If Stimhack were to ask for donations

Personally I’m most interested in apparel. That’s more a Kickstarter thing than a donation thing, maybe.

Oh! I understand, I read your comment differently than you meant.

Yes, I generally agree with you. At a serious event, I would probably just take my basic art cards to be safe anyway - even as back-ups if I really wanted alt-art Kate or something.

As long as you have the real card (ID or non-ID), it shouldn’t be an issue. But technically it could be an issue at any FFG sanctioned event. FAQ: “All Android: Netrunner cards produced by Fantasy Flight Games are legal for tournament play (unless banned). No other cards or proxy cards are permitted”

Most players probably won’t care, but if there is only one asshat at any ffg event (even GNKs), they could make a fuss about it. And they would be right. Unless stimhack of course can make a deal with ffg about using their printers…

Give me a Nice avatar or swag title and there will be money flowing in monthly. Shows dedication to the forum without any elite bullcrap, just support out of love

1 Like

If you’re doing apparel, http://teespring.com is pretty great and less involved than Kickstarter IMO.

1 Like

By the way, does disabling adblock at Stimhack help?

Not enough to be worth doing

Well, if it’s a GNK, the TO can tell that asshat to shut up and stop being an asshat. The GNK kit guidelines are very clear about TO having final say on everything.

FFG only runs 4 tournaments themselves in a given year, and they definitely did not care about my ONR Snare! at their own Store Championship or Regional this year. I think a bigger obstacle would be Regionals and Nationals run by people who aren’t actually FFG. I could totally see some of the no-fun European scenes that don’t allow any talking between rounds getting real pedantic about this kind of thing.

They also say that cards printed only by FFG (and their partners) are allowed.

What’s the problem anyways? Just take the original card with you so that you can swap them if a problem arises.

1 Like

The problem is as follows:

Let’s say I access R&D, and I’m pretty quick to say “nope” or “steal” for every other card I’ve accessed before the game. This time, the card’s a card with custom art. It will take me a slightly longer time to read what the card is because it’s not the a card as exists in Netrunner. This is partially one of the reasons that foreign cards can be a problem, there’s no way for a newer player to ask what the card says without giving away that they know what it is.

Of course, the problem’s there far worse for Corps, but what about Runner? Well, with Runner, there are still some (though very few and not super competitive) cards that let the Corp know some hidden information (such as Data Hound). Even though Data Hound is not exactly the best card, allowing altered cards on the Runner side would make it worse for people that did play Data Hound.

I don’t think altered cards are suitable for Netrunner, because it creates a weird dynamic where if your opponent is using a card that has been altered or is different, you have to be able to read it with a poker-face without giving away what it is. I don’t think that this sort of thing has a place in Netrunner. You shouldn’t have to decipher what card something is without giving it away to your opponent.

I’d argue it gives a (small) advantage, and it’s not a big deal at a small event, but this should be dealt with appropriately at SCs/Regionals/Nationals. Anyway, this discussion is largely fruitless. FFG have banned them, and as such they can’t be used at tournaments.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to do custom in-game stuff that isn’t custom non-ID alt arts, including:

• Custom tokens (e.g. a brain damage token teaming up with Team Covenant, similar to how Bad Publicity did a BP token with them)

• Custom dice (the Stimhack brain thing could represent 1 or something)

• Custom click trackers

I have no idea how viable the above are, but I wouldn’t want alt art cards. If I was going to get stuff like this for a donation, I’d rather it be something I can use: alt art cards would be pretty meaningless to me.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this for a while.

• Swag is good, but it’s going to slow down after an initial burst of sales, and end up at some low or moderate baseline. That probably isn’t enough to support the site.

• I and many others already support NRDB and db0 through monthly donations/Patreon with no or minimal rewards, basically because we want to support the community.

I suggest you do something like:

• Set up a Patreon with monthly subscription options, starting at a first tier where the only reward is that you don’t see ads on the site (as with NRDB).

• All subscribers get a forum badge / title, if they want it to be displayed. (Make sure you allow people to contribute without public recognition, if they so choose.)

• Higher tier subscribers get whatever other perks you can think of. A couple of ideas off the cuff:

• First crack at Stimhack swag before it gets released.

• First crack at participating in Stimhack streamers’ games, either testing or coaching. (e.g. Dan says he’s going to be streaming games to test a new deck in an hour, if any subs are around, they can volunteer to be his opponent. First come first serve.)

• The above, but for games other than Netrunner, and maybe in a “take all challengers” format. For example, Anthony could post that he’s going to be playing Prismata for a while and if any subs want to get their asses kicked they can join his game.

• Coaching streams for games other than ANR. I know people play Prismata, some are in the Duelyst beta, lots of people play Hearthstone, etc.

4 Likes

I’m here for conversation and perspective; So long as the content remains valuable and accurate I will return. But, like @kiv, it’s unlikely I’ll donate to keep a site like this running for the sake of more content. If there’s something particularly snazzy: a playmat, token holder, something else of use in game there’s a chance I might buy it (but even there I’m pretty capped out having invested in penny gems and having won/placed highly in enough tournaments). I’m uninterested in alt arts that use the netrunner frame, text or other unapproved copyrighted material.

It’s going to be really hard to get my money because my priorities are elsewhere. I will pay entry fees for tournaments though if I can make them.

Basically, don’t rely on me; but things that might turn my head are probably going to be things I can use. Of the things on your list coaching seems simultaneously the most interesting and hardest thing to offer. I’m still unlikely to pay for it though.

1 Like

So, the current plan is to do something like the following for personal pledges:

$1 - Supporter badge
$X - Custom supporter forum title
$Y - ANRPC alt-mat IDs
$Z - Streamed coaching
$? - Coupon code to Stimhack store?

and then also have goals for the aggregate, such as:

$X - Remove ads from the site
$Y - Weekly strategy articles, maybe from a short list of “Team Stimhack” writers
$Z - A free Stimhack Open tournament on Jinteki.net when spectator mode goes live

Any other ideas?

5 Likes

Looks like a pretty good start to me. I’ll keep thinking about it.

Seconded. I’m a sucker for a good-looking playmat.

Realistically though, I would probably donate money regardless of the swag, simply because I think this website is that crucial for the Netrunner scene as a whole.

I really like this idea. Would this be through Patreon or just the donate button?

Patreon, but I’m not quite sure how it would work exactly as I’m not familiar with the site. Is there a good way to do a one-time giveaway? Maybe have a certain sub level get you continuous access to new stuff we make rather than just a one off thing?

1 Like

The best thing for one time give aways is Kickstarter from my very shallow understanding of the system; but I’m not very clear on how that works for stuff like this since you aren’t aiming at a single product. My understanding is that they are hard to manage, but the pressure to figure out what your goals and stretch goals are makes you more likely to succeed in the long term

How much to get Dan to recreate the art of Inside Job IRL?

12 Likes

I think the only way to do it on patreon is to subscribe to a patronage and then cancel it after the payment is done.