Hayley Kaplan: Click Decompression

I’ve played Spy Hayley for a bit this Store Championship season (even won one of them with it). I didn’t face Prison in my meta, but I’m not sure if it really has a bad match-up against Prison.

Yes, you won’t be able to contest early assets, but once you have your set-up (3-5 turns), the amount of money you make is insane. And you play 3 Levy’s, 3 Hoppers, and can substitute a Deus X for one of the Sharpshooters. You can get into any server and make money doing so, so you can reset archives against IG and handle big ice like Crick, DNA Tracker and Komainu without tempo loss. You can also clicklessly check R&D for agendas and not waste clicks that you need for keeping the board in check.

I actually think it’s the opposite, Russian NEH, and CtM seem tougher than Jinteki Prison. Not only are they likely to be able to rush faster than Hayley can keep up, they can also mess with your resources.

Why do you think Prison Jinteki is tougher than NBN asset spam?

2 Likes

I haven’t played it a lot, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Taking the early net damage from Bioethics and HI will mill cards that you need to set up and cost early credits cams doesn’t have. Without the setup, cams doesn’t really have an economy and firing the first Levy with only 1/2 of the combo engine running will leave you slow.

Ark Lockdown can hit Levy (or 2x Levy) in the bin, which can limit your ability to run and tank damage. If you don’t run SoT seeing your last Levy hit the bin can basically set up gg.

If I could pick the cards I was losing to net damage and mills, then I think I could weather the matchup fine. However, sometimes you just lose the wrong pieces at the wrong time and can’t adapt to losing certain cards.

Any of these decks going fast and aggressive are dangerous, but once the cams combo is set up, the game quickly becomes oppressive and favors the runner across the board (none deal with clot clock very well). I just think that NEH and Sleeper is less likely to score out by turn 6 than PU is able to pick apart parts of the combo and delay the setup until turn 8 or later.

Any recent decklists of cams hayley? Was my favorite runner deck for a really long time. I’m curious of what people ended up settling for the flex slots–I really liked running hyperdriver, but there were a lot of different things people were using. And that was before beth, mad dash, and maybe some other useful cards (I was playing it right before CTM came out…).

Alright, it looks like we’ve narrowed down what type of Jinteki Prison. It sounds like you’re mostly talking about PU. If you don’t run, the only card that can hit you for damage that I know of in PU is Bio-Ethics. So if you focus on getting up your combo (Replicator, Bazaar) and some number of Traders and Writers and at least one Camera, you’re pretty safe. As you know, it only takes 6 credits to get it up, so with your pretty much able to go from the beginning, you just need to draw the pieces. So most of the time, you’re installing the pieces as soon as you draw them.

Against PU you might get unlucky and they mill one of the pieces, but you have to be careful not fall for the Milling Fallacy: the cards they mill may actually get you closer to the card you want to set up or they’re not much different from being at the bottom of the deck. Plus most of you combo has duplicates, and you can survive early on 3-4 copies of Tech Traders/Writers (out of the 6 total copies) before you Levy to get the rest back.

Ark Lockdown is a pain and PU will likely run it, but they likely don’t have influence to run more than one. So, you have to play smart and if you see one Levy in the bin and you have one in grip, go ahead and play it early. Or draw for another copy before it gets hit.

TL/DR - I think the PU Prison match-up can be improved with decision-making during the game.

@coffeeyay - I put a link to my list a few posts up.

1 Like

I always need time to setup. And some decks won’t let me. Against CTM i want to trash the sensie. But it costs time and money to contest the sensie AND prepare for HHN. Against Jinteki i have to do stuff to not die (rp prison, Bio, Ronin) and that also costs time. And i need that to setup. Al the while they mill cards I need. Maybe i just play Cams wrong, but I always need a lot of time to setup. Are there videos where i can see someone play Cams right in a recent meta?

So yeah, if they play netrunner, hayley is a good choice i think, but if they don’t, then it’s shit. (My opinion can be changed though.)

Why on the lam? Would you change it with Marron? is 1 Current enough? No Film Critic? How do you deal with Midseason/tagging decks?

Would you play Misdirection for that?

In my limited experience the prison matchup is rough but very winnable. The targeted cams access instead of multi access doesn’t allow for the deep dig that usually wins those types of games but the FTE/Mad Dash combo means I’ve won a decent number of games with just two steals. Having to wait for an agenda to show up probably results in too high of variance to be tier 1 but it is a really fun deck to play.

1 Like

The way I see it, you have 3 flex influence for match-ups: 2 from Clot, and 1 from PolOp (from @kiv’s list).

So, it’s really a meta call on which match-up’s to shore up. I cover it in the description of my list, but I’ll put it here as well:

On the Lam - Best way to deal with Accelerated BOOM! combo, which was pretty common in this area this SC season. Also, helps against Breaking News EoI, Mushin Overwriter, and Ronin. This was the slot for Clot, but I was expecting more degenerate Corps, than FA Corps.

Basically, I was expecting a lot of Railgun and CI7 at the top tables, that’s why I included On the Lam and Eden Shard.

Aaron is a fine choice. The problem I see with him in Spy Hayley is that you need him out early to take advantage of him. You need access to at least 2 copies, and that makes it tough on influence. I have briefly tried on copy of Aaron and one Hostage (which also helps get the last Trader if you don’t need Aaron early), and that’s been promising. But, I had to cut one Camera to fit it in.

Which current would you worry about? Targeted Marketing is the only one is a problem that I can think of, and you’re not likely to win a current battle against Sol. You can still win with this deck if you let the Corp have lots of credits, you’ll still have a lot as well.

Midseason is not a concern. I chose this deck to have a good match-up against a rushy Blue Sun deck that can often get to 30+ credits in the first few turns. They can usually get to 4-5 points before you can beat the Midseason, but then they cannot score anymore. Film Critic will only be useful (for now) for TFP and Haarpsichord, which I don’t see often. TFP may be a concern if you’re seeing a lot of RP or IG Prison.

TL/DR - Basically the deck has a few flex spots and influence that can help against most problem match-ups, but there’s not enough of them to have a good match-up against all decks. Choose wisely.

Making News D2D turn one is a bitch. So i thought E-strike, because it also solves Haarp, PE, PU,…

But i guess you are right. Although it might be interesting to improve set-up time. For me it all depends on that.

Do you think that Cams Hayley is the best Hayley right now?

Yeah, I’ve heard of MN D2D, but haven’t had the pleasure (or displeasure) yet. Maybe during the second pass of the deck, you keep the Sports Hoppers instead of using them? That’ll give you 3 link to face those traces.

It really comes down to the meta. If the meta requires a lot of credits in the early-mid game and huge volume overall, Spy Hayley is the way to go. If you need more flexibility and different tools for a lot of match-ups, (I think we’re trending that way), then some kind of Aesop’s build works great. I’ve always been partial to Pawn Hayley. @tmoiynmwg had a neat deck he used in the Top Deck Team Showdown, so I think it’s still viable. I’m not sure if he posted his list anywhere.

Inspired by Timmy’s Topdeck build, I retooled Pitchfork.

8 Likes

I played MN D2D and had probably the worst, most oppressive experience I’ve ever had playing a game of Netrunner. Granted, my deck was not adequately set up with enough economy, and I was testing a new deck idea. But it was just miserable.

1 Like

I Really like the new pitchfork, but how do you deal with turn 1 scarcity of recources?

Poorly. 10char

4 Likes

I agree that FTE + Mad Dash is the best tool available for fighting prison. Compressing the game to 2 scores helps a lot.

I think rough but winnable is a fair assessment.

3 Likes

I tried your build, and i liked it very much. Much more than cams. It’s thinky but has a solution for almost anything. Good news is that with the impending MWL we have some influence to spare. With the fan site/colony we could go down to 1 sifr. You can hayley it with clone chip if need be. 2 Parasite is nice, but with Egret coming, also not needed. We could go down to 1 i suppose. That frees up lots of influence without losing the consistancy me thinks.

As mentioned Egret could replace parasite’s rol. Not destroying ice, but making r&d more accessible if you point Cy-Cy on R&D.

I tried replacing the R&D-interfaces with Equivocation and it’s amazing! It’s tutorable, more consistant and cheaper. Also helps with snares in jinteki. Frees up deckslots. Also if R&D is not open anymore we can Aesops it for profit. I replaced the 2 RDI with 2 Levy’s so i can have more game and have more parasites (if they don’t ark it)

What’s your thoughts on this?

2 Likes

But then you’re only ever accessing 2 cards at most from R&D. With 2-3 RDIs out you do 3-4. Are your R&D runs really so efficient that you can make enough runs to compensate?

1 Like

most of the time, i parasite the ice away + cy-cy = very efficient runs. Most of the time i get 3/4 runs. if i expect snare, i don’t run last click. Otherwise i see 3-6 cards. a turn. With RDI i access snare and maybe cards that i’m not able to trash. With Equi i have the ability to not access a card and put it in the corps hand.

1 Like

Take a look at this. I think Sifr at 4INF is pretty untenable, especially when shoehorning in 3INF Parasites.

This build goes back to D4 as the big ICE answer. No Parasite can lead to problem ICE like Tour Guide being a nightmare. However, there are more actual breakers in here, and the 3rd Cache. With PS/AD not being a huge issue, Councilman can become PolOp, to help with glacier.

2 Likes

Just took down a GNK with this list. I think Pitchfork is alive and well. Thanks @spags!

Edit: I think Sifr + Parasite is way better than D4 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes