Imaginary Cards

No other ice ends the run if you only have an AI installed, though. Wraparound can be broken with AI (though it’s not cheap), Turing can be broken with 3 clicks, and Swordsman doesn’t even etr. The only thing that this would be close to is a two ice combo of Swordsman and an etr ice. That and it also hoses Adam right out of the gate…

Piggy Bank
Jinteki Asset
0c, 2 trash, 2 inf

Trash: Gain 3 credits.

Simple, quick way to go from 0 to 3. Allows you to Celebrity Gift or Fundraiser in a single turn from 0. Gives your opponent a surprise when he thinks he’s siphoned you and you can’t afford to pay for your ambushes. Not likely to be used much outside of faction, as it’s basically a Beanstalk Royalties in asset form, though I suppose I could see maybe NEH or Gagarin using it since they play horizontal anyway. May not be worth the two influence for them, so it would be a decision they’d have to make.

5 Likes

This might be a bit too powerful in that the only way to safely run advanced cards against Jinteki is to bring them to 0 credits. With this out, you can rez and trash during 4.3 and they faceplant into the overwriter they thought they could trash if it didn’t turn out to be an agenda. I get that this is the point, but I actually think this would be too good for Jinteki. The runner will need to check EVERY remote before running an advanced card or get flatlined. This is way too much of a tempo hit, especially when they already had to siphon/vamp you to bring you to 0 in the first place. I just believe that if this were ever to become a card, the number of Jinteki mushin flatlines would go through the roof.

Maybe if it was 0 to trash so it would be easy for the runner to nab when not installed…

1 Like

Weyland Asset - Time bomb
Rez - 3
Trash - 3
When you rez Time Bomb, place 3 power counters on it. At the beginning of the corp player’s turn, remove 1 power counter from time bomb. When there are no counters left on time bomb, trash it and deal 2 meat damage to the runner

I really like all those ICE ideas, along with TUSK. Something like TUSK is very Criminal and very fair, since the Corp can always trash the piece of ICE it’s hosted on to get rid of TUSK. Personally I feel Criminals need something to alleviate their MU problem; they have many interesting programs that sometimes you just don’t have the MU for when running their +1 MU Consoles.

3 Likes

I think expose is the only true jinteki counter

Hey everyone, really liking this thread and thought I’d share my idea for a criminal ID, along with his console.

Jako Tsu (Criminal, Cyborg) (45/15)

CONCEPT: A devout follower of The Art Of War, Jako follows traditional principles of Chinese strategy to achieve success with his runs. Gameplay-wise, Jako uses the many successful runs of criminals to build up his breaker suite, making mid-game runs much cheaper than other runners and securing victory before the late game comes around.

ABILITY: At the start of your turn, you may chose a rezzed piece of ICE and have it gain one of BARRIER, CODE GATE or SENTRY until the end of the turn

CONSOLE: STANDARD BEARER, costs 3, +1 MU
Whenever you make a successful run, place 1 power counter on Standard Bearer
Whenever you make an unsuccessful run, remove all power counters from Standard Bearer
Every ICEBREAKER has +1 strength for each power counter on Standard Bearer

What do you think?

What if Blacklist was a Current? I feel like it would accomplish the same goals FFG had for printing Blacklist without being in the same awkward position blacklist is in as an asset.

Hits Levy and Clone Chip (as well as others, sorry Exile, you don’t deserve this) which should solve a lot of more problematic builds that have been around and possibly take some cards off the MWL. (Pre-Paid Kate isn’t as vicious when the event econ can’t be endlessly recurred, Faust actually has a downside if you can’t just reshuffle every time it runs our of food)

Anyway, as always, I’m too wordy, here’s the card:

Civil Forfeiture
Neutral - Influence:1(?) - Cost: 1
Operation - Current
This card is not trashed until another current is played or an agenda is stolen.
Cards cannot leave the Runner’s heap for any reason.
“What do we have here? Parasite scripts? Prepaid VoicePADs? I’m sorry, we’ll need to be taking this ‘Evidence’” - NAPD Officer

1 Like

The ability on the runner, seems more shaper than Criminal to me. The console is very cool, but probably completely broken with fixed strength breakers and run econ (I mean more so than desperado). Together they would certainly be way too strong. I do really like the theme however, and it may well be balanceable.

Well I guess the idea with the console is that if you can’t get in, you won’t get the counters, so if you’re only running fixed strength breakers you’ll get screwed when higher strength ice comes along. It’s meant to synergise with the high amount of runs the criminal ends up making, to win in the mid game. The ID is meant to help with that, to get around gear-checks in the mid game and win there. Criminal’s natural weaknesses in the late game helps balance this out so he’ll fall off hard in the late game.

…That’s the idea anyway, not sure how it would work in practice. Thanks for the feedback anyway!

I agree that the console is too powerful as-is. Maybe make the ability cost a power token? That would still be extremely powerful (once you have 3+ tokens and a rig, it’s really hard to make an unsuccessful run) but would at least have a limit.

The runner is cool. It’s a Kit-like ability, but limited to a rezzed ICE instead of the first ICE you encounter. It is quite powerful, though. Maybe reduce the influence to 12 to compensate?

That might work, yeah

While basically true, a Tennin deck could bait you into running the (now known) advanced trap to turn off ToL nonesense, then they spring it on you because of that card. I still stand by my assertion that it would be a HUGE boon to Jinteki.

First of all, love the ideas for both the console and runner.

The Subtype changing has been exclusively Shaper so far but Tag dodging had been very Criminal and Jesminder got printed so you should be fine (I’m not bitter, I swear…) Limiting to Rezzed ice is the correct choice. Can’t say if it needs Inf reduced or not.

I think the console is a very interesting idea but definitely too powerful as is. The problem would be, once you get enough power tokens, there really is no way to fail the run ad lose them, especially with AI’s as backup.

Token farming would be immensely easy with any open remote, 1 full turn of clicks gets you +4 Str on all breakers.

Possible fixes / changes would be only generating the tokens on Central successes, increasing install costs, or having to spend the tokens to boost strength.

Here are some ideas:
Standard Bearer
Criminal - Influence 5 (This cannot hit Anarch) Cost- 4
Hardware-Console
+1 MU
Whenever you make a successful run on a Central Server, place 1 power counter on Standard Bearer
Whenever you make an unsuccessful run, remove all power counters from Standard Bearer
During a run on a central server, each ICEBREAKER has +1 strength for each power counter on Standard Bearer

Standard Bearer
Criminal - Influence 5 Cost- 9
Hardware-Console
+1 MU
During a run, each ICEBREAKER has +1 strength for each power counter on Standard Bearer

Standard Bearer
Criminal - Influence 4 Cost- 3
Hardware-Console
+1 MU
Remove a power token: Each ICEBREAKER has +1 strength for each power counter on Standard Bearer for the remainder of the turn

Just some quick sketchups. Lots of Potential here. Great ideas!

2 Likes

Weyland
Upgrade - Region - Unique (maybe)
4 Rez - 2 Trash
3 influence

ICE protecting this server cannot have their strength lowered

Hmm, interesting ID. Rush decks are already in a bad spot, so I actually think it would make more sense (and be more synergistic with criminal cards) if the ice had to be UNrezzed.

The ability as written prevents you from stopping a rush for one turn and then completely shuts it down with a single breaker out. The ability as I’ve written it prevents the rush behind an unrezzed ice with any breaker, but once it’s rezzed the rush can continue until you find the appropriate one. If you want to keep using the ability, you can use one of the myriad criminal tools for derezzing ice. Of course, this means that by late game, you effectively don’t have an ability, but that just means it’s no worse than any start of game abilities.

The console, as others have said, is completely broken as written ESPECIALLY with Jako’s ability as written. Get this out early game and run, run, run. Having to spend counters would be one thing, but even then, any asset heavy corp is going to hate life. Restricting it to centrals on both the successful runs and usage (as V0id suggested) is a great start.

1 Like

They all seem playable and lack the “one console per player” which is easy to fix. The first one is probly closest to one they would print, maybe at 5 cost. It seems a little less good than Desperado, which is about where they are trying to print from consoles right now.

Really great ideas guys - thanks a lot.
The first idea for the console definitely seems the most appropriate. High-cost consoles are a big no-go in netrunner from what I’ve seen (Blackguard, Toolbox, Monolith), so the second option is a bad idea, and I think removing counters for what is basically cyber-morale would be a bit weird, as well as the third idea is basically just IT department for runner. The first idea also ties well into the central-focused theme of criminal.
I also like the change for the ID, as it would make the deck far more early-mid game focused, and I wanted to make a runner who excels in the mid game. The ability would remove the need for gear-checks in the mid game, but make the late-game multi-ice servers crippling to run. It makes for some nice synergy with criminal derezzing, but in order for this to work well it should really trigger on the approach of the ice rather than at the beginning of the turn. This also has some cool effects with Standard Bearer: run HQ with a pumped-up breaker, play emergency shutdown, run remote at the now derezzed piece of ice.

You can make a expensive console playable, it just has to be overpowered.

cough

Security Nexus

2 Likes

Fair point XD