Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

http://images.bwbx.io/cms/2013-10-22/1022-thunderdome-630x420.jpg

Except with cards.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing with an Apocalypse MaxX deck that Iā€™ve been having a lot of fun with, and now I want to see if I can make it into a serious tournament deck:

So far the main things that I am worried about are Crisium Grid, and Turing on central servers, Iā€™ve included 1x Faust to deal with ICE that I need to break through to access a central and trash Crisium Grid. I added a single Parasite to deal with Turing on central servers, though I suppose a Yog.0 would make more sense, particularly given how common Enigma and Quandary have become.

I had previously run 1x Employee Strike, but cut it for the Parasite/Yog.0 influence.

Asset spam IG can be a challenge, but between Apocalypse and Hacktivist, I can generally keep them in check.

Any thoughts? Any major weaknesses I seem to have overlooked? Does anyone still play MaxX?

I have been playing wyldcakes MaxX for that past few months and really liked it. I dropped Yog.0 and am very close to dropping corroder because of knifed. I still think it is powerful, but chronos hurts much worse. However blacklist is easy to deal with since Faust gets through everything.

MaxX has been my runner of choice since regionals of last year, and I will probably keep playing her this season too.

When people are not teching against it (aka now), DLR MaxX is the best deck in Netrunner and not by a small margin. It has a few just awful matchups, but those matchups get wrecked by Noise so nobody is playing them.

Itā€™s also not a easy deck to piolet by any means, but probobly not as hard as something like HyperKate. There is some variance involved, but it has the most sheer power of any deck out there. You will also get lists of concessions :smiley:

My only regret is RegAss MaxX itself is dead.That always hurts me when I think about it.

5 Likes

I was playing Wyldcakes Maxx on one GNK (4 of 4 wins) and a Store Championship (3 wins in swiss (+ one split), then 1 win and 2 losses in top, 2nd place in the end). My two losses were to NEH. One because of spending tons of credits to trash 3 jacksons and 1 TS. Second in finals - cause I milled literally all my burst ecoā€¦ Also, the list was not optimal - 50 cards. I was forced to cut 1 Career Fair to Yog, cause I canā€™t otherwise pass through Turing on centrals. But in the end, I havenā€™t played against a single Foodcoats, lol. Only against one ETF with NEXT ICEs. Corroder was also not very useful. Medium won me a game against IG, allowing to see a lot of cards and find agendas (still it was a 50 minutes game). Here is the list:

Copy of E3 Cakes 2 (50 cards)

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (21)
2 Career Fair ā€¢ā€¢
3 Deja Vu
2 Dirty Laundry
1 Forked
3 Iā€™ve Had Worse
1 Knifed
1 Legwork ā€¢ā€¢
2 Levy AR Lab Access ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢
1 Retrieval Run
1 Spooned
3 Sure Gamble
1 The Makerā€™s Eye ā€¢ā€¢

Hardware (3)
1 E3 Feedback Implants ā€¢ā€¢
2 Turntable

Resource (17)
2 Adjusted Chronotype
3 Daily Casts
3 Data Folding
3 Liberated Account
3 Same Old Thing
3 Wyldside

Icebreaker (6)
1 Corroder
3 Faust
1 Mimic
1 Yog.0

Program (3)
2 D4v1d
1 Medium

Built with http://meteor.stimhack.com/

I missed it too, man! It was my favourite archetype throughout the whole history of the game! Helped me to win one Nationals and to take 3 and 4 place on two others. Still, I love the ID and will keep playing with it. Probably wil try DLR now. Although donā€™t know how it stands against IG with all that recursion and a lot of net damage, hitting our combo pieces with the new toy - Bio-Ethics Association.

Iā€™ve been playing Reg Ass again a lot recently. Will be taking it to regionals this Saturday. After a long time away, Iā€™ve started finding success with it again, so weā€™ll see how it goes. I donā€™t think itā€™s the best thing I could bring right now, but itā€™s my favorite thing to play, and I love MaxX, so Iā€™m going for it.

I tried the DLR MaxX idea out, it was a pretty cool deck!

I understand why people assume it is a non-interactive deck, but it really does require a lot of setup and management of the corp to keep their board state under control while MaxX sets up the DLR. Once I turn on the DLR, I can mill pretty hard for a couple of turns before the corp can either trash the DLR, or force a score. Itā€™s kinda like playing Noise the way you force the corp to try scoring when they donā€™t have the set up they want, making a steal easier than it would otherwise be.

Also like Noise, playing it as a solitaire game is the right way to lose. Itā€™s still netrunner, there is still interplay between runner and corp, but with a powerful scent of Doom in the air if the corp lets the DLR assemble.

1 Like

I <3 Apocalypse MaxX. I am always surprised no one runs immolation script in that build. Between Keyhole and Apocalypse, you will get some amazing mileage out of that one card. Even recurring it a few times is worth it!

Have the singularities been worthwhile? I had cut these a while back in favor of some cutlery. That was also pre mwl, which allowed me to run x2/x3 parasites.

Killing ice is just so oppressive in denial decks.

1 Like

I play a lot of Apoc MaxX and won a SC with it, and my only concern with your list is your ability to deal with Turing on centrals or Swordsman. Parasite is an answer for either I suppose, but with only one that is a slow and unreliable answer, I would also hate to Deja or Retrieval Run for just one Parasite.

My list runs some cutlery as Myriad suggested; and Immolation Script could be good too. I think Yog.0 is the better move, and possibly a Mimic if you think Swordsman is a thing. Or go somewhere in the middle and grab Femme :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t think the 1 of Faust is a bad idea if you are really concerned with Crisium. My experience has been that the decks that run it usually only have 1 or 2 of them, and they have to see it before you start brutalizing centrals and just keeping them poor and relentlessly keyholing them. If they manage to see it that early, lucky them, otherwise I havenā€™t found it to be as much of a pain as you might think.

In terms of what to cut, I guess I would say Run Amok would be my first cut, I like the card, and Iā€™ve played it in various iterations of the deck, but it just ends up being a 3 credit inside job, which I suppose isnā€™t awful for Anarchs, but no one ever rezes with it unless they have nothing else protecting the remote theyā€™re trying to score from; and in my experience lately, decks that play rush/glacier of any sort have a back of plan besides just ICE since ICE is unreliable with the prevalence of ICE destruction. This could also be a playstyle thing and if you really like Run Amok keep it, but that would be my suggestion. Otherwise your list is nearly identical to mine currently.

I fully plan to play MaxX at at least one of the regionals I attend, and most likely all of them. Represent! :smile:

I use Singularity a lot to kill advanced agendas I canā€™t access, or PE-style traps that I donā€™t want to take a chance on. Itā€™s expensive, 4c and an extra click, but itā€™s good remote pressure that can be used with Eater.

Run Amok is the other remote pressure card, particularly when paired with DDoS it can open up a remote, and even give up access.

Yes, where it not for MWL, Iā€™d be using parasite and/or Datasucker in these slots. The lack of ICE destruction (other than Apocalypse) pushes this deck to run fast before servers can get too built up.

Yes, Run Amok is great until the corp has defensive upgrades, then itā€™s pretty weak. I never look to it for ICE destruction, but rather as a way to gain access with Eater as my primary breaker. Itā€™s still a pretty uncommon card, so most corps arenā€™t certain what to do with it, but the right answer is generally to not rez ICE, which puts it all down to the upgrades.

Singularity works better against defensive upgrades that arenā€™t Caprice. Iā€™ve been on the fence about including both Singularity and Run Amok. Even though Singularity is very expensive, I think it is probably better than Run Amok.

Edit: Crisium has been pretty big in my meta, I expect most decks to pack 1 as protection against siphon spam, Keyhole, and medium digs. I really with Singularity could work on central server upgrades. The single Faust also provides access to Archives to close out the game, or any shallow server I may be able to break into.

Iā€™ve considered Immolation Script, but the ICE I most often want to kill is often a singleton (e.g. Swordsman).

I like the idea of Femme, since she does solve both Turing and Swordsman, but she is very expensive to install. Iā€™ll probably test it out, since I she can also solve curtain wall on a central or other obnoxious ICE that I donā€™t want to deal with.

Iā€™m very interested in your list!

If it doesnā€™t change in the next few days before Regionals, itā€™s:

Event

2x Deja Vu
3x Iā€™ve Had Worse
3x Sure Gamble
1x Retrieval Run
1x Knifed
1x Spooned
1x Stimhack
1x Queenā€™s Gambit
1x Levy AR Lab Access

Hardware

2x Clone Chip
2x Turntable

Program

2x Corroder
2x Mimic
1x Yog
1x Atman
2x D4V1D
2x Datasucker
2x Parasite
1x Medium

Resource

3x Kati Jones
3x Liberated Accounts
3x Daily Casts
3x Same Old Thing
2x Scrubber

4 Likes

Yeah if you expect lots of Crisium then Faust becomes even better. I run Corroder and Mimic in my build so my ability to access archives usually isnā€™t a problem, but as a replacement Faust seems good. As I said, they still have to find the Crisium and they can only stop one thing, HQ or R&D.

Singularity seems fun I may have to try it again, it has been a while, could be really good against IG bull crap too when the trash cost gets out of control.

One iteration of my deck had two Run Amok and the SC I brought it to it was only relevant once, but definitely not useless, I think it is a play style thing for sure.

Femme is great for a lot of situations, I almost never hard install it, usually just retrieval run, it can also be the answer for one piece of ICE protecting archives :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah Apoc MaxX is so much fun. Its probably pretty alright in the meta right now. I donā€™t think it stacks up well against Blue Sun glacier and Traditional Foodcoats though. Not that either are particularly popular right nowā€¦

Maybe its time again.

Iā€™ve been experimenting with both Apoc MaxX, and DLR MaxX. Both have been pretty powerful, but DLR is less vulnerable to Crisium Grid and is difficult to shut down. In the time that it is running, it can cripple or destroy a corp, which feels pretty brutal. Apoc is as close to a table flip as one can get in Netrunner.

I usually have to apologize after using either.

Does Councilman possibly help this match up? I know deck slots are tight.

I feel like Councilman in situations like trying to pull off an Apocalypse against a deck with Crisium Grid generally doesnā€™t work, because if you install it that turn you donā€™t have the clicks (without getting extra clicks from an effect), and if you install it before they can pre-rez their Crisium, correct?

2 Likes

Its not for the apocalypse. Its to get a siphon or keyhole hit off.

It also means you can deny the corp a return on their investment if they try to offshore some credits on a siphon hit.

Finally it allows you to further tax the corp, costing them a click and two credits to trash. This is something that has actually been really great for me with Joshua B in my builds. If he gives me a click and then dies, I am usually way ahead on the math. Especially if they are struggling to keep their head above water.