It's not that hard, and she's pretty hardcore - Leela Patel

Yeah. That’s odd. Play fake dex.

Oh come on people, you all missed the most important thing about Dave’s list!

10 Likes

I brought Spag’s RP and MasterAir’s Edward Kim to Sheffield and missed the cut by one win, and I threw the very last game away in epic fashion for a live studio audience. But I didn’t play against any RP, or see anyone else playing it.

Apart from just anti-net decking / playing for fun /hipsterism not wanting to play the top deck, maybe RP gets less than usual players because of the long grinding nature of them? I seem to remember a lot of discussion about people playing Astrobiotics over RP at worlds for this reason. I was already suffering from massive tunnel-vision in the 6th round at Sheffield, and went from 9-1 to 9-5 to miss the cut in Manchester – maybe I hold it together better if a fast match gives me a half hour break at some point.

I kinda agree with this. I’m not sure that it’s because it’s grindy but rather because it’s very long and tends to lead to going over time.

I didn’t have room for Mr Li, or the influence for Memstrips, otherwise I’d just turn the deck into a Dan trolling deck. :wink:

13 Likes

If you’re a fast player, this isn’t a concern. When I played against @ptwiddle in Manchester regionals (55m rounds, it should be noted), it was (Reg Ass and) RP vs (Kate and) RP, and we had plenty of time after the round despite neither of the games being immediately over in 2 turns because of flood or something.

I guess you’re right in that it doesn’t suit slow players, but I don’t think it’s a concern that affects people that can play quickly. I’m sceptical about claims that it’s particularly mentally taxing on the pilot, either: any deck you play will be mentally taxing.

2 Likes

If playing RP is a time concern for you its probably an indication that you should learn to play faster, but its still fair that it’ll put some players off.

7 Likes

Yeah, this is something I don’t agree with, tournaments are mentally challenging and taxing in general. It’s not like you go and only have fun and don’t use your brain at all.

I’m not sure a fast player would fear playing RP because he thought he would be too slow. A fast player would be concerned about how his opponent’s speed. (I don’t consider myself a good player, I’m decent (at best) but I am somewhat fast. However, I’m not sure I would bring RP to a tournament because I’m afraid that I would face slow players. And I can’t really slap the opponent in the face and tell him to hurry the fuck up.)

1 Like

That’s an advantage, to me. I like the grind, and am patient. My opponent is usually more broken than each failed access than I am by the occasional early Nisei stolen. The Blacklist now allows for the figure four leg lock to be slowly solidified for a nigh lockout. Been loving RP in its current form. Have even been enjoying the damage build again, where a hand of Fetals and Snarea becomes Legwork deth.

5 Likes

I feel like there’s an amusing (if fairly useless) article to be written about the optimum way to play each deck to get the psychological advantage over your opponent, in terms of body language. I always felt like playing NEH quickly made my opponent feel like they were under even more pressure than they were, while playing RP deliberately and methodically probably makes them feel like they’re just being slowly crushed.

9 Likes

That’s why when I play Boot camp Blue Sun, I ask how many cards the runner has in hand at the beginning of each turn.

6 Likes

I can do this.

8 Likes

What triggered you? Useless? :flushed:

1 Like

I haven’t quit playing, but I do feel that with the meta shifting these last couple data packs, people are getting ‘free’ tech against me, while I lose a lot of my free tech against FA/rush.

Just won a 10 person GNK with your exact list, @Cerberus . (I was tired of practicing Kate for regionals.) I really like it. Amusingly, 3/4 opponents were ETF. The NEXT ICE matchup was rough, but leaning on Kati and R&D interface pulled me through. As log as your draws aren’t in the absolute wrong order, I don’t see that much of a problem with lasting against glacier. Tougher matchup, but not bad. Power turns may be more expensive, but they’re still devastating. Would have liked one more Legwork, as it never seemed to show up when I wanted it, but I’m not sure what I’d cut, or if I’d drop it for an HQI.

1 Like

@Cerberus: Been running a (probably worse) version of your old list for a while, and that looks even better, 46th card be damned. Looking forward to giving it a swing and seeing how it plays all tuned up.

I honestly prefer Crash Space. It’s not as powerful at stopping death, but it’s easier to run two of them, and if you intend to Siphon/need to run through Data Ravens it reduces the tax involved pretty substantially. Not as great against midseasons if they do the smart thing and trash 'em first, so Butchershop remains a bear, but reducing the tax of Gutenberg is still worth it in my eyes.

2 Likes

Playing Crash Space over Plascrete appeals to me. A card that has multiple uses beyond stopping Scorched seems like a good way to gain value. Seems good against the rise of cards like Data Raven too

4 Likes

I’m glad you guys are enjoying the deck. Thanks for playing it.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s also just there to deal with my biggest issue with Siphon in a non-tag me deck – having to clear those makes things so much more painful and Siphon so much less good, but Lawyer Up still isn’t worth it. If I only clear a tag per Crash Space, I just lose a click. If I clear any extra tags at all, it’s value. Works nicely against Snares, Data Raven, Gutenberg, Siphon Tags, clearing Midseasons if they don’t land a kill right away or trash them (my deck changes some influence around to squeeze a Utopia Shard in as well, part of the “probably worse” thing), avoiding too many issues from John Masanori if your deck uses him, all kinds of things even if they aren’t running or landing kills. Seems well worth it in comparison to Plascrete, which keeps you safer but is largely a dead draw/install in other matchups.

[quote=“Cerberus, post:766, topic:2071, full:true”]
I’m glad you guys are enjoying the deck. Thanks for playing it.
[/quote]Thanks for making it and helping popularize her! And you’re more than welcome.

2 Likes

Anyone giving Gang Sign a try? I made a few minor changes to my Leela deck to accomodate it (I think I went -1 Bank Job -1 Plascrete (leaving 1) -2 Legwork +2 Gang Sign +2 HQ Interface) and it looks like a pretty reasonable in-place improvement to up post-scoring pressure. Possible downsides is that it forces you to access HQ against decks that might be packing snares, but those aren’t really bad matchups in my experience and it’s ok in that case to just not install gang sign.

Improvements would be against glacier in the late game, any fast advance ever and any punitive/midseason decks since the trigger causes the steals to happen on the corp’s turn. Also, I believe that you can have gang sign trigger before Leela’s bounce, hitting a softer HQ than usual post-score.

3 Likes