It's not that hard, and she's pretty hardcore - Leela Patel

I thought the same thing (though I’m much worse a player) and it wasn’t until seeing @Cerberus’s decks running Desperado that I had that “Ooooooooooh” feeling. I slotted her in right away as my “teach myself criminal” deck and it’s been amazing. The logos plays just seemed so meandering to me. Criminal doesn’t want to get punched and then punch back harder. Criminal wants to punch first, then punch again while it takes your wallet.

Every deck relies on luck; Leela just benefits more than most decks. Most folks getting an agenda off of RnD (always a matter of chance) gets you points, but with Leela it can get you the game.

4 Likes

Yeah, just on saturday I played against HB, and he didn’t ICE RnD first turn. I got an agenda first click, bounced HQ ICE, run HQ forma a second agenda, bounced adonis, and from there it was just snowball. You really punish bad starts like few IDs.

1 Like

I remember the day she was spoiled this past summer and your immediate panning. I was on the Jersey Shore with the family and I inquired about her power gloves and you said it was because she has to carry around a lot of HOT PANS

5 Likes

While this is obviously true. It makes me sad. Logos is really cool, pretty powerful, and I think that slower criminals could really be strong. It should have cost 2 because it’s really hard to make it comparable to Desperado. That said, if Clot slows the game down a little, does Desperado lose some of its strength? I guess it still supercharges Security Testing, that’s never going to be a bad idea.

3 Likes

I disagree, or at least disagree in criminal. A slow deck is going to have the time to get its pieces together, and Criminal already has ways to tutor up its most damaging tools or influence imports in Planned Assault. In the sort of deck that rolls a lot of connections and doesn’t run all that often, Logos does a have a place but it seems like a secondary card to other cards like Supplier.

Desperado is the kind of card that defines a playstyle; Logos is something that can enable your rig building or punishment, but for Criminal the action is going to happen on the run.

I think the inherent trouble with Logos, aside from having to compete with Desperado, is Astro Counters and Nisei Counters. They’re just too damn good to let your opponent have, and they’re going to outpower whatever you Logosed up. Maybe if Astrobiotics goes away and somehow RP becomes less popular, it would make more sense, but when the two most powerful decks get 90% of the way to a win by scoring a single agenda, Logos is a waste of space.

7 Likes

That’s what @Cerberus said, and I’m inclined to agree. It’s the same reason why it’s tough to play Iain Stirling (who is probably the most natural fit for Logos). If you’re stopping the corp scoring until they find their preferred agenda that’s not nothing. The runner doesn’t much care which agendas they score (except in the case of NAPD). I wonder if Logos would be OP if it had the same trigger as Leela (it doesn’t but it’s sometimes nice to wonder).

Was wondering the same thing actually. I tried Yog + 2x Rex, works really well (full rig is corroder / mimic / yog / datasucker / Rex / faerie). Can’t see a reason to run Zu, but apparently it works for people.

The amount of “What Ifs” that already exist in the ANR card pool are unfortunate. I attribute nearly all of these to design decisions. I seriously wonder how many years it will be until Criminal sees a Console that is as playable as Desperado. Anarchs have a legitimate alternative to Grimoire, and Toolbox got dropped as soon as Astrolabe was available. When will Desperado’s dominance be challenged?

sorry off topic complaining

3 Likes

When Forger is released. I mean 1 link has to be worth as much as 1 cred per run and 1 MU, right?

Comet…10

I really can’t wait to put Comet in my PPVP decks. Doing a Day Job - Stimhack from 0 credits is awesome.

3 Likes

Comet not good enough. Desperado rises above all because it stands on its own 2.

1 Like

As linuxmaier says, I for one was really not sure how best to build Leela when she was spoiled. See exhibit A, my godawful Keyhole deck in the first post of this thread. Many people were already writing her off and I thought I’d open up the discussion, with a flavour text pun obviously.

That said, spags is right that it’s no longer appropriate. How do you like the new one?

8 Likes

I like it a lot, thanks for giving Leela a more badass thread title–she deserves it. I’ve been absolutely thrashing with her, on OCTGN and at my FLGS. Since I started using and tweaking the @aandries and @spags build I don’t think I’ve lost more than 2 games out of at least 15. She helped me climb into top 15 in Stimhack league. Best Criminal.

Here’s what I’m at right now. I need the Plascrete because one of the fellows at our store (Redcaps) plays a sick NEH Snare!/Scorch deck that is the scariest kill deck I’ve ever played against, sorry Jinteki and Weyland.

Sneakdoor Beta just causes too many landslides to not run two. Two RDI has been fine. I’m testing out the one Forged Activation Orders at the moment–I’ve had success with it (I like the added aggression) but it may go back to Special Order for my last chance at a store champs at the end of the month.

I’m sold on the Earthrises. Just install them when you have 9 or more credits and you’ll be fine.

Event (18)
3x Account Siphon
2x Emergency Shutdown
1x Forged Activation Orders
2x Inside Job
2x Legwork
2x Lucky Find ••••
2x Special Order
1x Stimhack •
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
3x Desperado
1x Plascrete Carapace
2x R&D Interface ••••

Resource (9)
3x Earthrise Hotel
2x Kati Jones
1x Same Old Thing
2x Security Testing
1x Utopia Shard •

Icebreaker (10)
2x Cerberus “Rex” H2
2x Corroder ••••
3x Faerie
1x Femme Fatale
1x Mimic •
1x Passport

Program (2)

1 Like

like the FAO include, haven’t tested it in leela but seems like it could be good to add an additional punish in somethinng like score/steal > Siphon > FAO

1 Like

Does Leela really want to force rezzing? Or, is this just ICE destruction post-Siphon?

Right. This is for ice destruction only. In-faction Parasite, more or less. Don’t use it willy-nilly. The old classic “derez your Tollbooth, FAO it” play.

1 Like

also FAO in Leela is great to keep agression against Grail decks before rig is complete.

This question seems not too OT for this thread. In general I see a preference for Legwork over HQI. I get that, but whenever I see Sneakdoor, I wonder why HQI doesn’t get the nod.

Especially with a couple lists posted here which have gone to two sneakdoors.