a little more if you don’t like IHW / Inject and without e3 or Mimic, nor real ways to insta parasuck, you like a lot to get hit by Komainu).

Playing with or without Mimic is just a matter of unremovable Architects & Swordman.

Turing was not in the meta at that moment.
It was high times of Chronos / Blacklist. It could be fun to renew this deck.

I don’t know why you guys want to make it complicated with this part before that one, and making stay a lot of things on the table while larla, this is just a stupid hammer deck.

‘ccept mine can handle komainu and is a little more potent than 8 subs 1 turn on 2, just sayin’.

Sigh.

The rest looks more or less where I’d be.

Another deck I’ve been tinkering with.

Inject Maxx

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (14)
3x Déjà Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
2x Inject
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
2x Retrieval Run
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (4)
2x Clone Chip ☆☆ ••••
2x Turntable

Resource (14)
3x Daily Casts
2x Kati Jones
3x Liberated Account
3x Same Old Thing
1x Scrubber
2x Street Peddler

Icebreaker (6)
1x Atman •••
2x Corroder
2x Mimic
1x Yog.0 ☆

Program (7)
2x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
1x Medium
2x Parasite ☆☆

10 influence spent (max 15-5=10)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

It needs some tweaks here and there, but I like the basics of it so far.

I dunno, I felt like e3 would be very valuable in the HB matchup, saving a card against most of their ICE. Given that I’ve never needed it, yeah the two influence are probably better spent elsewhere. What’s the greatest need though? 2x Career Fair? A second Scavenge?

Seeing people turn back to Retrieval Run makes me wonder how to milk additional value out of it. I loved Morningstar in my older Inject MaxX lists; is it worth a look or too ridiculous? It’s silly good against NEXT Silver, which might make a comeback. Femme’s the other obvious use case but I’m not sure where the influence comes from. I like the look of a Levy, 2x CC, Yog, Atman, 2x Parasite spread.

Morning Star is amazing, but the 2 MU is an issue, especially with me running Turntable now instead of Grimoire. I won’t give up Turntable at this point, I feel like right now there’s no other Anarch console to run in the current meta. Tonight in testing against a Sync deck, the turn after they Biotic Labored out an Astro, I Injected, which got me my Clone Chip to get Medium to dig, and installed a Turntable off of a Street Peddler, landing a Quantum to trade for the Astro. Pretty sweet.

The value out of Retrieval Run thing is always good to consider. The only programs I really want to get with RR in this deck are probably my breakers, and in that case, RR is only more expensive than Corroder. So it’s not horrible to play usually, and if you can get a sucker token out of it too, all the better. It could probably be a 1x card, this will all take more tweaking, but as I said, I’m liking it in theory.

RR can be as simple as archives pressure and a datasucker on successful run. Often a datasucker is roughly 1cr, which makes it like a clone chip in some regards (cost wise mostly), but it can get you anything. Maybe you have no programs in your heap, but you have faust on board, does the corp rez? Probably not, you faust away a morningstar or femme, and pick it up for 3 bones…pretty great lol.

2 Likes

Faust + Ret Run + Code Siphon to pull out your rig quickly is something I’m looking at in MaxX. If you are running Ret Run, it surely can’t be a problem to run 1 Corroder and 1 Morningstar can it?

The problem with code siphon is you pretty much need to go tag me to get value from it (though ddos is kinda funny), so how do you get value from being tagged (DLR?), and how do you pay for what you’re doing, since you can’t really run resources.

When maxx was first spoiled, before Regular Maxx was fully established, I made a Maxx deck that had a great winrate last year in store champs that ran on big breakers, but faust wasn’t out. Maybe I can revisit that.

Do you have to go Tag me with Code Siphon? It only gives you one tag. And if you’re already using efficient breakers and Faust I’m sure you can spare a couple credits to clear that tag.

But then why run code siphon if you’re adding a click and 2 cr to every use? Its pretty much exactly a risky SMC that you can’t be reactive with. Also vs Sync its 3cr (and people do play sync).

1 Like

Fair enough. The idea was just to help pull your programs out so you don’t have to lean on your Ret Runs as much. I haven’t tested it at all, it was just a thought.