Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

So I just got home from our Florida regional, where I played the Reg MaxX list I posted above. I ended up coming in second out of twenty-nine people (went undefeated through the winners bracket before unfortunately dropping both games in the finals against a very skilled opponent).

My losses on the day as MaxX was one game against IG in swiss (unfortunately for this build I find it to be maybe the worst matchup in the game, haha) and against Museum RP in the finals, where I milled tons of early economy then got hit with Cerebral Static, and it turns out MaxX kind of sucks when she canā€™t MaxX.

Itā€™s a good deck. It obviously isnā€™t as high power as the pre-MWL build. But it probably never will be. That was a deck that was incredibly powerful but difficult to play, and this one is even harder to play well. There are a few changes I would make to it after the day, but Iā€™ll continue working on it, because hey, I love Reg MaxX.

4 Likes

Keep us updated as your list changes. Iā€™ve been playing a few random games on Jnet with the build you posted, and itā€™s been a blast. I miss the old Reg-Ass days.

Awesome! Iā€™m testing now with -1 Scrubber and -1 Atman replacing them with +1 NRE +1 Parasite. But I have to take a break for a bit, haha. After all the regionals practice, then playing at regionals, I need to recover.

2 Likes

Congratulations!Against IG most of time it does feels like auto-loss for this deck though.Letā€™s see what would happen after this IG madness.

Thank you! I would have loved to win so Reg MaxX could be put on the front page here so people could see itā€™s possible, but I am very proud to have come in second with a deck type that most people wrote off as completely dead.

I think the whole IG craze will blow over. Most of the people I know who have played it admit that itā€™s not actually that much fun to play, even though it often has success. I think in the end most people end up playing the things they actually enjoy playing, after all this is a game. IG is the deck that has gotten the most new toys the most recently. Iā€™ve already seen people putting in the specific hate cards against IG, and even though it can overcome them it makes the game an even greater slog, leading to more and more boring games.

2 Likes

What about paperclip in Reg-Ass Maxx?

Itā€™s certainly a great card for the build, and is an easy swap for Corroder. The deck itself though is still a struggle, especially with the extra influence hit of D4V1D now. I have a post Blood Money list made, and am willing to try it out a lot, since I obviously love the archetype.

2 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for what I assume is a full suite of paperclip style breakers to come out and play Maxx again. Gonna splash temujin because that card is insane with influence youā€™re saving.

2 Likes

Even if we only get Paperclip and the partially spoiled Black Orchestra, 2 of 3 breakers will do a TON for making Minimum Punk Rock reliable again. Iā€™m holding off until then, but I am really eager to give it a try. Temujin is bonkers econ, but I even think that might be a stretch. Currently thinking along the lines of LARLA, 2 CC, 3 Parasite, 2 D4, +1. Maybe drop a parasite, get a Scavenge in there. Stimhack should pull a lot of weight in the setup econ department.

Me too. And Iā€™m calling the deck OfficeMaxX. I invite everyone to do this =)

8 Likes

Paperclip is a reference to Operation Paperclip - Wikipedia, so the other breaker(s) arenā€™t themed Office.

1 Like

Sadly with CtM around I think the resurrection of beloved RegAss MaxX is not viable IMO.I hope you may prove me wrong.

I know, but Iā€™m calling it OfficeMaxX anyhow =P

3 Likes

Temujin gives the money to make the deck function. I did well at Brooklyn Strat the other day with three Temujin in Maxx, with no out-of-faction recursion. I canā€™t imagine itā€™s as competitive as Gramble Scrub, but I think reg-ass Maxx is relatively strongā€“stronger at least than I would have guessed at first.

1 Like

I tried the same thing. Seems solid so far. You can get paperclip, rumor mill and temujin in one deck for some pretty good efficiency. I had 1 spare influence so I swapped the 3rd temujin for clone chip. Unsure whether thatā€™s the right choice just yet. I still need to play-test some more, but the one game I tried it worked pretty well.

Just won a store champ with this. It does pretty well against the current corp meta. CTM is the hardest but itā€™s still about 50/50.

5 Likes

I Really like the deck. I had the same idea but for money i went PPVP with deuces wild. I might change 1 scrubber for a salsette slums. Otherwise, i love it. It feels like the breakers are Maxx her breakers instead of Nullā€™s.

1 Like

Just read the top-of-thread article for the first time. It is interesting that two years ago Anarchs were struggling to gain traction as a competitive faction.

2 Likes

Ah yesā€¦back when we thought ā€œinconsistentā€ was part of the orange color pie.

1 Like

Right around Order & Chaos was actually when they started to turn the corner. Though that box really only had Eater, Iā€™ve Had Worse, and the IDs in terms of cards that saw lots of play.